Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

My kids are in their early 20s and they played outside almost constantly. They didn't start spending more time playing video games until they were teenagers and not playing outside in the neighborhood, but they still had sports, jobs, dates, etc., to keep them busy.

When I'd complain to my father that I was bored, he pulled a book off of the shelves and handed it to me. Guess what I did? I'd read it. That's how I read most of the great classics. My kids were no different. They'd read when I handed them a book too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 02:02 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
I played outside a lot until I hit about 7th grade and even then my friends and I would walk around outside and go to kohls or get food. We didn't play but we didn't sit around either.

High school was a different story. You couldn't get me out of the house unless it revolved around my school sports and going to do something with my friends like shopping or the movies. Other than that we all sat at my house(my mom was the only parent who didn't bother us the whole time) bored out of our minds flipping through the stations and updating our myspace backgrounds. Occasionally we'd venture outside to go stare at the hot popular guys who lived in my neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:37 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Before the advent of TV, internet, and console gaming, how on earth did our ancestors keep their kids from nagging them every constanst second.

When I look at myself, if I had no TV when I was kid, I dont know what I would have done for a large portion of the day. Maybe I would have been outside more playing.

What did kids in the 60s, 50s, civil war era, and before do to keep their ADHD occupied?
I grew up in the 50's and 60's. There were 5 of us kids and we lived in a subdivision. If we were not in school we were outside playing. We'd play in the yard, or walk around in the fields around us etc. We did not spend that much time in the house except after dinner and before bed. We only watched tv in the evenings, except for the weekend when we would see cartoons on Saturday mornings.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Before the advent of TV, internet, and console gaming, how on earth did our ancestors keep their kids from nagging them every constanst second.

When I look at myself, if I had no TV when I was kid, I dont know what I would have done for a large portion of the day. Maybe I would have been outside more playing.

What did kids in the 60s, 50s, civil war era, and before do to keep their ADHD occupied?
Children used to play. Remember that concept?

Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
I didnt have a TV in the house till I was about eleven or twelve... and thank god for it.. as Id never have gone out to play.. I had a good time out every day even in the rain.. playing on rollerskates, my old bike.. peever or hopscotch as some call it.. doublers with two balls against a wall.. picnics in the local parks.. fishing for tadpoles in summer.. kick the can with friends.. a sort of hide and seek game played in Glasgow.... Kids used their imaginations a lot more..and were thinner and healthier..

Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I grew up in the 70s, we did have a TV but only 3 channels and no morning shows! ( that was not in the US).
We also did not have a backyard the first few years, so we would read (or be read to) and play in our rooms. Nothing special, and we were not traumatized, neither were my parents!

Old 06-02-2014, 04:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
We were told to go outside and/or go to a friends.

We were both quiet little girls though. My mom says my all-boys brood is harder.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

We played with friends... inside and/or outside.
No ADHD involved.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:39 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,008,793 times
There is way too much fear these days. I have 4 and 5 year old boys that I let play outside by themselves almost every day. When I'm inside, they need to stay in the fenced in back yard. If I'm outside, they have free roam of the yard. I've had other parents ask me incredulously "you let them outside ALONE?!?!" Yes, I do.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
We had tv, computers etc when I was growing up but we still played outside lots in the garden or rollerskating in the local streets or in an empty carpark. If we complained of being bored my parents would find us a job to do! Or tell us how lucky we are to be bored as opposed to be stuck working hard.

If my toddler is nagging me too much I send her outside to play, there's nearly always other kids out to play with, or she plays in the garden (and sometimes the other kids come join her).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting