Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times

Advertisements

This was a huge issue for me when I moved to Florida from up north...my son was 10 and allowed to go on play dates after school at other boys homes...one child's father was a huge gun enthusiast...the boy had his own collection and the key to his gun case...well my son came home thrilled with how he and his friend were playing with the guns...well I flipped my $h!t and he was never allowed over that boys house again...but his friend was welcome to my home anytime...well word got back to "gun daddy" and he went up to school to complain about me to the principal...well the principal said it was an out of school matter and told the dad to call me...well he called me irate carrying on like a madman...I let him carry on without saying a word...finally he paused and I calmly asked if he was done...then I explained to him that my decision to not let my son play at his home had just been reaffirmed by his rant...guns and irrational hot tempered people don't mix...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
My close buddy who has several guns told me that he always says NO to having guns when other parents ask. His justification is that he does not want others judging him!

It is no one's business but your own. I don't understand the entire concept of asking if there are guns in a house. When I was a kid everyone had guns in their houses. Heck, I had my own BB guns, .22 and 12 ga shotgun I used to walk down the street with and into the woods to plink. We never shot each other and never had the urge to do so as none shot each other. I was instructed by my father about firearms as he was military and had a nice collection. We use to go plinking with him and shoot rats at a nearby dump.

What good is a firearm when locked away unloaded with the ammo in another locked location? Someone breaks into the house and you are running from room to room trying to arm yourself. Might as well call 911 at that point and wait for them.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
It is no one's business but your own. I don't understand the entire concept of asking if there are guns in a house. When I was a kid everyone had guns in their houses. Heck, I had my own BB guns, .22 and 12 ga shotgun I used to walk down the street with and into the woods to plink. We never shot each other and never had the urge to do so as none shot each other. I was instructed by my father about firearms as he was military and had a nice collection. We use to go plinking with him and shoot rats at a nearby dump.

What good is a firearm when locked away unloaded with the ammo in another locked location? Someone breaks into the house and you are running from room to room trying to arm yourself. Might as well call 911 at that point and wait for them.

good post

I come from a hunting family, guns were not a mystery , I was taught how to handle and respect one

I grew up in a house,,with a loaded gun, and never once thought about playing with it

I had a bb gun growing up too,,,loved it,,,we had much fun target practicing with this

I gave my son a 20 gauge shotgun for Christmas,,, when he was 12- we shot it off the deck xmas morning

he asked for a shotgun to go hunting with me..

I taught him how to handle and respect a gun, and never once did he think to play with them with his friends

maine has the highest gun rate per capita, and lowest crime rate,,,its not a coincidence

when I was a kid,,no one asked about guns in the house,,
we spent nights at our friends houses,,,where both parents smoked,, cooked French fries in Crisco,

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 06-22-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 02:06 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

One of the best ways to impress upon a young mind just exactly how powerful a weapon can be is to fill a gallon milk jug with water (add red food coloring if desired) and then shoot it with a hollowpoint bullet. The results are guaranteed to be impressive. Then ask them to call the bullet back, and put the water back in the jug.
Calling the bullet back is what most would like to do when shooting wildly and sending bullets farther downrange than intended and hitting something unintentionally. LEOs are often guilty of doing so, especially when in a gun play scenario. LEOs aren't the sharpest shooters in the world so my stock in their ability to recall errant bullets when they go downrange. That is something you are to keep in the back of your mind when shooting and is the reason most outdoor ranges have huge earthen berms as backdrops behind the targets.

Ready, Fire, Aim: The Science Behind Police Shooting Bystanders | TIME.com

Old 06-22-2014, 02:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

You need to understand that there are parts of this country where everybody doesn't own guns. I grew up in Northern NJ, and never saw one up close until I dated a cop in my early 20's.

When my kids were little, we lived in the same town I grew up in. Guns were still rare. When I took my boys to the police and fire academy open house each fall, their eyes would get huge when they caught sight of all the weapons. If they had a chance to handle one, I can't swear they wouldn't want to.

Even after we moved to rural western NJ, most of the guns were hunting rifles, not handguns.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:17 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
My close buddy who has several guns told me that he always says NO to having guns when other parents ask. His justification is that he does not want others judging him!

I say no too...I don't care if other parents judge me, but I don't want them to break in when I'm not home and steal my guns. You never really know what kind of person someone is, you don't have to be good or trustworthy to produce a child, and I've known some really good kids with terrible parents.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would interpret that as a yes, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid to your house, since you weren't even able to talk openly about it. If it has to be a secret, I have to wonder why.
But, to be fair, one could also ask why you feel the need to KNOW if there are guns in the house, and what your agenda is? Maybe your brother is a thug who gives you a cut of his take every time he empties out a house. Guns fetch decent money. Or maybe you want to know where to get a gun so you can commit a crime with it, then pin it on someone else.

That's no more or less preposterous than the assertion you just made above.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Those safes are a joke, come with a key bc of failure, and can be pried open easily.
Our combination safes are no joke. They sure didn't come with a key. They are real vaults.

We'd have to call a professional safecracker if we ever forgot the combination or one malfunctioned.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
When I took my boys to the police and fire academy open house each fall, their eyes would get huge when they caught sight of all the weapons. If they had a chance to handle one, I can't swear they wouldn't want to.
Dern right they would want to. That is NORMAL. The best way to satisfy that curiosity and desire is to show them how to handle a firearm (I don't let "anti's" bully me into calling them "weapons") and take them to a range where they can learn to fire them. That's if you live in the city...if you live in northern Maine like I do, you can just shoot in your back yard.

As long as a parent has an anti-gun stance - and kids can smell FEAR a mile away - there is always going to be that attraction on their part. As a parent myself, and now a grandparent, I understand the allure that a firearm has to a child. Part of the mystique for them is the attitude of the parents. Even if you choose not to have firearms in your own home, allowing an interested child to be trained in safe firearm handling and to try hitting a target themselves, will rub off some of the mystery and attraction. IN NO WAY does that promote violent children! Violence has more to do with the videogames they play with, than handling a firearm. I am more concerned with the videogames my grandkids play at their friends' homes, than whether a firearm is present there, or not.

One of the BEST choices any parent can make, if they notice an interest in guns with their child, is to enroll the child in a state-sponsored hunter's safety course. All states have them, and most states allow kids aged 11 or 12, sometimes younger. Trying to "protect" your kids from exposure to firearms is impossible; you'll just make them go secretive about it. Keep the conversation out in the open, which is healthy. You can't go everywhere with your child; that is NOT healthy. Help them make good choices. Ignoring the gun issue will not make it go away. Keeping your kids from playing at their friends' houses if there are guns there, will not make the issue go away. Taking the mystery out of it, keeping the lines of communication open, and allowing the curiosity to be satisfied with competent adult supervision, WILL.

That said, some of the most horrific murders I have heard of have been committed with kitchen cutlery, by surprising young teens. Keep tabs on your child's psychological development. THAT is what causes dangerous problems with firearms and kitchen cutlery - not the tools themselves.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:00 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would interpret that as a yes, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable sending my kid to your house, since you weren't even able to talk openly about it. If it has to be a secret, I have to wonder why.
Private is for things that happen in bedrooms and bathrooms, and things that could be embarrassing in public. What the heck are you doing with your gun that makes it "private?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting