Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Maybe your son, after seeing you get fired and blackballed again and again for your behaviour, feels you have made your own bed and that you don't deserve his hard earned money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're forgetting that it's possible. What if your mother can't financially or physically live on her own near her friends? It may happen someday. What if you have nobody else to care for you after a severely disabling stroke? That can happen too. I'm not saying anyone wants this. I'm saying anything is possible. Even the best plans can fail. I'm sure the 22-year-old's father is horrified that his son is taking care of him. But there is nobody else. Not a soul. It can happen to any of us. We have no idea what the future has in store for us.
That's what long term care insurance is for. If you don't start paying those premiums by the time you are 55 or 60, you are a fool.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 PM

442 posts, read 588,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back when my son was growing up and working so hard and we pushed him for success because we saw a special talent in him, we always said once you are an adult and are a millionaire, you can support your Mom and Dad.

Now that boy is a man and is in fact a millionaire. We would like to believe that part of his success is a result of us pushing him to succeed. So we are in part responsible for his success.

Is it his responsibility to send us money now we don't work anymore and no employer will hire my wife and I- too old?

It seems this blessing your son would otherwise experience... in gifting you with money... was turned into something to be used to guilt him into doing this or that for you instead. With the guilt trip you attached, he probably won't touch it. Meaning he won't go there so no money for you. Just my guess...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM

528 posts, read 823,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
No, we owe it to our kids to help them grow and become what they can be, and do well in life, so they, in turn can do the same for their children.

IF they succeed, they owe us nothing in return.

Seeing them succeed is all the reward you should expect.
There you go.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Wow. What a self-centered thing to say. Your parents raised you, fed you, clothed you, wiped your ass, stayed up all night with you when you were sick, educated you, went to your baseball games, helped you with your homework, taught you to ride a bike, and the list goes on and on and on.

Now, true to form, this is where half a dozen posters will start to gin up all these outrages in order to justify their self-centeredness. As in:

"Why my parents never fed me. When I was two, I lived off Rice Krispies that I picked up off the kitchen floor and had to change my own diapers. I was fed a steady died of ground glass and arsenic while the parents took terms beating me with unyielding metal objects. My father never called me by my name, but rather just called me by the nickname Ugly. They would leave me for days at a time with 38 cents to buy groceries at age seven and actually forgot to pick me up from school once for six weeks, where I lived off what I could scrounge in the cafeteria."

When my Dad dropped dead, I worked a second job to support my mom until she could get back on her feet. Just handed her the check. And while I don't have to do it now, if my eighty-year-old mother needed money, you bet your sweet ass I'd stroke her a check. Because she's my damn mother, that's why.

Mind you, I'm well-off now, so my kids will almost certainly never have to support me. And I would live in a cardboard refrigerator carton under the interstate before I'd ask. But we've taught them that family is supremely important. And a person who is not loyal to his own family, then he isn't loyal to anyone.
You know I love ya my friend, and we agree about 99.9% of the time , but you are a little off the mark here in my opinion.

Sadly, there are too many parents that have done NOTHING to earn or deserve "loyalty" - their kids survived and thrived IN SPITE OF THEM, not because of them.

PLENTY of good decent folks are completely capable of loyalty to others without remaining loyal to their parents.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to show compassion for the pathetic creatures their parents are, they just don't "owe" them more than compassion.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM

165 posts, read 132,716 times
As a parent I don't think I would ever consider this as an option to think my child should support me.

As a child of my parents, I do think about supporting them if the need arises. Not because I am wealthy but because it is my duty to take care of my parents if the need should arise. This is not limited to finances but includes, mental, physical support as well.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I think it's relative to how good a parent were you?

If you were a neglectful, abusive, parent and your kids succeed they don't owe you ****!

The succeeded in spite of you, not because of.

Now if you were "Parent of The Year" and your kid went to college because of you and he's now VP of finance.........I say the do owe the parents and should feel an obligation to reciprocate.

The VP of fiance is a true story of someone I know of. They ran from the Soviet Union made it to America, Dad busted his a** making good $$$ at UAW making car parts, sent his son to the best school and he now runs a large branch of intl bank in Singapore. And yes he treats his parents well, paying for some of their retirement and flying them to Asia on his dime.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-03-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Back when my son was growing up and working so hard and we pushed him for success because we saw a special talent in him, we always said once you are an adult and are a millionaire, you can support your Mom and Dad.

Now that boy is a man and is in fact a millionaire. We would like to believe that part of his success is a result of us pushing him to succeed. So we are in part responsible for his success.

Is it his responsibility to send us money now we don't work anymore and no employer will hire my wife and I- too old?
It is not his responsibility, but some people will send a check. My husband fully intends to give money to his sister (raised him) once he's set in a career and we have a little extra coming in. He's from a completely different culture than the mainstream culture in this country, though.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I think it's relative to how good a parent were you?

If you were a neglectful, abusive, parent and your kids succeed they don't owe you ****!

The succeeded in spite of you, not because of.

Now if you were "Parent of The Year" and your kid went to college because of you and he's now VP of finance.........I say the do owe the parents and should feel an obligation to reciprocate.

The VP of fiance is a true story of someone I know of. They ran from the Soviet Union made it to America, Dad busted his a** making good $$$ at UAW making car parts, sent his son to the best school and he now runs a large branch of intl bank in Singapore. And yes he treats his parents well, paying for some of their retirement and flying them to Asia on his dime.
And if the parent believes he is "parent of the year" and the child feels neglected/abused....then what?

Last edited by Jaded; 12-03-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 09:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's what long term care insurance is for. If you don't start paying those premiums by the time you are 55 or 60, you are a fool.
This young man's father is very well off. He is 55, btw. After digging through his office, we discovered he has over 4 million in assets, along with every insurance imaginable. And that 4 million doesn't even include his retirement funds. The clincher is that nobody can access his assets because he had a stroke. The doctors says he's capable of making decisions for himself, and he refuses to sign power of attorney. Meanwhile, the son doesn't even want access to the money. He wants to prove to his father that he is responsible and capable of managing everything without touching a penny of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting