Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 02:50 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,584,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The way it was worded, they calculated based off of what child support would be for their income.

That's irresponsible reporting. I almost fell for it. I went and found her facebook page. There are multiple dummy accounts people created to make fun of her. The one the newspaper article quotes is not her account. Notice how they say "facebook account believed to be." They know darn well it's not. Her real account is not available to the public. You can tell the difference because it has a picture of her that WASN'T posted in newspaper articles. All of the other facebook accounts are using pictures that were in the news.

If her laywer was smart, they would have her suspend her real Facebook account so that nothing can be used against her.

Very irresponsible reporting, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Interesting, it's still on the front page of the Daily news, no retraction. Although according to this, fake accounts are popping up all over:NJ teen Rachel Canning's parents claim lawyer provided alcohol | NJ.com

I checked a couple of the fake ones on FB, they did say they were parody accounts.

mc33433, you are right, the real account should have been suspended.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I would be in favor of doing away with all student loans, and replacing them with government grants for anyone who qualifies. Education is too important not to invest in it. A country without an educated workforce, will never be able to compete.

And where is the government going to get this money from?

What about the kids who don't qualify? You've said over and over that EVERYONE gets an education. Our country was built on that.

What about people like the Duggers who have twenty kids. Why should I pay for all of the Duggers kids?

What about the lazy kids who don't want an education. Am I supposed to pay for this kid to keep flunking out of college.

What if I don't have kids? Why should I pay for your kids?

The court needs to make her 'benefactors' responsible for her legal bills by encourage this damaging lawsuit in the first place.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:28 PM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
I don't know, I kind of feel sorry for her. She really was spoiled, but that word probably doesn't cut it. Her parents did not properly discipline her or the other kids, and mother admits it. Now, finally at age 18 they set rules? It's like taking a wild horse and expecting it to go on a nice trail ride.

Rachel is VERY messed up to be doing this. The things she did like drinking, sneaking with a boyfriend, keeping a messy room, are things many of us did, kind of normal teen stuff. But bulimia is a big deal, her reaction to rules imposed is extreme, and she probably has some kind of personality disorder or a mental illness. She has bigger problems than college right now. I think the family needs serious family counseling, and Rachel needs major help herself. I'd imagine Dr. Phil will want in on this.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:48 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't know, I kind of feel sorry for her. She really was spoiled, but that word probably doesn't cut it. Her parents did not properly discipline her or the other kids, and mother admits it. Now, finally at age 18 they set rules? It's like taking a wild horse and expecting it to go on a nice trail ride.
I kind of feel sorry for her too. She got carried away, overplayed her Precious Princess hand, and will likely end up estranged from her family during a critical time when young people still need their parents behind them. Hopefully, the "benefactors" will step up to fill the gap.

But spoiled or not, once she left the house at 18, she was on her own as far as I'm concerned. She could have stayed home and fought with the folks over her boyfriend and whether her room was clean enough, but she made a different decision. Life's all about choices and consequences. Now is as good a time as any for her to get a good grasp of that.

Our son snapped to and we went on. He's a great guy with a good career. You couldn't ask for a better son. I hope she is able to find her path as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,346,818 times
How long exactly before this is a Lifetime movie?

What a stupid brat.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,608,247 times
I don't think she or her "benefactors" had any idea it was going to go viral. But look at this article:
N.J. dad must pay $112,500 of estranged daughter
Basically a history professor has to pay $112,000 for half of his estranged daughter law school tuition at Cornell, kind of the same facts as in this case. The article even mentions the Canning case.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
That's different. NJ treats divorced parents differently than married parents. The Canning case may change that though.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:57 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I don't think she or her "benefactors" had any idea it was going to go viral. But look at this article:
Basically a history professor has to pay $112,000 for half of his estranged daughter law school tuition at Cornell, kind of the same facts as in this case. The article even mentions the Canning case.
He signed divorce papers, a legally binding document, in which he agreed to pay half the tuition to law school for his daughter.

As far as I've read, the Canning parents have not signed any documents promising to pay their daughter's tuition.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post

The facts are not the same. The article states:

"The terms of his financial contribution were laid out in a divorce settlement, signed in 2009, with his former wife."

The facts are completely different. The Canning case does not have a written agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting