Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

If there is no marriage and the child lives with the mother, then the child should have the mother's last name.

If they are married, the child should have either the father's last name or a hyphenated last name (many people do that now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
If there is no marriage and the child lives with the mother, then the child should have the mother's last name.

If they are married, the child should have either the father's last name or a hyphenated last name (many people do that now)
Can't do that here. I mean people have hyphenate their last names but you can't give a child the hyphenated last name.
I'm not changing my name when I get married, my kids will all have my last name (apart from my first child who unfortunately has her father's name which, amongst other things, causes me trouble when travelling with her)

Old 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Primary caregiver. If it's the mother who's most involved in the kid's life, enrolling her in school, attending functions, going to conferences, etc, it causes less confusion for them to have the same last name.
This. I think it also causes less legal complications. My daughter's father has never been a part of her life (his choice), and it would be incredibly odd for her to have his last name when I'm the one that does everything with her and for her. Recently, I had to apply for a passport for her, and since the custody papers have been put somewhere I couldn't find them (it's been 15 years), it's a blessing that he wasn't on her birth certificate and that she has my last name. Otherwise, I'd have to go back to my lawyer and pay for copies of paperwork and the whole process could take weeks longer than it needs to.

I have friends who were given their father's last name, while their mother kept her maiden name, and they talk about how (especially at school) their mother got questions about who she was and that the "legal" parent needed to sign paperwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
There's a gotcha in this scenario. The unmarried father's last name will likely never change. The mother's might. If the mother gives the child her maiden name, and then subsequently marries a different man, you've got a child whose last name doesn't match either parent.
It's not really a gotcha scenario. First, it's entirely the mother's choice if she wants to change her last name to her new husband's last name, and if she does choose to change it, the children's names could be changed at the same time. Second, there may never be a new husband. It's a little ridiculous to name your child based on the possibility that one day you may decide to change your last name. It's just as ridiculous to name your child after someone who won't even be a big part of their lives, with the idea of, "Well, their birth father's name will always be the same." If the children end up having no relationship, or a very limited relationship with their father, then they're basically carrying on a phantom father's last name, and that would ultimately be the same thing as having a name that's different from everyone who is a regular part of your life.

Names are changeable. I do know people who were given their father's last name, who changed their name when they turned 18 to their mother's last name, because their father had never been a part of their life and they were annoyed at having it. The reverse would also be true - if someone was given their mother's last name, and they preferred to carry on their father's, they could change it. To me, this is the perfect reason to give the child the last name of who will be the primary caregiver. It causes less confusion and less legal hassle while the child is young, and the child, if they don't like it, can change their name when they get older.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:59 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I don't get the hang up with different last names causing any confusion in school, it never has for us. Many kids in schools are from divorced families, and people manage fine. It's as much of a non-issue as family members having different first names. Do I get called Mrs. Husband's Last Name? Yes, it doesn't bother me one bit. This is very much a "do what works best for your family" issue.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:08 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

This. ^^^

It's less confusing all around. Especially when multiple fathers with different last names are involved and less stigma.

I'll add that if the children live exclusively with the father, then the father's last name should be used.

My personal preference is the traditional way - get married first, and give your child their father's name. Most people still give the father's last name only. That is my preference too, in the standard situation of married parents.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
Quote:
There's a gotcha in this scenario. The unmarried father's last name will likely never change. The mother's might. If the mother gives the child her maiden name, and then subsequently marries a different man, you've got a child whose last name doesn't match either parent.

Seriously? When I, a female, married my husband, I did not change my last name. My children have my last name as their middle name and my husband last name as their last name. No biggie.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM

286 posts, read 450,167 times
Quote:
Touché!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
I'm surprised at some of the responses here. As a kid who had a different last name than both my parents, I had serious issues time after time when they came to pick me up from school. And that was 30+ years ago when security is nowhere near as tight as it is now. I wouldn't want my kids to go through that. And I dont really understand why wives dont change their last names when they get married, it seems it would avoid a whole lot of confusion personally and with future kids regarding last name. Seems to go against the idea of a unity and family. Unless you're Cher, why not change your last name... that's a different debate I suppose.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
I wouldn't change my last name if I got married, unless I was marrying somebody willing to legally adopt my child and give her his name...but if I were marrying someone who wasn't willing to do that the wedding wouldn't be happening anyway.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I won't change my name because my name is brilliant, much better than my OH's name (which isn't even his original name, he changed it when he turned 17)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting