Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,575,062 times

Advertisements

All, I am in dire need of some advise here. I am a full time working mom of a toddler. my husband has really long working hours and with the commute added, its hard for him to really contribute to help in cooking/cleaning etc.

I usually pick up my DD at 5:30 from her daycare and in 5 mins we are home. I sit with her while she has her dinner, we play, go to the park, bedtime routine and she goes to bed by 8 PM. I give my enire attention to her until she goes to bed.
At 8 is when I try to cook/clean and get everything ready for the next day.

Its usually 10:30 before I am able to go to bed and by 5 AM I have to be up. Its leaving me drained and worn out. Even after all this, my home seems like its in a big mess most of the time. Weekends are gone in laundry/grocery/cleaning bathrooms/carpets etc.

How do you all manage your day? I am obviously not doing something right.
How do you manage to keep your home clean and tidy with a toddler? How to cook smartly? I feel over whelmed and lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 12:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I'm a little puzzled about why you go to the park at 5:30 and don't start cooking until 8:00.

I cook ahead on weekends and heat up leftovers a lot during the week. It seems like you could cook and/or eat while she eats. unless the weather is bad, she has played outside at day care, so going to the park in the evening isn't necessary. She can play at home. what time does your husband get home?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm a little puzzled about why you go to the park at 5:30 and don't start cooking until 8:00.

I cook ahead on weekends and heat up leftovers a lot during the week. It seems like you could cook and/or eat while she eats. unless the weather is bad, she has played outside at day care, so going to the park in the evening isn't necessary. She can play at home. what time does your husband get home?
we hardly spend any time during the day together. So, while she eats, I eat the left overs or have coffee etc. I generally sit beside her on the table and talk to her/ sing to her etc. I tried cooking while she eats but its taking away that time from her. All day I am away from her...so I am trying to grab on to what ever is left of in the evening with her. She is already 2 now. Before long she will not want me anymore like now.

yes, some days we dont go to the park and we play in the basement. I was trying to say, we play together or read together.

He works in shifts (some days mornings and some days evenings)...and in an environment where he has to stay back if there is a problem. He helps with cooking when he can.

I bought a crock pot over the weekend in an attempt to cut down on cooking time. Have to see how that goes.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM

231 posts, read 382,274 times
I think it is good that you spend time with your daughter, but you can't hover over her all the time. She is going to have to learn you have other responsibilities besides just her.

Just think if it takes her 20-30 minutes to eat and you use that time to clean or cook or do other chores that you normally do on the weekend, that will give you almost 2 quality hours of time to spend with her on the weekend and leave you feeling less burnt out.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM

I get what you are trying to do, and I get why, but it is OK to let her play alone for a few minutes while you do the dishes and throw in a load of laundry. Can you afford someone to come clean the house every other week?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
I think it is good that you spend time with your daughter, but you can't hover over her all the time. She is going to have to learn you have other responsibilities besides just her.

Just think if it takes her 20-30 minutes to eat and you use that time to clean or cook or do other chores that you normally do on the weekend, that will give you almost 2 quality hours of time to spend with her on the weekend and leave you feeling less burnt out.
My DH keeps telling me the same thing. At what age do kids need to be taught that mommy has other things to do? I think I feel so guilty about leaving her at the daycare for such long hours that I do this to myself. God...if only I can find a job closer to home, I can cut down on commute time.

Do you all have spot less floors/ carpets at home? I try to mop once in 2 days but that doesnt seem to do the job on my tile-kitchen floors. Or should i just forget out spot-less home until she grows up a bit?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM

400 posts, read 793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
All, I am in dire need of some advise here. I am a full time working mom of a toddler. my husband has really long working hours and with the commute added, its hard for him to really contribute to help in cooking/cleaning etc.

I usually pick up my DD at 5:30 from her daycare and in 5 mins we are home. I sit with her while she has her dinner, we play, go to the park, bedtime routine and she goes to bed by 8 PM. I give my enire attention to her until she goes to bed.
At 8 is when I try to cook/clean and get everything ready for the next day.

Its usually 10:30 before I am able to go to bed and by 5 AM I have to be up. Its leaving me drained and worn out. Even after all this, my home seems like its in a big mess most of the time. Weekends are gone in laundry/grocery/cleaning bathrooms/carpets etc.

How do you all manage your day? I am obviously not doing something right.
How do you manage to keep your home clean and tidy with a toddler? How to cook smartly? I feel over whelmed and lost.
I think it's admirable that you spend so much time with your daughter.

What if you were to try to cook while she is eating? Is there a place for her to eat in her kitchen? I have a tiny kitchen, but I bring my son to the doorway in his high chair to eat while I cook. I'm still with him, but I'm getting work done too. I think you can easily cook and wash dishes from your cooking while your daughter is eating. You can talk with her, sing with her and everything. Some of my fondest memories from when I was little were from talking to my mom while she cooked or washed dishes.

Also, try to make a schedule of what you're going to do each day (ex: dusting on Monday, vacuuming on Tuesday, bathrooms on Wednesday, etc). Try to put in a load of laundry when you get home from work. What time does your husband get in from work? Could he sweep the kitchen while you fold the laundry? I know that he works long hours, but sweeping the kitchen could take less than five minutes, but it would be one thing that you don't have to do.

Edit:
Quote:
Do you all have spot less floors/ carpets at home? I try to mop once in 2 days but that doesnt seem to do the job on my tile-kitchen floors. Or should i just forget out spot-less home until she grows up a bit?

I work from home and stay with my son and my floors still aren't spotless. I've come to accept that sometimes, I may only get to vacuum once every two weeks or mop once a month.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I get what you are trying to do, and I get why, but it is OK to let her play alone for a few minutes while you do the dishes and throw in a load of laundry. Can you afford someone to come clean the house every other week?
I check kibbiekat to see how much cleaning people will charge. They are charging $40 an hour. And for the size of my home, it will take them at least 4 hours. Even if i ask them to come weekly once, its still a lot.

How do you all do this? Do you think its a good idea to start getting her to help me? Like, the other day when I was unloading the clean dishes off the diswasher, she was handing me the spoons and ladles to be put away. Its a game for her and not a chore....maybe I can involve her in helping me? make it play??
Or is she too young for that?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
My DH keeps telling me the same thing. At what age do kids need to be taught that mommy has other things to do? I think I feel so guilty about leaving her at the daycare for such long hours that I do this to myself. God...if only I can find a job closer to home, I can cut down on commute time.

From the beginning! You have things to do! Do them!

Heck no my house is not spotless!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I check kibbiekat to see how much cleaning people will charge. They are charging $40 an hour. And for the size of my home, it will take them at least 4 hours. Even if i ask them to come weekly once, its still a lot.

How do you all do this? Do you think its a good idea to start getting her to help me? Like, the other day when I was unloading the clean dishes off the diswasher, she was handing me the spoons and ladles to be put away. Its a game for her and not a chore....maybe I can involve her in helping me? make it play??
Or is she too young for that?
Absolutely do that just don't give her any knives. She can be with you and watching and learning without having your full attention. Why do you think preschoolers have those play kitchens? To they can imitate mom and dad. They have to see you doing chores in order to imitate them. You can fold laundry while she plays next to you. You can do kitchen chores while she eats. It will not hurt her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting