Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Sometimes the cases are screwed up. A few years back a teen drowned. Her father quit paying child support on her. The mother took him to court and the judge ruled that he had to pay support until the day of her 18th birthday, even though she was deceased.
Source?

Quote:
A friend of mine was paying support for his 18 year old son. The boy was going to college part time. He was ordered to continue paying even though the boy was no longer living with his mother and was making more money than his father. He paid until the boy turned 22. All of the money went directly to the mother.
I have no issue with this. If the father was really making less money than a part time college student, than the amount of his CS would have been small anyway. Regardless, parents, should help their children further their educations.

I had a student this year, got into Cornell and his father, knowing he was obligated to pay half of all college costs due to support order, refused to turn in his financial documents until told to by a judge. Unfortunately for my student, it was too late according to the school. His father pushed and pushed for him to go to community college, going so far, as to email me and ask me to counsel his son to go to the local CC. Shame on him!

Quote:
On the other side, I raised two boys who were 2 and 4 and supported their mother until they were grown. I never met their father. He told her and the judge at the divorce that he would never pay support and he never did. And he never spent a day in jail.
In this day and age, I have a very hard time believing a parent can end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in arrearage and not end up in county at least. Was this perhaps a very long time ago?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
or when they divorce and take half of a man's earnings? (Now, when it comes to taking half a man's earnings, I don't mind it if she helped built the money. But there are instances where divorce settlements are egregious).

Anyway, do they discuss this with their friends or do they decide this on their own? Do they have plans to do these things the first moment they meet a guy?
Not a parenting issue.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I had a student this year, got into Cornell and his father, knowing he was obligated to pay half of all college costs due to support order, refused to turn in his financial documents until told to by a judge. Unfortunately for my student, it was too late according to the school. His father pushed and pushed for him to go to community college, going so far, as to email me and ask me to counsel his son to go to the local CC. Shame on him!
*GASP* For shame! Shame on dad for not wanting to go into 10's/100's of thousands of debt. Junior isn't entitled to sticking it to his dad to such an extent.

Sorry, divorced parents should NOT be forced to contribute to college. Married parents aren't. Divorced parents shouldn't be, also.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
*GASP* For shame! Shame on dad for not wanting to go into 10's/100's of thousands of debt. Junior isn't entitled to sticking it to his dad to such an extent.

Sorry, divorced parents should NOT be forced to contribute to college. Married parents aren't. Divorced parents shouldn't be, also.
He is "forced" to pay 1/3 of his only child's cost of attendance, and the kicker is, being an Ivy League school, Cornell would have given them enormous amount of aid. But because he even refused to let his son apply for financial aid by refusing to share his documents, they lost out on tens of thousands in aid.

And the shame should be for trying to manipulate teachers, friends,etc. into getting his child to let him off the hook instead of going back to court and dealing with it in the appropriate avenue.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 PM

118 posts, read 254,305 times
Quote:

There's a huge difference in CC and Ivy League. Most people would be thrilled that their child got in & if they couldn't afford it would at least push for a state university. This guy sounds like a ****ty dad.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-go View Post
There's a huge difference in CC and Ivy League. Most people would be thrilled that their child got in & if they couldn't afford it would at least push for a state university. This guy sounds like a ****ty dad.
And the kicker was, that as part of the divorce decree mom had agreed to give up any interest in the family home in lieu of help down the road with college. I got an earful during the senior brunch when mom sat at our table.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

My son will be moving in with me at the end of the year and transferring to a university here. The ex does not really believe in education.
What do you mean by that? Do you mean he's just indifferent about his kids' education or do you mean he thinks higher education is not worth the money? If the latter, unless a student has very clear and realistic career plans in mind that the education is meant to qualify him/her for, college often really isn't worth the investment nowadays. Higher education is too expensive for students to be on anything other than a direct career track.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
He is "forced" to pay 1/3 of his only child's cost of attendance, and the kicker is, being an Ivy League school, Cornell would have given them enormous amount of aid. But because he even refused to let his son apply for financial aid by refusing to share his documents, they lost out on tens of thousands in aid.

And the shame should be for trying to manipulate teachers, friends,etc. into getting his child to let him off the hook instead of going back to court and dealing with it in the appropriate avenue.
You put "forced" in quotes, but would he be given a choice?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more. This has always seemed wrong to me. My parents did not have to(and did not) pay for my schooling and I never resented them for it or thought they ever had the obligation.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You put "forced" in quotes, but would he be given a choice?
He got the family home in the divorce decree in exchange for paying for college. He agreed to it so I put "forced" in quotes. I think it was pretty crappy to take that agreement 8 years ago and then try to get out of it later by getting other people to try to convince your IL accepted kid to go to a community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting