Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:03 AM

399 posts, read 685,666 times

Advertisements

I need to vent! I just had the STUPIDEST argument with my 17 year old son. We had the radio on and the station was playing Christmas songs. I made the simple comment that "If you weren't Christian, and had to listen to these songs on the radio, wouldn't it bug you" -which he replied- this isn't Christmas music. There is nothing religious in Rudolph. I said- it is about rudolph pulling santa's sleigh on Christmas eve! and Santa comes from St. Nicholas! It is a Christmas song! It is only played during the Christmas season!! My original comment was not about rudolph- it was about all Christmas music. I tried to illustrate what I meant by saying that if I wanted to listen to country music but when I turned the radio on and there was some other religion's holiday music on I would not like it since I wanted to hear country music. So it led to him saying they don't play Christmas music in the big cities! I said that there are people of other religions everywhere not just in the city and these radio stations can be tuned in almost everywhere nowadays. Basically it boiled down to whether this is really Christmas music since they don't sing about God/Jesus and he felt it wouldn't bug anyone cuz it had a cool tune to it.
For heaven's sake- It wasn't meant to be such a literal comment that had to be proven/disproven by being so scrutinized!!!
Why is he sooooo argumentative and disagreeable??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Yes. Rudolph is a Christmas time song.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Because he is 17!

I see his point, Rudolph includes none of the Christian aspects of the holiday. BUT were it not for the Christian traditions, the pagan ones would not likely have survived the test of time. So there would be no Rudolph.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 AM

24 posts, read 29,011 times
Maybe he's against the over materialism of today's Christmas holiday.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Your comment wasn't simple. It gets to the heart of a VERY complicated issue: religious freedom.

Do you expect your son to always agree with you? I think that's what you should consider. I would be glad he is good at critical thinking and analysis.

It's a PAIN, for sure, but it's a skill that will serve him well.

Also, in before the lock!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It's a Santa song, not a religious Christmas song.

He's wrong about Christmas music not being played in big cities though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Your comment wasn't simple. It gets to the heart of a VERY complicated issue: religious freedom.

Do you expect your son to always agree with you? I think that's what you should consider. I would be glad he is good at critical thinking and analysis.

It's a PAIN, for sure, but it's a skill that will serve him well.
He's not really good at it yet, but he's practicing. That's a good thing.

It's clear he learned it from the OP. They were both right and wrong on some points.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
"....then one foggy Christmas eve, Santa came to say..."

I'm still wondering how Rudolph got such a RED nose Personally think he was a brown noser for Santa, lol.

Many radio stations, small and large from DC to NY play such music around the holidays. Remember hearing these on the radio and tv specials since I was a kid.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's a Santa song, not a religious Christmas song.

He's wrong about Christmas music not being played in big cities though.

He's not really good at it yet, but he's practicing. That's a good thing.

It's clear he learned it from the OP. They were both right and wrong on some points.
Agreed on all points. 17 yos like to argue, at least mine did at that age.

Denver has a station that plays all Christmas music from Nov. 1 on till Dec. 26.
Homepage - KOSI 101

Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM

399 posts, read 685,666 times
Santa comes on Christmas eve, it has Christian origins. Santa is a religious symbol.

Anyway, I think my point is getting lost. All I had said to begin with was that some people may not like hearing the Christmas music when they turned on the country station- obviously they want to hear country! That is all. It wasn't meant to be a big argument and that is what upset me. I do believe some people who are not Christian may be annoyed at that and I'm not arguing about religious freedom- just a blatant statement that is probably true for some other folks out there. I find it ridiculous that he chose to make an arguement about it with weak points such as it not being a Christmas song when I was referrring to ALL holiday songs and then saying the big cities dont play it anyway and such.
He has been so hard to get along with lately in other ways also- I suppose that contributed to my being upset. Very negative and just picking on his siblings.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I think of Rudolph as a secular song same as White Christmas, Jingle Bells and Baby, It's Cold Outside, etc...

I was brought up in a pretty strict church going family. I'm pretty much agnostic nowdays - I still like to hear the old songs I grew up with , even those that are really religious like "What Child is this? " because they remind me of my childhood on a Midwest farm and Christmas Eve candlelight ceremonies....

But I can def. see your point - I don't listen to regular radio much, was every song a Christmas one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting