Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,438,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I don't think PETA would appreciate that very much!!
I believe he was talking about masturbation, and not an actual monkey

thats what I got from the post.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,095,086 times
At the risk of feeding the forum troll, it's like everything else; It can be effective as long as it's only done in moderation. Don't smack the crap out of the kid for minor issues, but when all else fails, you have to bring him/her in line somehow.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,299,502 times
Wait - What's the question? "Does not spanking kids lead to aggressive behavior?"

Is it, "Doesn't spanking kids lead to aggressive behavior?" (Meaning, "It does, doesn't it?")
OR
"Does not spanking (i.e., refraining from spanking) lead to aggressive behavior?"

Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Spanking does not lead to anything. Now the belt using the belt buckle side that really hurt as a kid.

Seriously, I recall the days when the nuns would hit you with the ruler, spank you and smash you with the pointer.

One kid I recall the nun did all three and told NUN is that all you got, nun told him I am warming up. Called his Dad at work from Emergency contact list and told him to leave work now and get to school. Blue collar back then so she has to call boss, who calls Foreman who calls his supervisor that a NUN is on the phone and his kid is in trouble. Had to leave work early and get docked pay.

That kid got worked over with the belt for several hours that night. He was nice and calm and polite the rest of school year. First grade is some hard leaning in the Bronx in Catholic School.
EEER. I've heard variations of that story my whole life. I'm sure this one happened exactly like you say and the kid was just peachy from that point forward because that's exactly what being beat with a belt for hours does to a person...makes them model citizens just like that.

Not that nuns and other teachers/adults didn't used to beat on kids openly, they did and often still do, but it never actually turns out the way the stories like to say.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,036 times
If that story was true it is utterly horrid. How can anyone think it is ok for a child to be beaten with a belt for several hours, even if it works incredibly well and the child behaves well from then on? No one would think its ok for that to happen to an adult so it isn't ok for a child either.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
If that story was true it is utterly horrid. How can anyone think it is ok for a child to be beaten with a belt for several hours, even if it works incredibly well and the child behaves well from then on? No one would think its ok for that to happen to an adult so it isn't ok for a child either.
If you had been raised in my generation you would have been familiar with trips to the woodshed.

Compare the young people of that generation to young people of this one. You have to arrive at certain conclusions...

Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,488,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
Then what causes it?
Human nature and millions of years of evolution tends to cause aggression.

I believe spanking kids, if done correctly and reasonably, can deter some aggression, although it's not the only thing that can do so. But that's far from saying that not spanking causes aggressive behavior.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If you had been raised in my generation you would have been familiar with trips to the woodshed.

Compare the young people of that generation to young people of this one. You have to arrive at certain conclusions...
I don't see anything wrong with the young people of this generation where I am.

Would you be ok if I took you for a trip to the woodshed to beat you for a few hours? If not then why would it be ok to do to a child?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with the young people of this generation where I am.
It's clear no communication will succeed between you and me.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,488,958 times
Quote:
Would you be ok if I took you for a trip to the woodshed to beat you for a few hours? If not then why would it be ok to do to a child?
What we do to punish adults is much worse than a whipping, not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting