Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 AM

71 posts, read 79,698 times

Advertisements

It was confirmed by the Newtown CT police that Nancy Lanza the mother of Killer Adam Lanza use to take her son shooting and allowed him access to her guns. I personally think that is bad parenting when you know a child has a mental disorder.

Nancy Lanza school teacher Sandy Hook Elementary shooting

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...532_story.html

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Its not confirmed that he has aspergers , it doesn't fit in with behaviors of most aspies.... 99% of the community is non violent and the other 1% is somewhat violent but something this big is unlikely to happen due to Autistic mind....it would prevent a violent aspie from hurting anyone but themselves.... He most likely has Personality disorder or is a skito...or an explosive disorder. I do know a decent amount of aspies who own guns ,they're not violent people and there very friendly....

Old 12-16-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its not confirmed that he has aspergers , it doesn't fit in with behaviors of most aspies.... 99% of the community is non violent and the other 1% is somewhat violent but something this big is unlikely to happen due to Autistic mind....it would prevent a violent aspie from hurting anyone but themselves.... He most likely has Personality disorder or is a skito...or an explosive disorder. I do know a decent amount of aspies who own guns ,they're not violent people and there very friendly....
The father Peter Lanza has confirmed his son Adam has Aspergers. I am not a MD. Ph.D but I have heard different opinions from doctors on TV regarding the behaviors of aspergers. I think your statement that 99 percent are non violent is not accurate.

But my question is Should parents with Children with Aspergers take their child shooting and allow them to have full access to their guns?

Last edited by Sara Lee; 12-16-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
The father Peter Lanza has confirmed his son Adam has Aspergers. I am not a MD. Ph.D but I have heard different opinions from doctors on TV regarding the behaviors of aspergers. I think your statement that 99 percent are non violent is not accurate.

But my question is Should parents with Children with Aspergers take their child shooting and allow them to have full access to their guns?
Well I have Aspergers , and i'm fully involved in the community....so I'm pretty I know more about Aspergers then someone who just hears about on the TV... TV doctors are generally idiots....like DR. Phil who isn't even a Doctor.... So the 99% is accurate....I don't think he had autism.... There are a few disorders that are violent and similar to Autism...like Personalty disorder is one of them and Explosive disorder is another he probably had one of these. Aspergers is unlikely , most of us Aspies couldn't even fathom being violent at least in our Adult years. Younger Aspies between 7-18 can be aggressive when pushed into a corner , or have tantrums or meltdowns but not violent towards others outside the Family.... For him to go in Public be violent towards strangers doesn't make any sense..... I can't find any cases where a officially diagnosed Aspie goes on a rampage in public , not say there aren't murders done by Aspies theres a few....but its rare and often its linked to abuse or bullying and its usually a Family member.

As for your question , no child under 18 should be at a gun range...

Old 12-16-2012, 01:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I have Asperger's, it's not a mental disorder, and I own guns.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have Asperger's, it's not a mental disorder, and I own guns.
thanks for your reply. Its very confusing some doctors on TV and reporters are calling it a mental disorder.

So if its not a mental disorder what is it? I am watching fox news and a MD keeps calling it a DSM-IV whatever that is .

lastly I appologise if i offended you or anyone else for calling it a mental disorder in my first post.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:06 AM

i just found this Autism Society - Asperger and here it states. Asperger's Disorder was added to the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV) in 1994 as a separate disorder from autism

Its very confusing and again dsm-IV has been mention as has been on the news.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
The vast majority of shootings are done with people who don't have Asperger's. I'm sure at least some of them have had indigestion. Should we prevent people with indigestion from owning guns?

I know many Aspies and none of them lack compassion. It's a stereotype they can't express emotions or don't feel, but believe me, they often feel more compassion for people than so called 'neuro-typicals.'

Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The vast majority of shootings are done with people who don't have Asperger's. I'm sure at least some of them have had indigestion. Should we prevent people with indigestion from owning guns?

I know many Aspies and none of them lack compassion. It's a stereotype they can't express emotions or don't feel, but believe me, they often feel more compassion for people than so called 'neuro-typicals.'

thanks for your education and input.

I predict in time a doctor of his may come forward and tell us what other issues Adam had. there was this doctor on TV William July and it was so on target He said lots of times people in General show signs of mental issues and parents ignore or are in denial and IF they would address issues they can prevent a person from committing crimes.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I don't think the issue of if he had Asperger's or not is what we should be concerned with. he definitely was not mentally well or "normal" and his mother knew that. She was at fault to have guns around a person who was not mentally well and she was in denial. If she wanted to work on his self esteem she surely could have found another hobby or activity than guns. She has paid the ultimate price for her inability to see the truth about her son. And the victims in Newtown are collateral damage to her ignorance and her son's rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting