Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 01:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times

Advertisements

As a Mothers helper yes, as a baby sitter by herself no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
I'm about to use a 12-year old babysitter to watch my 4-year old and 8-year old. She lives across the street, so help is very close if needed, and it will be for 45 minutes, tops. It will be a recurring weekly gig for her, if it goes well. I just need to pick up my 11-year old at an art class that ends at 8:30, and that's too late for my younger two to be out. 4-year old will be sleeping and 8-year old will be in PJs. I'm not too worried about it. Probably wouldn't do it for long periods of time or late at night, though.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Depends on the 12 year old.

I was in the 8th grade when I was 12 and didn't turn 13 till second semester.

Some kids already understand responsibility at that age, too, bc of how they are raised and given household chores or farm chores, etc.

Some are blithering twinks.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:44 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
My son at 12, no way. He didn't need a babysitter of his own, but even now, at almost 15, he will forget to take the dog out when he's home with him. I would not leave him in charge of a small human who might choke on an errant lego or stick a fork in an electrical socket if unattended.

My 12-year-old daughter is a different story; DH and I have always joked that when we leave the two of them home together, we should stipulate that she is in charge. She's definitely more responsible and capable with animals and, presumably, small children.

But no. Even a responsible 12-year-old is still young enough that a toddler could really get hurt if the older child got distracted. For a kid aged 4 and up? Sure! No problem. But a little child who still needs very close supervision? I'd go with 16 and up, and even then, only if I knew and trusted the person. There's just too much at stake.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
It is quiet hard to say. I went through the same when my daughter was little. But now she is 10 so no worries about it. As a mother I always prefer a grown up woman as a baby sitter. Not because 12 year old cannot do in many cases grown ups act fast. My opinion about 12 yr old also a child self. They like to play they like to experience things. But as some members says give some time see how it goes. But me my self never take a 12 year old as a babysitter. As a mother I never took any risks for future regrets.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:45 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I would give my 2 yo old over to dingoes before I aired the topic on an internet forum.

If you are ~50 you know nearly every 12 yo girl was a babysitter. Who else was to do it? There were a few teens but they had other things to do. What does babysitting pay? Ya think you can get just anyone for pennies an hour?

Just for fun....Would you let an 18 yo boy babysit your 2 yo girl? Change her diaper and bathe her?
Yes, re: the bold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Happens more than you might think. People Are Now Being Shot By Toddlers On A Weekly Basis

Obviously, parents should keep dangerous items (guns, medications, etc) out of the reach of toddlers, but if you have them in the house at all (most people do have cleaning supplies and medicines/vitamins) and they're not locked up, you do need a babysitter who isn't going to get wrapped up in a cellphone or daydreaming while your little one gets into potentially deadly mischief.

I really only trusted family to care for my kids when they were toddlers. And by family, I mean grandmas and aunties/uncles. I wouldn't let my own 12 year old care for someone else's toddler, even though she's probably responsible enough to handle it; it's too big a responsibility for a child who still needs to be reminded to brush her teeth at times.
You are fortunate you had such family members nearby. My closest family was 500 miles away when my kids were little. A 12 year old is less likely to be caught up in texting, etc than some older kids. Who is to say your own family member wouldn't space out and daydream? I was reluctant at first to hire such young girls, but I never had a bad situation with a sitter of any age.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Depends on the 12 year old.

I was in the 8th grade when I was 12 and didn't turn 13 till second semester.

Some kids already understand responsibility at that age, too, bc of how they are raised and given household chores or farm chores, etc.

Some are blithering twinks.
Well said.

In just depends on the 12 year old in question, the amount of time the parent will be gone (even the best twelve year old's mind can wander), the presence of hazards such as swimming pools, and whether or not reliable assistance is close by.

I would be very willing to leave my 12 year old in charge of a two year old sibling for errands. Then again, my 12 year old daughter is very responsible, we dont have a pool, we live on a very quiet street and have alot of stay at home mothers in the neighborhood that she knows well.

Last edited by Cryptic; 12-04-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 02:56 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Not in a million years. I wouldn't hand a 12 year old the keys to my car, why on Earth would I trust her with my children?

Old 12-04-2015, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Not in a million years. I wouldn't hand a 12 year old the keys to my car, why on Earth would I trust her with my children?
I wouldn't hand the keys to my car to any teenager, except for my own kids. Are you saying you won't hire anyone under 16, ever? Good luck with that! 16 year olds are busy with school activities, sports, and sometimes their own regular jobs.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I originally posted this a long time ago about a friend.

Since then, I've had three sitters - a 20 yo teaching student (amazing, through an agency), and two 13 yo, one boy, one girl. My sons (5, 3) loved the 13 yo boy the most. He was our neighbour, and broke their hearts when he moved away. He was grear! I walked in early and the 3 yo was refusing bedtime. He was so mature about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting