Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 06:27 AM

18,481 posts, read 31,678,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Don't force a relationship. I tell my boys, you don't have to like everyone, but you need to treat them with respect. Same with family, you don't have to like them. I certainly don't like everyone in my family. Other than the holiday gatherings, I have no need/want to see some of them.

oh Lord, ain't that the truth!! and even that's pushing it sometimes. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Kids aren't stupid; they know when something is off. I'd tell your husband the truth, that his newly-mended relationship with his "parents" is going to have to take a back seat to the needs of his son.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 15,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
My son(4 years old) is always playful and talkative when he is with my family (extended and all) but when he is with his fathers family he is quiet and hides under us. I have never been the biggest fans of them because they can be somewhat ill-mannered; however his father wants him to be close to them. He has even told us he doesn't want to go to his grandparents house or stay with them. He has never spent the night even though his grandparents always ask. Out of all seven of my husbands siblings he only speaks to one aunt and one uncle. I also spoke to my brother in-laws wife and their sone refuses to go see the grandparents as well. What should I do? I do not want to hurt my husbands feelings.

Be honest with your husband about how your child feels my Father felt that we shouldn't be forced to spend time with relatives if we weren't comfortable. Because the relationship with them is relatively new it will take time. Try inviting them over more frequently if possible if not how about a family gathering once a month that would allow the grandparents, aunts, uncles cousins to attend this would allow for your son to view them in a different light and will make the bonding a little easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting