Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 12:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,939,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I know this aspect has been talked about in similar threads, but another reason you won't see mandatory paternity testing coming any time soon, is that not every guy is comfortable with giving up his DNA for whatever purpose....detection of crime, etc. I think there are plenty out there who really wouldn't trust the government to only use the samples for paternity testing alone.

There wouldn't be any reason to think that it also couldn't eventually be used to see if this dad had other kids out there he may have fathered.
Its hard to go through because of the Catholic faith influence, the science misuse such as cloning, money, who holds power in office, the judiciary powers, and so forth.

The stem cells research wasn't wanted either.

People fear change. And with change the crazies like always will come out.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,588,299 times
I think automatic DNA tests on every newborn will become the norm eventually. DNA tests increasingly provide more information about possible health issues. They do more than just prove paternity. I recently had one done through 23andme for the purpose of researching my family. I am amazed at the information that can be gained through a DNA test. And that information will increase in the coming years.

I think it is shortsighted to frame this as a man/woman battle of the sexes issue. The reality is privacy is going the way of the dodo bird. That's both good and bad at the same time.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,120 times
I don't know I guess I never experienced the ol gotcha moment for me to take this seriously. I think Maury Povich got you cats paranoid. If you are in a relationship or marriage, and you suspect your woman is messing around, deal with it!!! Don't sleep with her, handle your business and see what the deal is!! Don't get her pregnant and then talk about, "how many of my boys were you sleeping with?" I just can't imagine if you truly trusted and loved your woman, and she became pregnant, the first words out of a mans mouth is "is it mine" And if you are a man that paranoid and think most women are shady like that, strap it up, get fixed or join a monastary. That way you don't have to worry about it and can sleep good at night.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think automatic DNA tests on every newborn will become the norm eventually. DNA tests increasingly provide more information about possible health issues. They do more than just prove paternity. I recently had one done through 23andme for the purpose of researching my family. I am amazed at the information that can be gained through a DNA test. And that information will increase in the coming years.

I think it is shortsighted to frame this as a man/woman battle of the sexes issue. The reality is privacy is going the way of the dodo bird. That's both good and bad at the same time.
Agreed animinity will be minimal.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,209,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post

Honestly, I don't care if it becomes mandatory or not but I just don't see it happening. I think too many people would oppose it. And I agree that this isn't a battle of the sexes issue - it's a privacy issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
I don't know I guess I never experienced the ol gotcha moment for me to take this seriously. I think Maury Povich got you cats paranoid. If you are in a relationship or marriage, and you suspect your woman is messing around, deal with it!!! Don't sleep with her, handle your business and see what the deal is!! Don't get her pregnant and then talk about, "how many of my boys were you sleeping with?" I just can't imagine if you truly trusted and loved your woman, and she became pregnant, the first words out of a mans mouth is "is it mine" And if you are a man that paranoid and think most women are shady like that, strap it up, get fixed or join a monastary. That way you don't have to worry about it and can sleep good at night.
Yeah - my husband laughed at me if I asked him if ever considered getting a paternity test for our son! Well, he laughs at a lot of the threads on here. Maybe laugh isn't the right word - rolls his eyes is more like it!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
True abstinance only truly works. B.C is not 100 proof. Plus loyalty. However people change all the time. The older I get, the more I see what some humans are capable of. My mom is very trustworthy and that makes her vulnerable. The mind is a wonderful thing but it can turn.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,525,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
True abstinance only truly works. B.C is not 100 proof. Plus loyalty. However people change all the time. The older I get, the more I see what some humans are capable of. My mom is very trustworthy and that makes her vulnerable. The mind is a wonderful thing but it can turn.

Not saying there aren't crappy people out there, but my goodness, if people are that paranoid about people and don't want children, then they should just be abstinent. A person just cannot be in a loving relationship without trust, and asking your partner a question like this, makes me ask the man why are you with the woman in the first place, if you have to ask a question like this? No different than a woman asking a man every day, who he messin with, who did he sleep with last night?, if she thinks every man she is with is cheating, stop dating men then!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:48 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,365,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkY91 View Post
I don't think anyone likes the idea of going around as the happy cuckhold.
Paranoid headcases don't sound so good either.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,054,579 times
What does government or society gain by mandatory testing? Absolutely nothing, it would actually hurt government and in turn society.

Wanting the government to step in and do something for you just because you're too scared to have a difficult conversation with your spouse is being a weak ass male. If this is an issue to you, deal with it and don't ask government to coddle you because you're scared.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 PM

1,340 posts, read 1,631,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
That is what I am wondering. If they have some sort of suspicion the kid isn't theirs why can't they take ownership of the decision to get a paternity test.

I wouldn't stop my husband at any time if he wanted a paternity test. I think it would be naive to say though that I wouldn't have any thoughts or opinions on it, and I shouldn't express them because they might make him afraid. But hey, my husband isn't the kind of guy who would want big brother to make something mandatory because he'd be too afraid to address the issue on his own.

Obviously they guys who are too afraid to pursue paternity testing without government intervention are the guys who are too afraid to lobby for it to become law.
I think the logic is this. When you enter the mall, you know that the logic controller is at the exit way near the cashier so it's going to start beeping if you try to hide something in your pockets, bags, or something else. You don't see it as a sign that they think that YOU will steal something. They just make sure that if you do it, you won't get away. And you know that it's generally for other people who are prone to steal. In fact, it gives the thieves a second thought and they need to resort to other, more complicated methods that are often unworthy of being pulled in your mall. Especially with the video-surveillance present inside and outside of the mall.

However, using the same analogy doesn't work in paternity testing. General attitude on this forum and in real-world is that women feel offended on mere note that the guy just wants to get it done out of curiosity. It just doesn't work. Your opinion doesn't work and it irretrievably destroys lots of things because the woman finds it insulting for her and it is used as a catalyst to distance from the potential father of the child. Many fathers might even "pack the whole deal" in a "naive" way but it'll get struck down. Which is why it isn't being done regularly even though various varieties of "paternity exclusion" (excluding possibility of being the father) existed since the beginning of 20th century, one of which is now quite precise except in case of identical twins, which is the tricky part since tests of such magnitude aren't developed yet.

Take note that there are numerous laws that work directly in the favor of the mother and to block the father from voicing his concerns or to ever know the truth. It has been discussed many times before on this same forum.
But the bottom-line is that in case of relationship-going-south, mother gets child custody by default. What kind of father would want to risk that? So they will never even voice their concern... but numerous paternity tests are done anonymously. Close to HALF of those tests are bought and supposedly done in secrecy by mothers-in-law. Probably because they think it's noteworthy to do it and because they know that their sons will never have the "liberty" to do it themselves. Take note that anonymous paternity tests became the legal battleground for numerous "woman organizations", lobbying for the ban of those testings. United States have the most liberal anonymous testing procedures and thus the Americans are the most liberal in doing those tests in general. Not only that the number of paternity tests done via court orders is way over 300,000, there is just about the same amount of paternity tests done anonymously and its numbers are on the rise. Pay note that less than 4,000,000 children are born in the USA in the last year and legal costs for approximately 400,000 tests and legal fees involved to do the testing has already surpassed the rumored costs to implement state-procedure of testing the newborn children.

Believe it or not - no guy would ever object if the government would implement it. No matter what they say. It's really ridiculous to think otherwise while living in a country that actively discourages it both legally and via other means, yet it still has large number of children that are subjected to DNA testing each year, both on courts and via anonymous testing via internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting