Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

My girls are years away from dating but when they do the guys will be required to come inside, say hello, turn their pockets out and be frisked- well maybe not that bad but I do want to see who they will be going out with. And I will require they write down his name and phone number.
Do parents do that anymore? no kid is going to honk on his horn in the driveway and expect my daughter to run to him.

Saw a study today which said NO girls in the questionnaire had been asked out face to face. It is all done by e mail or phone these days! What kind of social interaction is that? I know the fear of rejection is terrible but we all have to live through that somewhere in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
My husband and I talked about this and he wants the dates to come to the door. If I know the boy already from casual visits, I think it's fine to "honk" for casual dates. But like the OP, it's years away.

I do think at the very minimum you should know what the date looks like.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
I wonder why you ask specifically about girls. I don't recall if you have boys.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wonder why you ask specifically about girls. I don't recall if you have boys.
If you have boys, would you require the girls go to the door and pick them up instead? (genuinely curious)

If my girls visit a boy, I would hope they would go to the door and greet the parents.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:41 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Well its a long way off yet but I expect it'll be the same as it was for me growing up - if she's going out somewhere with a boy she'll meet him there. I don't expect him to come and meet me unless it gets serious.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
None of my girls have ever gone anywhere with a guy unless I have met them. Even if they've met me before we have never had anyone come and beep in the driveway. They always come in even if they are going right back out.

I've never told them they can't beep in the driveway, this is just something they always do.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If you have boys, would you require the girls go to the door and pick them up instead? (genuinely curious)

If my girls visit a boy, I would hope they would go to the door and greet the parents.
If you were the mother of a girl, you would require it of HER date. But as the mother of a boy, maybe not so much?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

887 posts, read 1,100,019 times
My daughter is 17. She has some boys who are classmates, or coworkers who she goes out with that I don't expect to meet them all. However, if she is going out on a date, she feels that this individual is somebody she is willing to move on to the next level with, I feel it is my privilege to be able to meet him.

My daughter, I feel, has a pretty level head on her. I trust, based on our relationship, she makes some pretty good decisions for herself. But I'll be honest, the only reason I feel we have that trust is because from her earliest years, I've been up front and honest with her. Teaching her that from the years of 15 to 25, the choices you make could have huge repercussions. She has a responsibility to love and respect herself before any one else can.

She does choose poorly sometimes and that's ok. She is still a kid.

Sorry, I got way off track here.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If you were the mother of a girl, you would require it of HER date. But as the mother of a boy, maybe not so much?
What do you mean? I said I would want my girls go the door if they were going over to the boy's house?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We didn't require anything...by the time our kids were dating age (high school) they had proven they could pick the right kind of kids to hang out with and we trusted their judgement, and quite frankly are a better judge of the kids then we were since they saw these kids away from adults. Sometimes we met them before they went on a date, sometimes not, usually not until they were "going out" or as the new slang is "Facebook Official". This goes along with the thread of kids being born bad...if you expect they will pick disrespectful boys (or girls as it applies), then that is exactly what you will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting