Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Anyone have good suggestions for lunch boxes for preschoolers that have microwaveable sections? preferably, as eco friendly as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 10:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
I think I've seen some in Target that even come w/ utensils - some even have jel ice packs you can freeze in the hot summer to keep things cool if it has to sit outside a while. I think some had cartoon characters on the top of the plastic to make it more kid friendly. I think I've also seen them at Home Goods, Marshalls and TJMaxx for prob. under $5 in brightly colored plastic - not sure if it's what you're looking for but it's worth checking out if you have any of those stores near where you live (which you prob. do, living in WO).

Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I used to teach preschool. You do not want to send your child with something which will require adult supervision. The teacher will not have time to microwave lunch for every kid there. Some finger food will be just fine. As it is she will have to open juice boxes, open zip lock bags, etc and it is asking alot of a pre school teacher to fix a hot lunch as well.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Oscar mayer lunchables

Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I used to teach preschool. You do not want to send your child with something which will require adult supervision. The teacher will not have time to microwave lunch for every kid there. Some finger food will be just fine. As it is she will have to open juice boxes, open zip lock bags, etc and it is asking alot of a pre school teacher to fix a hot lunch as well.
I agree. In most preschools the microwave is in another room or in a kitchen area. So the teacher would need to make sure that the other students have appropriate adult coverage and supervision before she could leave the students to handle your child's lunch. Obviously, that would be extremely difficult. Just imagine if every parent requested that? Yikes!

BTW, kindergarten and elementary school teachers do not heat up bag lunches either. There is a reason that they call them "cold lunches".

If you really wanted you child to have something warm, you could always use a wide mouth thermos. The problem with those are they are almost impossible for young children to open independently.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I was just going to post something similar to many others saying that the teachers will not heat up lunches unless they specifically state that lunches that need to be heated are OK. If you want something warm, use thermal packs to keep it hot, or a thermos.

We used to have microwaves available to students at one of my schools and it was a NIGHTMARE! Kids were putting in things that they shouldn't, forgetting to vent the plastic, etc... It was too much for the staff to handle on top of everything else they needed to do. The microwaves left after a month.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I was just going to post something similar to many others saying that the teachers will not heat up lunches unless they specifically state that lunches that need to be heated are OK. If you want something warm, use thermal packs to keep it hot, or a thermos.

We used to have microwaves available to students at one of my schools and it was a NIGHTMARE! Kids were putting in things that they shouldn't, forgetting to vent the plastic, etc... It was too much for the staff to handle on top of everything else they needed to do. The microwaves left after a month.
I once had a parent throw a fit because I wouldn't heat her child's lunch in the teacher lounge. My principal told me to just do it. So I would take my whole class to lunch and get them settled. Then go to the lounge and wait in the microwave line. Then heat it and return it to the student who was waiting in the hallway. Then she only had fifteen minutes left to eat. ( so did I) then her mom got mad about that and the problem went away.

I recommend using a thermos. Every preschool, Pk, kinder, and first grade teacher will help them open it. I used to pack chicken nuggets in a hot thermos I poured boiling water in and then out to heat it. ( she did have an early lunch though) they even make little metal bento boxes that you can use with heat packs.

Here are some ways to keep the lunch hot.
http://www.ehow.com/info_7894539_hot...-lunchbox.html
Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM

291 posts, read 392,510 times
My child's school offered to heat up lunches. It was very common. My kids are very chatty so I didn't want to waste their lunch time on that but other kids ate more if the food was heated. It stated in our parents' manual that they supported the healthiest lunch the child would eat, hot or cold.

When I did send her with a heatable lunch, I sent a Pyrex bowl. Very safe but gets hot. In the child's small, well-cared for classroom, it was the best option.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeZeeZee View Post
My child's school offered to heat up lunches. It was very common. My kids are very chatty so I didn't want to waste their lunch time on that but other kids ate more if the food was heated. It stated in our parents' manual that they supported the healthiest lunch the child would eat, hot or cold.

When I did send her with a heatable lunch, I sent a Pyrex bowl. Very safe but gets hot. In the child's small, well-cared for classroom, it was the best option.

Good luck!
Wow! Did this happen to be a private school? Was it because they didn't have a school hot lunch program?

Who actually heated up the lunches? At my local elementary school we have one to two lunch room aides supervising up to 125 children at a time while another aide supervises the computer lunch money check in. (There are three lunch periods). They can barely supervise the children now. How could they possible heat up lunches for the 30% to 40% of the children taking "cold lunch" each day.

Could you imagine how long it would take to heat up lunches from home for 38 to 50 children during the 35 minute lunch period and have enough time for the children to actually eat the food? Heck, we have three microwaves in the teachers lounge and only four to eight teachers during each of the lunch periods heating up their meals and we can barely get them all heated and still finish eating in time.

How in the world did the school manage to do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting