Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your supportive and thoughtful comments! I'm glad to know i'm not completely off base here.

I did read Siblings Without Rivalry back in the early years, found it very helpful. I'm sure it influenced some of my approach over the years.

I wrote the original post last night at 7:!5, just after oldest had left for rehearsal (Youngest is at Dad's house) I did the dishes, went for a walk, read a book, went to bed. When she came home she cried on my shoulder for half an hour about how awful her rehearsal was and how it is all about her. I did as the counselor said and just did reflective listening instead of trying to FIX her problem. Then I slept, got up, ate, started the laundry.

I'm rather astonished that someone left a rep comment expressing surprise that I hadn't already come back and responded to your posts! I do have a life outside of posting on CD! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I'm rather astonished that someone left a rep comment expressing surprise that I hadn't already come back and responded to your posts! I do have a life outside of posting on CD! :-)
I didn't express surprise, did I? Maybe I did. I believe I asked if you were going to come back and respond. Sometimes people don't and leaving a rep message helps them remember they started a thread when they return to the forums even if it's days or weeks later. It's really not astonishing. I wasn't sitting here on the edge of my seat, but I was looking forward to your response. Based on how quickly you responded after I left the comment, it worked too, didn't it? LOL

Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
You need to teach your youngest to lock the bathroom door, and your oldest to knock before entering. I think a faceful of toothpaste is a pretty decent natural consequence for that kind of invasion of privacy at their age.

But both girls need to learn to cope better, if they are both demanding that you straighten out a small problem like this. You make it sound as if you were hunkered down, hoping they don't become bipolar. Are you teaching them the kind of coping skills that will prevent significant depression and mania, which is only a defense against depression that never lets up? If you aren't up to this job, call in a parenting coach or a family counselor. See if you can find a PMTO-trained counselor.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Okay first off has the one child who has a bi polar issue been tested ? I think the term bi polar gets thrown around a lot as an excuse for bad behavior on ones part . If you know for sure she has bi polar that should not effect your punishment either way . I say punish them both equally make it very clear to the oldest one , that when someone asks for privacy while using the bathroom they should get it , therefore she crossed the line and needs to be a week with out a cell phone , tv , internet etc and stand firm on this and too bad if Disney family does not like it . The youngest should also be punished for the toothpaste incident and should be made to clean the bathroom for a week . Easy simple punishment but still punishments .Good luck to you .

Old 08-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You need to teach your youngest to lock the bathroom door, and your oldest to knock before entering. I think a faceful of toothpaste is a pretty decent natural consequence for that kind of invasion of privacy at their age.

But both girls need to learn to cope better, if they are both demanding that you straighten out a small problem like this. You make it sound as if you were hunkered down, hoping they don't become bipolar. Are you teaching them the kind of coping skills that will prevent significant depression and mania, which is only a defense against depression that never lets up? If you aren't up to this job, call in a parenting coach or a family counselor. See if you can find a PMTO-trained counselor.
What is PMTO? We are working with CBT right now, but obviously if she develops full blown bi-polar, that won't suffice.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I say punish them both equally make it very clear to the oldest one , that when someone asks for privacy while using the bathroom they should get it , therefore she crossed the line and needs to be a week with out a cell phone , tv , internet etc and stand firm on this and too bad if Disney family does not like it . The youngest should also be punished for the toothpaste incident and should be made to clean the bathroom for a week . Easy simple punishment but still punishments .Good luck to you .
I love the cleaning the bathroom idea!

As for oldest, she is currently in rehearsal for two shows at once...55 hours per week. She is doing AP summer homework and setting up the schedule for Drama Club for the school year. She runs her 'business' like an adult, and to remove electronic or transportation privileges would inhibit all that work and be super inconvenient for me!

And yes, I know all this pressure she puts on herself is a big part of what makes her pop her cork at her sister.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Okay first off has the one child who has a bi polar issue been tested ? I think the term bi polar gets thrown around a lot as an excuse for bad behavior on ones part . If you know for sure she has bi polar that should not effect your punishment either way . I say punish them both equally make it very clear to the oldest one , that when someone asks for privacy while using the bathroom they should get it , therefore she crossed the line and needs to be a week with out a cell phone , tv , internet etc and stand firm on this and too bad if Disney family does not like it . The youngest should also be punished for the toothpaste incident and should be made to clean the bathroom for a week . Easy simple punishment but still punishments .Good luck to you .
No one should be punished by the mom. It's all hearsay, some of it documentalbe (scratches, toothpaste), some not (pushed vs hit, left door open a crack vs larger opening,etc). It didn't happen on Mom's watch. If mom feels she absolutely must punish, then punish equally. I agree that taking away phones, cars, etc can be as hard on the parent as the kid. I did take the car away sometimes for social events, but let them drive for other things such as school, sports, trips I wanted them to make such as to the grocery store for me, etc.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well I understand about the electronics bit but find something that works . the bathroom will work for the other one though and she will hate it guarantee you that ...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Tell her she should have gotten out of the bathroom when asked, and have a talk with both of them about closing the bathroom door!

Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
The youngest is right, but it was a stupid argument. Eventually they will make up. Don't make it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting