Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Specifically little girls. As I was driving home this morning, I hear an ad for a "day spa" for girls 8 years and up... .they have facials, manicures, pedicures, etc etc etc..... Please tell my why an 8 year old would need a facial? Or a mani? Or a pedi????

I've never been to a spa, but I would think these things should be geared more toward older girls (16 & above) who are out with their friends for a 'girls day' or something. There is no reason that an 8 year old needs any of this nonsense.

My DD is 11 and I have never even allowed her to wear nail polish because it's not necessary. Yes, I allow her lip gloss but that's it. No other makeup, nail polish or anything else.

Am I out of the loop on something here?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Specifically little girls. As I was driving home this morning, I hear an ad for a "day spa" for girls 8 years and up... .they have facials, manicures, pedicures, etc etc etc..... Please tell my why an 8 year old would need a facial? Or a mani? Or a pedi????

I've never been to a spa, but I would think these things should be geared more toward older girls (16 & above) who are out with their friends for a 'girls day' or something. There is no reason that an 8 year old needs any of this nonsense.

My DD is 11 and I have never even allowed her to wear nail polish because it's not necessary. Yes, I allow her lip gloss but that's it. No other makeup, nail polish or anything else.

I have 4 girls, all of which have put on nail polish and even make-up from time to time starting at fairly young ages. But it was mostly because they were playing dress-up and having tea parties.

I don't see there being a problem with occasionally allowing young girls a spa day especially if it is a mother - daughter day. It is a fun way to interact with each other and build fond memories.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Kids like to do what adults do. That's how they learn to grow up.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
I like the idea. I would much rather see a spa just for kids then see them at a spa meant for adults, many of whom are there to get some rest and relaxation away from their own kids for a few hours.
With that said, my daughter and I paint each others nails all the time at home (much, much cheaper). It's a nice way to spend time together - much better than plopping her in front of the tv while I get on the computer.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,438,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

I am strongly with the OP; but will let her and others like her (already in a minority) elaborate on the topic, as any "critiques" coming from non-American-born-and-raised usually land on rocky ground.

In the meantime, check out the link below or just do a search on TLC.com, for "toddler tiaras". Then watch some of those videos. It's "beautiful".

Search Results : toddler, tiaras : TLC

Old 02-16-2010, 08:29 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
I don't think it's anything new for girls to want to play "grown up", someone just found a way to try and capitalize on it. If there is not enough interest in it then it will close up.

I have always let my DD play with nail polish and makeup. Going to the salon for the works was like a day at Disneyland for her. It hasn't made her grow up too fast. She's 16 and rarely uses makeup and hasn't got caught up in the "I have a boyfriend" mentality. I think the special time helps them to form a common bond with mom and keeps them feeling special.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I don't see what the problem is with a day spa. It's a fun way to pamper yourself. Kids like to feel special just like adults. Children identify with a particular gender and attach their identity to things that are "girly" or "manly" and they want to do those things just like adults. I don't see any harm in kids having a special girls day.

Do you limit yourself only to things that are "necessary"? We certainly don't. While I think kids should be taught to value money, I do not think that it serves them well to act like adults only spend their money on things they "need". Adult spend plenty of money on things they "want", we need to teach kids to learn to make choices as well.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:50 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
"Playing dress up" or having "tea parties" is much different than going to a "spa" and having facials, manis, pedis, etc.

My daughter is an extremely "girly-girl" but I still don't let her wear makeup or nail polish. Yes, I will allow her lip gloss (helps prevent chapped lips, anyway) and she has scented body wash and body spray. She knows how I feel about young girls wearing makeup. There are girls in her class (at 11 years old) who wear eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, and have fake nails. There are also girls who have Coach bags (real) and iPod Touch's and things of that nature.

Can someone tell me.... if you're allowing your child all these things at such a young age, what in the world do they have to look forward to? If they're carrying expensive handbags and gadgets at 11, what are they going to want next? If you're bringing them for "spa days" at 8, what are they going to want at 12???

It's all a part of "growing up" but don't you think things should come in stages?? For a "girls day", why not just take your 8 year old to Friendlys for lunch and then a little shopping? Why a "spa day"?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
To the OP, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm 48 and when I was a kid, manicures and pedicures at a "spa" were very extravagant things that wealthy adult ladies did. Now there's a nail shop on every corner and some people have them done every 2 weeks as a matter of course. Walk by a big place in the mall and you'll see females from 8 to 80 in there getting their nails done. It's not the same level of luxury that it used to be.

As others have said, kids like to imitate adults. One of the first things my dd ever bought with her own money was a manicure. That fascination lasted a couple of months and now she never thinks about it or asks to go to the nail place. Same with her hair. For about 6 months she had to have an absolutely perfectly smooth pony tail in the morning. Now she just sticks it in a clip and runs out the door. It's all bits and pieces of growing up.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am strongly with the OP; but will let her and others like her (already in a minority) elaborate on the topic, as any "critiques" coming from non-American-born-and-raised usually land on rocky ground.

In the meantime, check out the link below or just do a search on TLC.com, for "toddler tiaras". Then watch some of those videos. It's "beautiful".

Search Results : toddler, tiaras : TLC
Now see I have a problem with Toddlers and Tiaras and anything remotely close to it. IMO in these instances the parents are pushing their kids to grow up to fast. The saddest part is they are also teaching their kids that one has to be beautiful in order to make it through life.

To some degree I have issues with beauty pagents of any kind. But more so when it's for young kids. I know that beauty pagents are a way of showing grace, well fit bodies and that beautiful people also have brains and not air between their ears. But if we saw the true behind the scenes of these pagents we would see that the contestants are anything but graceful and that their beauty is only skin deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting