Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times

Advertisements

Collected

Perhaps he needs a sibling. Does he get to see power rangers? bionocles? transformers? Howdo you see all that on 30 mins a day? These companies spend big money to produce hours of INFO/entertaInment/commercials to get your kids to beg you to get Santa to buy this junk. How is your kid going to become an informed toy consumer?

30 mins of TV is nada

Try playing the DVD is another language and turn on the subtitles.

Note: One way to extract the TV is the old "its broken trick".

Sounds like he likes puzzles and books. Ain't nuttin rong wid dat@!

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 01-13-2008 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 AM

371 posts, read 2,030,210 times
Bob the Builder says -

"Perhaps he needs a sibling."

I would caution anyone on having a baby to provide a playmate for your existing child. Doesn't seem right to have a baby, who will not be able to really play with your child until another 3 or 4 years and they are already staring with a 5 year gap. My son is 5 years old and as I said before, a real handful, but he's mine. Once mine starts kindergarten in the Fall things will begin to be put into place. New friends, new activities and new excercise for the mind. When he was in preschool he would come home happy and exhausted.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Bob the Builder says -

"Perhaps he needs a sibling."

I would caution anyone on having a baby to provide a playmate for your existing child. Doesn't seem right to have a baby, who will not be able to really play with your child until another 3 or 4 years and they are already staring with a 5 year gap. My son is 5 years old and as I said before, a real handful, but he's mine. Once mine starts kindergarten in the Fall things will begin to be put into place. New friends, new activities and new excercise for the mind. When he was in preschool he would come home happy and exhausted.
Chill

I was kidding. But maybe he really needs a sibling anyway.

I've got three boys. 1,3 and 5. There is no toy problem here. My left foot which has been aching for two years now can attest to that.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,058,371 times
I was introduced to video games fairly early in life and I'm definitely not addicted nor was I ever. I played with my Game Boy occasionally though I didn't get it at 4 (or anywhere near 4) but I still went outdoors a lot. I watched TV for an hour or so in the mornings (woke up early) and watched it a bit more night but throughout the day I did other things.

I think as long as you control the amount of time your children spend watching TV, using the computer or playing video games, you'll be fine. You don't have to limit them altogether.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
Default no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Throw the nintendo away and never buy another. he will be addicted to it in a year or two and never do anything else.
I honestly have a new take on my situation since my very first post.
I do not mind my son watching his TV in his room for 15-20 min. after he comes home from school & another 15-20 min. while he's going to sleep for the night. He plays & learns hard all day at school (which he does have a FULL day at school while we work) & it's nice for him to come home & just relax. Not having to do anything but be entertained by Spongebob, Ninja Turtles or Nemo.

And the Nintendo, well, Santa brought him an educational VTech. The same rules apply with that one. He ONLY gets to play as a reward for good behaviour. Which brings him to do really nice things at school, at home & in public. He says really nice things to people & makes good decisions with his teachers. Hey, if that's what works then so be it! I have a good, smart boy. And now that he has more access to his game, he doesn't want it as much. Yesterday he had the choice of playing it or helping me downstairs & he chose to help me for a bit then put together his new CARS puzzle.

At first I was worried, but I've got some really good advice on this post.
And no, I won't be throwing anything away.

Last edited by collected_eve; 01-14-2008 at 09:06 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
I didn't read every post on the thread b/c it really started getting on my nerves. My son didn't play with toys much either. TV is not horrible if you know what your kid is watching and neither are video games. My husband is a huge video game nut and my son has been playing with him since he was like 3 (he'll be 8 this week). They have a great time playing Madden and NBA together. He got an XBox 360 for Christmas and is getting the PSP for his birthday. My son also has fantastic hand eye coordination and is great at sports. He also does very well in school and learned to read pretty quickly b/c he had to read the directions in the games. Our children have access to technology that we didn't have. Don't treat it like it's horrible. Yes, we need to be aware of what our kids watch/do, but they are growing up differently than we did. My son goes outside to play, plays sports, etc. He's not an overweight couch potato. I really think some parents need to loosen up some times.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
Default thank goodness for moms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I didn't read every post on the thread b/c it really started getting on my nerves.
I feel yah there!

My son didn't play with toys much either. TV is not horrible if you know what your kid is watching and neither are video games. My husband is a huge video game nut and my son has been playing with him since he was like 3 (he'll be 8 this week). They have a great time playing Madden and NBA together. He got an XBox 360 for Christmas and is getting the PSP for his birthday. My son also has fantastic hand eye coordination and is great at sports. He also does very well in school and learned to read pretty quickly b/c he had to read the directions in the games. Our children have access to technology that we didn't have. Don't treat it like it's horrible. Yes, we need to be aware of what our kids watch/do, but they are growing up differently than we did. My son goes outside to play, plays sports, etc. He's not an overweight couch potato. I really think some parents need to loosen up some times.
Thanks Austins Mom! It's posts like this that reassure me that I'm not doing anything wrong.

My son wasn't interested in toys & what I learned was that he had totally outgrown his toys & needed something to better stimulate him.
Christmas was great!! He has all these new things to keep his little growning brain occupied & he loves it. The Nintendo is no longer important. He occassionally wants to watch me play Mario & asks to watch. But geez, I only play an hour, maybe, a week.

Yes, alot of people were very critical of my post. But then again, it's hard to get the full story in just a few words.
Thank you so much for your input!!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
electronics for the kids ARE toys these days. It is a different world than what we grew up in and electronics are helping them learn what they need to function in the world.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
electronics for the kids ARE toys these days. It is a different world than what we grew up in and electronics are helping them learn what they need to function in the world.
Awesome point DimSumRaja!! Those kids playing with the electronics may be the next Bill Gates or developers of the games they once played. Computers are in everything we use practically. Thank God for computers and this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting