Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 AM

14,958 posts, read 12,170,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetiaryIngrid View Post
I'm still trying to fully understand why a toddler or preschooler would need a "full on education". Do 3-4 year olds have the attention span for such an endeavor. My daughter went to a pretty flexible play-based preschool and now she is in late high school and while she isn't a validictorian, she does have all A-grades.
"Complete and total package" sounds like more of a status phrase more than anything. If I saw a daycare with a tuition of $25,000-$60,000 annually I would think to myself that it may be a nice program, it's not worth that expense. Plus, I don't think any colleges are looking at which daycare your child went to.
LOL, I can't say as I've ever seen that asked on a college application!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd hope this is a tongue-in cheek comment?
She lives in Finland, so it is true.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Based on doing my taxes this year via turbotax the cut off is like $3500K, so it's easy to max out on that pretty quickly. It doesn't play into lowering tax rate to a meaningful degree. Unless I'm doing something wrong where I would love to be corrected.
No, I'm sure you're right. I haven't paid for childcare for many years ( kids are grown), and I didn't realize there was a maximum claim for it on income taxes- or maybe there was when we used daycare ( back in the 80's-90's) and we never went over that limit, and I had forgotten about it. Daycare used to be a lot less expensive back in those days- one place I used was $50/week, and that was close to the going rates then. I worked part time, including weekends, when the kids were little, and DH jumped through a number of hoops to take time off when the kids were out of school, or sick- he was lucky to have an employer that allowed this, and he'd been there about a million years so he was a fixture around the place. My mother helped out some too. So we had the child care pretty well taken care of.... so maybe I never realized the true costs.

That's true, with the daycare costs reportedly as high as they are these days ( and I believe it, they've been going up for years, starting back a few years after we used it), I can imagine one's tax advantages max out pretty soon.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
There is a big difference between the at-home daycare versus the one I am doing.

Home based daycare you need backup care in case the daycare provider is sick.

Home based daycare is usually a single room in a house, while my daycare has multiple classrooms.

Home based daycare does not have outside providers come to class to teach dance, music, sports, sign language, etc.

Home based daycare varies widely in quality, as some home based daycares have little curriculm and watch lots of movies each day while others may rival the quality of center-based programs.

Home based daycare may not have a lot of investment in new toys and other activities. The amount of investment is dependent on the providers financial situation.

Home based daycare typically never have state licensed K-12 teachers.

I'm sure there ar emore differences but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Home day cares, depending on the states in which they are located, are regulated if they care for more than X number of kids who aren't relatives ( those details depend on the states). But those regulations cover things like safety, health issues, staffing ratios, they don't address learning type issues. So as you say, I never thought of home daycare as more than places to take care of one's children when he/she's working. So daycares ( home or other) may offer formal learning programs, but these vary ( as you've mentioned).

Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,908,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Yes, but my tax rate for 2013 was 14%, and I'm a high earner. I've heard our taxes in the US are much lower than Europe.
What? My tax rate:
Federal: ~30%
State: 3%
Local: 1.2%

So I'm basically at 35%.

We pay $750/ month (M-F, until 12:30) and also pay a nanny $1,200/ month, so almost $2K/ month or $24K/ year, which is cheaper than college. To be fair, if our kid wee full time, I think it would be about $1,100/ month or $13,000/ year, which is cheaper than most colleges.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:14 AM

501 posts, read 934,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
What? My tax rate:
Federal: ~30%
State: 3%
Local: 1.2%

So I'm basically at 35%.

We pay $750/ month (M-F, until 12:30) and also pay a nanny $1,200/ month, so almost $2K/ month or $24K/ year, which is cheaper than college. To be fair, if our kid wee full time, I think it would be about $1,100/ month or $13,000/ year, which is cheaper than most colleges.
You don't pay 30% of your income on taxes. Your final dollar earned might be at 30% but your first dollar earned is essentially tax free. It averages out to way less than 30%.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:48 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well since ALL children don't bite it isn't necessary to cut out that particular behavior in ALL children. And some parents address it and some don't. You just cannot claim to speak for all daycare situations based only on your own (negative) experience, while qualifying the behavior of some SAHPs based on only positive experiences.
This is what's disturbing me. A lot of people are acting like stay at home with your parents should be negative. How many parents do you think are neglecting and abusing their children? (The general you.)

Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
This is what's disturbing me. A lot of people are acting like stay at home with your parents should be negative. How many parents do you think are neglecting and abusing their children? (The general you.)
No....I haven't seen anyone acting like that. Please show where people have indicated this.

In fact, I think you'd be surprised to hear that several of the posters you are arguing with have been SAHPs. And enjoyed it. And did a good job of it. And also have a history of defending SAHP equally.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM

973 posts, read 1,454,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
In my Pre-K ESL class, we actually learned strategies on dealing with parents and their unreasonable expectations of what early childhood education actually meant.
Exactly. I learned this, too.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,205,749 times
Quote:
I have not seen anyone acting like this. People are simply sharing their experiences that happen to differ from yours, which shouldn't be surprising.
Quote:
Exactly. I learned this, too.
Are you employing those strategies now, in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting