Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM

33 posts, read 47,717 times

Advertisements

We have used our nanny on and off for the last few years. She has been with us full time since last July. We considered replacing her as our triplets are now two and she is a very large woman (350 lbs). This wasn't a problem when the kids were babies. However, we need someone who can get the boys outside and run around and tire them out. Our nanny gets winded walking one block to the bus stop to pick up our 4 year old boy. I have felt like a bad person for wanting a nanny that is in better physical shape but the job calls for it. Four boys ages 4,2,2,2!!!!!!!

What really has turned the tide was transportation problems for the nanny since her family has one car. Her husband got a new job and switched from 9-5 to 1-9. We spoke with her multiple times when the problems began in October and asked her if she was getting another car. She said they were looking but having a hard time finding something they could afford. She is paid $750 a week by us! That's not enough to afford an inexpensive car? We've tried to be accommodating by packing the kid up and driving her home(at least six times) and even letting her borrow my car(at least four times). Fast forward six months later and no resolution. The kids love her so we've put up with more than we should. After being assertive with her, we really don't want to give ultimatums and anger someone caring for our kids.

It's time to move on don't you think?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Yes.

Reliable transportation is a must for a nanny.

You can't really speculate on a family's financial situation because you never really know the whole story. But in your new search, you can just make a vehicle a requirement.

We had friends who had a nanny that weighed at least that much. I don't know how she took care of the three kids, but they kept her all throughout their childhood. But she did have her own Suburban.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times
We have a nanny who lives with us and cares for our 3 boys...oldest in third grade but we have now 5 yr old twin boys who will start Kindergarten next fall. She has been with us since the twins were 6 months old.

Knowing our twin boys over the years and in the past 2 years how active they are playing baseball, football, wrestling, they will want to do that with the nanny. At least ours do. As the 2 yr olds get just a bit older the more crazy and active they will get and will require her much attention. If you feel she may not be able to handle the activity, then you may seriously need to look for others.

I dont say this because a woman is overweight, as there are many average weight people who have trouble keeping up with the demands of toddlers. For the health and well being you got to find someone.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
if you are truly afraid she might take her anger out on your children she doesn't sound like the kind of person anyone would want with their kids.
But if you decide to terminate her do it swiftly. none of this 2 week notice crap. hire somebody else give them a starting date and then terminate this woman the day before with a GENEROUS severance pay...at least 2 weeks. This will give her the equivalent of 2 weeks notice and eliminate your worries about how she may react.
Explain to her that your boys are getting to the stage that they really need more activity than she can provide. Under no circumstances mention her weight. Believe me she is very aware she is obese and can't be active.

But this makes me wonder why a severely obese person is hired to be a nanny in the first place. We all know kids get attached to their caretakers, especially if they have known them since birth. Were parents not aware that the older the kid gets the more active they become? Did they think a 350 lb woman is going to miraculously lose significant weight by the time the kids are active?
My concern ,other than inactivity for my kids, would be that such a person would have a heart attack or stroke or fall down and be injured while taking care of my kids.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Why not consider having a parent stay home and raise your boys?? No one is going to do as good of a job as you will with your own children.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 AM

She was a good fit for our family when she had reliable transportation and the kids were infants. The kids needs have changed and were adapting to the change. When we hired her, we did it in a pinch as we needed someone quickly (long story). I think the biggest issue here is the transportation problem. She gets off at 4:30pm when my wife gets home. She sat in our basement waiting for a ride home until 8pm. That's an awkward situation and one that we should have to deal with when paying someone $750 a week to perform a job. She had asked to borrow my car when I got home at 6:30pm but I told her no for the first time. I lent her my car the first time as a favor. Her being an adult should realize that borrowing your employers car and then returning it at 10pm is a inconvenience. She should have address this problem already.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes.

Reliable transportation is a must for a nanny.

You can't really speculate on a family's financial situation because you never really know the whole story. But in your new search, you can just make a vehicle a requirement.

We had friends who had a nanny that weighed at least that much. I don't know how she took care of the three kids, but they kept her all throughout their childhood. But she did have her own Suburban.

I do know that she was a stay at home mom for awhile before she got the job with us. That said, her job with us should allow her to finance a beater car for $200 a month. If she's got bad credit, not my problem.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why not consider having a parent stay home and raise your boys?? No one is going to do as good of a job as you will with your own children.
We tried that twice. Mommy had a real hard time with it. We have no relatives and friends in the area so it was just too much stress on my wife to stay home with the boys. Even as a very hands on dad, she wasn't getting any outside help and trying to deal with triplet infants and another young child is very tough. Most are pushed to the limit with 2 small kids. We made the decision for everyone's mental health to let mommy goto work and then we both deal with the kids on nights and weekends. Daddy (me) has to work because my wife doesn't make enough to support us by herself.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:28 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers5150 View Post
We have used our nanny on and off for the last few years. She has been with us full time since last July. We considered replacing her as our triplets are now two and she is a very large woman (350 lbs). This wasn't a problem when the kids were babies. However, we need someone who can get the boys outside and run around and tire them out. Our nanny gets winded walking one block to the bus stop to pick up our 4 year old boy. I have felt like a bad person for wanting a nanny that is in better physical shape but the job calls for it. Four boys ages 4,2,2,2!!!!!!!

What really has turned the tide was transportation problems for the nanny since her family has one car. Her husband got a new job and switched from 9-5 to 1-9. We spoke with her multiple times when the problems began in October and asked her if she was getting another car. She said they were looking but having a hard time finding something they could afford. She is paid $750 a week by us! That's not enough to afford an inexpensive car? We've tried to be accommodating by packing the kid up and driving her home(at least six times) and even letting her borrow my car(at least four times). Fast forward six months later and no resolution. The kids love her so we've put up with more than we should. After being assertive with her, we really don't want to give ultimatums and anger someone caring for our kids.

It's time to move on don't you think?
If having a car was part of the deal when you hired her, then you would be justified to let her go. i disagree completely that you can assume she has enough money for a car based on what you pay her. People have different priorities and there are many variables. Cars are expensive.

a four year old takes the bus?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
That wasn't the question and that isn't necessarily true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting