Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,474 times

Advertisements

I and my husband are 26 year old, and we have a wonderful son who is almost a year and a half old. He's spirited, loving, funny and playful. He's extremely expressive and very social, especially when it comes to women. However, he is stuck in 'baby babble'. The only thing he says is "Gah", and recently has acquired the words "Du" "Wah" and "Yah". Now none of those mean anything really, he will use them interchangably, as if he is telling you something, and he uses hand motions a lot while talking to us also. We've talked to the Pediatrician about this, and she says not to worry, that boys are slow talkers and he is such a social baby that she says no to autism.

I've really been trying to get him to talk. We think we've heard him say "Mama" and "Dada", but he doesn't do it when referring to either my husband or I. We have books with lots of pictures, and he will open them up, point to the picture and we will tell him what it is. We will also ask "Where is the car" or "Where is uncle's truck" and he points right to them. We will ask him to pick something up or get something from the other side of the house, and he comes right back with it, so we know it's not an association problem.

How can we get him to talk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Wait until he's ready to talk. The doctors told my mother I was retarded because I wasn't talking at 2. I have a masters degree in chemical engineering. It doesn't mean anything that he's not talking yet.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Do you have any friends with slightly older toddlers who could have play dates, or look for a mother's day out or other way he could socialize with other babies? My first child was slow to talk and I think she just didn't realize that kids talked too, she thought it was something grownups did. My friend's son was the same way. Once I started babysitting and had a house full of kids, my daughter was talking within a month. My friend's son was always around his grandma and his parents and not around other kids, but once he went to pre-k, he started talking.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
My son did not talk until he was 2 and a half.
He hasn't shut up since.... even talks in his sleep!

You should listen to your pediatrician.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:26 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
I noticed in both of my kids a huge language explosion around 18 months, and that seemed to be true for many of my friends' kids as well. How is his hearing? Sometimes kids who have had issues with ear infections are later to talk. Ultimately, the pediatrician is a wonderful resource but nothing trumps a parent's intuition. If this is something that is bothering you and your gut says something is wrong, call a speech therapist and have him evaluated. It won't hurt a thing, and may at the very least give you piece of mind. My son was talking in sentences before 18 months, my daughter barely spoke a recognizable word until she was 2-2.5; same house but such different kids. Good luck, I love that age!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Probably not autism, but a speech delay is also something you can evaluate for. Call your early intervention services. By 18 months, babies should be trying to talk (In general 18 month old babies have at least 2 words - usually mama or dada and one other).

At a year and a half, most children speak a dozen words (or more) clearly. Besides "Mama" and "Dada," favorite words include "bye-bye," "milk," "cookie," "car," "oh!," and "my." Many 18-month-old toddlers can also link two words together to form rudimentary sentences — sentences without linking verbs or other connecting words. She may say "All gone," "Want ball," or "Me up."

Click on your state to find programs in your area
ECTACenter.org : The Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center : Improving Systems, Practices and Outcomes for Young Children with Disabilities and their Families

Old 05-25-2014, 01:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
eh, not all children talk by a certain age. The key is to not talk "baby talk" to your child. Use real words not babble and once you know he knows the word for something don't allow him to grunt and point, make him use the word.
Once he gets it he will get it all the way and he will be fine.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:49 PM

698 posts, read 960,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, not all children talk by a certain age. The key is to not talk "baby talk" to your child. Use real words not babble and once you know he knows the word for something don't allow him to grunt and point, make him use the word.
Once he gets it he will get it all the way and he will be fine.
I agree
and if you're still using a pacifier, get rid of it, that could be inhibiting his speech.

Also hanging out with kids who are speaking might encourage him to use words.

How about flashcards? Show the card, say the word. These were popular when my kids were little
Is it called Baby Einstein or something like that? Maybe that would help

Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
surely you've heard that Albert Einstein didn't talk till he was 3?
I took my 15 month old son to be tested cause he wasn't walking yet or talking. He understood every word but didn't even vocalize.
I was told to leave him alone..give him every opportunity to explore on his own and not to hoover and not to project fear. and most of all not to act anxious around him because i perceived he was "late"
He is now published physics phd, teaches at university and we can't get a word in edgewise. he is also into extreme fitness and is extremely hunky--even if I do say so myself.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowerclover View Post
I and my husband are 26 year old, and we have a wonderful son who is almost a year and a half old. He's spirited, loving, funny and playful. He's extremely expressive and very social, especially when it comes to women. However, he is stuck in 'baby babble'. The only thing he says is "Gah", and recently has acquired the words "Du" "Wah" and "Yah". Now none of those mean anything really, he will use them interchangably, as if he is telling you something, and he uses hand motions a lot while talking to us also. We've talked to the Pediatrician about this, and she says not to worry, that boys are slow talkers and he is such a social baby that she says no to autism.

I've really been trying to get him to talk. We think we've heard him say "Mama" and "Dada", but he doesn't do it when referring to either my husband or I. We have books with lots of pictures, and he will open them up, point to the picture and we will tell him what it is. We will also ask "Where is the car" or "Where is uncle's truck" and he points right to them. We will ask him to pick something up or get something from the other side of the house, and he comes right back with it, so we know it's not an association problem.

How can we get him to talk?
Ask the pediatrician if he can be referred for speech therapy. Everyone has something he's not good at, and clearly this is one of his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting