Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Headaches are not normal in children. That's what my pediatrician told me. I only mentioned it in passing. An MRI to rule out a brain tumor. (My uncle died of a brain tumor at 17 years old.) Other tests were done too. It took quite a while to get to the bottom of the headaches. Physical therapy was the solution. It had something to do with the muscles between the shoulders.

I remember my girlfriend (since first grade) had headaches throughout her childhood. He mother would say it was the weight of her long hair. Years later, when we were teens, it turned out her body had too much copper.

Exhaustion isn't normal either. Some kids need 12 hours sleep. Make sure that's not the problem. 10 might not be enough. I was always tired. My mother was a nurse. She was always dragging me off the doctor to have my iron checked for anemia. My iron was fine. It turns out I had a B-12 deficiency. It might sound simplistic, but too much or too little of some nutrients are serious health issues that can do permanent damage to the body.

Make an appointment with the pediatrician and talk to him about your daughter's symptoms. In addition to what I shared, many things can cause headaches---poor posture, anxiety, etc. But headaches aren't normal for children so it should be pursued. I would be concerned about headaches and exhaustion together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 19,196 times
I hope you take your daughter to the doctor and find what the problem is. It could be so many things! For me it turned out to be a food intolerance- just another possibility to keep in mind.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
My one hospitalization occurred when I was 7. I am severely ADD (was undiagnosed back then) and had anxiety issues. I literally was worrying myself ill - frequent stomach aches and inability to sleep. One of my cousin's kids has a similar problem (as I was, he is a high-performing student at 6) where he cannot "turn his brain off" and he is frequently exhausted during the day.

I would monitor her actual SLEEP time, not just the time she spends in bed. It doesn't have to be ADD, but little kids can fixate and worry. They have entire emotional lives that adults know nothing about.

It might be as simple as her learning "self-soothing" relaxation techniques - I am trying to find a kid's book on meditation for my cousin's kid right now, actually.

Don't worry - this is probably something that is highly fixable.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I check out a gluten intolerance or other food allergy - that can be brutal

Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
7 y.o.I assume she still goes to a Pediatrician. Talk to him/her.If it is something from the school there are probably other kids with the same symptoms. A local Pediatrician is going to be more meaningful than all the well meaning posters here on CD.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,780 times
I agree that you should take your daughter to the doctor. I think it may be helpful though to do some research before you go and to look for other possible symptoms. I have a dd who has some health problems, and she has undergone most of the tests mentioned on this thread including allergy testing, Celiac disease (gluten), anemia, metabolic panel (for glucose, calcium etc.), thyroid testing, EEGs, and a brain MRI.

She was given most of these tests because she had other symptoms and risk factors. For example, thyroid problems run in our family, so that made sense to test. She received the brain MRI because of unusual neurological symptoms. It was helpful though that I kept track of these symptoms before we saw the neurologist. See if you can track to see if there are certain events, foods etc. that trigger the headaches or the exhaustion. This kind of information can be helpful when you go to the doctor.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Please take your child to a pediatrician. Diet and poor fluid intake are common culprits in childhood fatigue.

Headaches in children are very common and 99% of them are totally benign, and was pointed out above usually caused by dehydration. The glass of water is usually what cures headaches and not the OTC Tylenol you take with it.

Headaches

Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,217,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
While a full day of school can be tiring what you describe does not seem normal to me. She needs a complete physical including diabetes check. Is she any different on the weekends? Does she seem particularly stressed out- stress can quickly tire out all ages of people.
I would second this. A couple of weeks ago, after noticing some things that were a bit off with my 5 year old DD, we ended up taking her to the ER and are now living the life of a Type 1 diabetic.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
As a family where all 3 of us have chronic Lyme - I immediately thought the same thing.

To OP, if you ask the doc about it, they may not take you seriously... if they DO - you want the IGeneX test - NOT the Eliza... We were all Eliza negative and IGeneX positive! Very important!
It's "ELISA" - enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. It is often negative during the early stages of Lyme disease.

And the iGeneX test gives a lot of false positives.

Many tests to diagnose Lyme, but no proof they do - Metro - The Boston Globe

Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I would also take her to a doctor. It might be normal but fatigue can be a sign of serious medical issues. Especially with headaches. Headaches aren't normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting