Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,273,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
You guys can take it to DM's, unless you like arguing in a public forum for attention. .
Yes, because sending someone a rude, argumentative DM is SO much better and adult-like....... (Oddly enough. I got one just yesterday from a poster who seemed a bit peeved with the stellar advice I had given him.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-17-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,239,527 times
That went full circle I guess. As with any of the debated topics on this forum I fail to see the point. We all raise our kids differently according to our own sets of priorities because we are seeking different outcomes. Simple enough and really no reason to argue about it.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-17-2014 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,454,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Privileged much? I think I'll go look through my couch cushions and start saving that money.

I think people are complaining that college costs have become much more expensive compared to the minimum wage jobs kids use to pay for them. When I was in school, you could feasibly work the summer and pay for that education-try that now...

2014: 8,000/year for public school-then you have got to drive there, cars are not cheap. Just the tuition would be around 1100 hrs for a min wage job.

It was 3,000 dollars last generation, so at the then 4.25 min wage that would be 705 hrs, not to mention gas was a whopping THREE times cheaper then.
considering how much more inefficient cars were then, sounds like the gas costs would probably even out.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:43 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times
Daycare can be had for $7 a day here in Quebec.
Better daycare for $7/day: One province's solution for Canada - The Globe and Mail

One of the many benefits of government social programs.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,454,608 times
I'll eventually read the 18 pages of comments, but my initial thought on the OP article:

I live in a "high cost" area. I found what I consider to be an 'ideal' daycare scenario - we have been using in-home daycares run by sisters. our first child we paid $250/week. he started at 6 months. our daughter was born 10 months after he started, so that's roughly $10,000 deep so far. my daughter started at 4 months. so we're at $14,000 deep, and now my expense changes to $485/month. That scenario continued for 8 months, so add $15,520 to the $14,000 to bring me to a grand total of $29,520. then we took 1 month off, and started elsewhere for $350/week, which lasted 5 months - $7,000 more for a grand total of $36,520. took 1 month off, then back. and they've been back for 2.5 months. in july, our oldest will go to preschool and our 2nd and 3rd will continue in the in-home daycare for $350/week. So my oldest is 3 yrs, 2 months, and we have a 22 month old and a 3.5 month old, and so far we're about $40,000 in since having our first kid. by the time we're done and kids are in 2nd, 1st, and K, i figure you can double that to $80,000 over what will be the span of 2011 - 2018/19 (too lazy to figure out which year my youngest starts kindergarten). so, 8 years, $80,000 = $10,000/yr. So that requires (rough estimate) an income of about $15,000.

I'll take it any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,663,237 times
I haven't read everything but would like to ask a question.

What do parents do when your daycare children are sick? Do they let you bring them in sick?
Just wondering, I have been babysitting my grandchildren for 7 years now, right now I am sitting here with a sore throat, can't hardly swallow.
My grandaughter brought it home from school.
So far this year, we have all had the stomach flu twice, around Christmas we had some sort of a virus that lasted 3 weeks for me because I am "old". I am scared to death the chicken pox will enter and I will end up in intensive care with the "shingles" lol but really what I'm wondering, who comes to the rescue when the kids are sick and not allowed at daycare?
It's like going to the front lines!
I don't know many people other than a grandmother or a person who is steadily employed at the home that would come in just to care for sick children, risking catching it themselves bringing it into their homes or maybe their own children.

Last edited by mag32gie; 04-17-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 05:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,251,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post

What do parents do when your daycare children are sick? Do they let you bring them in sick?
Just wondering, I have been babysitting my grandchildren for 7 years now, right now I am sitting here with a sore throat, can't hardly swallow.
So far this year, we have all had the stomach flu twice, around Christmas we had some sort of a virus that lasted 3 weeks for me because I am "old". I am scared to death the chicken pox will enter and I will end up in intensive care with the "shingles" lol but really what I'm wondering, who comes to the rescue when the kids are sick and not allowed at daycare?
It's like going to the frontlines!
They are supposed to be kept home. I have taken more sick days this year with my elem age kids than I have since their day care days. My husband and I trade off. When we lived close, my parents sometimes helped, but then they sometimes got sick and I felt bad. All I can say is wash your hands thoroughly and often.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:01 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,978,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post

It's like going to the front lines!
I don't know many people other than a grandmother or a person who is steadily employed at the home that would come in just to care for sick children, risking catching it themselves bringing it into their homes or maybe their own children.

I stay home with the kids when they are sick. My daughter is in Pre K and my son Kindergarten. My kids don't get sick often. I kept my son home with strep one day and my daughter with the same thing two weeks later for two days as she tested negative on the quick test.

I found a positive of daycare/preschool is generally kids get all the illnesses out before starting school.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,407,283 times
Arrow Wow! So...Daycare costs more than some colleges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Jaded, let's step aside from the class arguments for a moment.

My wife and I don't pay the amount that we do for daycare because we want to or because we feel it is classier. We pay the amount that we do because that is what the providers charge. I'd love to pay half the amount.

...With that said, I can say unequivacally that my child is learning more, thriving better, and a happier child at daycare than she would have been staying at home with her mother. Her mom is a far better worker bee than early childhood educator.
No need to step aside from the class argument because if you'd clicked on the link I provided you would have understood where I was coming from.

What you pay for now will not "unequivocally" guarantee that your child will be successful later in life. What you do at home, however, may. The cost of daycare reflects the demand in most major cities for the service. Nothing more, nothing less. More women want to work. That's fine. It's their choice and there isn't anything wrong with that choice. But the price of this is reflected in what most centers charge because they can...there are two incomes in the home and it's common sense that one of those incomes will pay substantially for the "choice" of a parent not staying at home. Education has nothing to do with the high cost of daycare.

But don't take my word for it: Fact Sheet: Child Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetiaryIngrid View Post
I still have not heard what you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for a three year old to "learn" in daycare. Are there scheduled class periods, home room? Science and Algebra labs? I'm still not convinced that spending $25k+ on daycare a year is worth it, and that is due to the fact that an amount like that could pay for a prestigious private high school, or maybe a kid's first year in university. But...to be honest, you really are paying this amount of money for your daughter to go be babysitted? It's not going to matter much in the long run, because a portion of time in kindergarten is spent reteaching Pre-K concepts as well (I can't speak for all schools, but it my district the cord curricula is mandated both for private and public schooling but private is sans state standardized testing).
Exactly. It's the price for someone to watch your child and do so in a manner that doesn't harm the child; the high cost is necessary to convince the parent they are receiving Gold when really it's only Gold-plated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's for full time care. Excellent quality care indeed - our daycare centres are considered one of the reasons we have one of the best education systems in the world, so yeah pretty high quality. The system is subsidised and everyone pays what they afford and the teachers and child nurses are paid good wages and are properly qualified.
So glad you posted this. In America this type of care costs you one year's college tuition because no one wants to pay for "someone else's child" to receive the same care as their own. That's okay for college, but for primary school, it's bad. Our public schools pretty much are driven by the school district's income level of its residents.

I love the concept you've described. Makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You cannot speak to the affluent who utilize daycare as well where the concern for pedigree manifests in outcome down the line and it certainly does. The stats don't lie. Professional working women use daycare and their children follow in their footsteps academically and professionally. Not because of daycare, to be clear, but due to the effects of high SES.
It's not the daycare.

Quote:
I would agree that the children of the working parents at my kids daycare will thrive in K-12 school (public or private) and college for the vast majority of them. And I think it's safe to say they are likely to thrive in the working world as well....
You cannot make this claim. It's way too soon to make such a prediction with children under age 5!

Quote:
In my daughters case, I can say the skills she is learning today will help her do well academically. Note that she isn't learning academics today. She is not learning math or science or precalculus or anything like that. She is learning self regulation - how to handle herself when she is frustrated. The staff intentionally put the kids in situations that cause frustration so they can help the children learn skills to calm themselves down when they are frustrated. They are learning playing together. They are learning how to sort and count, how to dig in the sand. They are learning what happens when a seed is planted and how to compare two different plants and see what each of the seeds grow into.
Okay, so, what you've described is not advanced learning and not a reason for the high cost of day care.

Re the bold: This is harmful to your child. Why would you allow her to stay in an environment that is manipulated like this? There is no learning here. This is not a skill a 2-3 year old needs to "learn" in day care. Sorry, but intentionally placing small children in frustrating situations is only provoking aggravation and anxiety. Sad.

Last edited by Jaded; 04-18-2014 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Fixed link

Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,272,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd hope this is a tongue-in cheek comment?
No its not. Here in Finland we pay our taxes to help all children have high quality daycare (and by high quality I don't mean full-on education but developmentally appropriate learning through play and professional care (including special needs - we have small integrated groups so special needs children aren't separated from everyone else) if their parents want them to go, no matter how rich or poor they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting