Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:53 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because quite a few times I've been to people's homes during the dinner hour and their kids are sitting on the floor watching tv and eating or some kids take their plate to their rooms and eat which seems kind of shocking imo. Do families still sit at the kitchen or dining room table and have dinner together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
In high school we tried, but I generally had a minimum of 4 hours of homework after daily 3 hour marching band rehearsals so often if I wanted to get my work done and go to bed at a decent hour, I'd have to take my plate to wherever I was studying, writing, or working.

Now that I'm in college and only come home for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year, we always try to eat dinner together. However, my brother is now in band and has a similar workload as I did as well as his own paying trumpet gigs and other activities which means he's often at school and busy from 7AM to 10PM. And that's before homework... so it's just not a possibility.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:47 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,363,370 times
We have dinner together on days when the routine isn’t thrown out of whack. When dinner prep is later than usual or if the kids have a late appointment (i.e. orthodontia appointment or similar) and dinner time is thrown back too late, I’ll warm a plate and they’ll eat in their room while doing homework.

If it’s just my daughter and me at home, she’ll grab a plate and eat in her room. If it’s me and my son, we’ll eat together (because he really likes to ).

My daughter LOVES to eat meals in her room.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:54 AM

919 posts, read 3,185,590 times
Always...we sit down every evening and thank god for our food, we talk bout our day at times..other times we just eat and enjoy the waterfall in our dining room...dinner is a time for us to be together, to share, to have a meal and relax...always with no tv or phone, we make dinner time very special on a daily basis...cause we want too, not cause we feel we have too

Old 12-25-2007, 11:26 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
Every night.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:22 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,083 times
I wish we did it more .. but with work and school schedules ... it is not always possible.
I hardly ever see my kids, much less have dinner with them.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,379,620 times
Every night. We talk about what happened at school, etc. My kids are still little, so we have very few scheduling conflicts.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:05 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,215,943 times
Do you and your children have dinner together?

My parents both grew up in a house (large households) where they all ate together as a family. It's how I was raised, and that's how we share more than meals with my children, same as my spouse. When the kids were little we started "dinner & a movie" (shortly after TBS came out with their own version... but we had ours going first ) we'd all sit in the livingroom and watch a movie we've seen 99 times before, or a newly rented one. It's our own little tradition but we're still sharing dinner.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,642 times
Without fail, food is never eaten anywhere else (house)

Old 12-26-2007, 08:02 AM

667 posts, read 2,301,266 times
We usually eat out once a week, but other than that, the dinner table at home is the only place to be!

Which we are still sitting together at the restaurant table, but more distractions going on, so not much "how was your day" talk.

I think it's nice to see how many families still eat together, because when I was in highschool, my family had really fallen out of that. And it's nice to have all of my own family sit at the supper table together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting