Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times

Advertisements

Yes, additional hormones can lead to an increased chance of breast cancer. this is true however you are getting your hormones - pill, injection, IUD.

But, again, there is an IUD out there without any hormones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, additional hormones can lead to an increased chance of breast cancer. this is true however you are getting your hormones - pill, injection, IUD.

But, again, there is an IUD out there without any hormones.
Yeah, the solution there is to use the paragard IUD, which doesn't have any hormones at all. I don't know why that article called out IUDs in particular when there are other forms of birth control that use the same synthetic version of progesterone. I truly don't understand the anti-IUD bias in this country at all. A lot of my friends had never even heard of an IUD until I had one and told them about it, yet every single one of them had taken BC pills.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I got my teen daughter the Nexplanon implant when she started getting serious with her boyfriend. Other parents I know recommended it. It is progesterone-based, and her gyn said it is the most effective form of birth control next to abstinence (better than tubal ligation!) We are both relieved to know that she does not have to worry about pregnancy for 3 years.
My mom put me on Norplant, the first implant-based birth control, when I became sexually active. She was smart, and made sure to put me on a birth control that doesn't have a high user error/failure rate. There is no user error. If a good chunk of women aren't so great at taking birth control pills, what makes people think teenage girls are any better. I was also on the Mirena twice and ParaGard once, and will go back on the Mirena after having this baby.

I'll do the same when my daughters are sexually active. I never had to worry about pregnancy, and I had it removed after my first husband and I decided to TTC.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:54 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times
Glad I don't have daughters! My 2 sons are under 10.

Just keep in mind though that IUD and implants may be the most effective method of birth control and public health officials want (particularly low income girls) to use these methods because it will help reach their public health goals (reducing teen pregnancy particularly among low income and minority youth) but they may not be what is best from an individual health perspective.

On an individual level there are definite health risks to these methods. So those with more education (and self-control) would be better to practice either abstinence or use multiple types of less effective methods together. Condom/spermicidal gel, etc. Much less health risk with those methods and if used together very effective.

Encouraging monogamous relationships seems to be the better route. I never had sex as a teen and most of my friends didn't have sex until their 20's either. It's not impossible you know and I wouldn't just assume that "my child is just going to have sex, so let's put an IUD in!" That is really lazy parenting.
If they asked for it, I would discuss it, but just to put it in and say "go have fun!", seems stupid! Expect more from your teen.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Glad I don't have daughters! My 2 sons are under 10.

Just keep in mind though that IUD and implants may be the most effective method of birth control and public health officials want (particularly low income girls) to use these methods because it will help reach their public health goals (reducing teen pregnancy particularly among low income and minority youth) but they may not be what is best from an individual health perspective.

On an individual level there are definite health risks to these methods. So those with more education (and self-control) would be better to practice either abstinence or use multiple types of less effective methods together. Condom/spermicidal gel, etc. Much less health risk with those methods and if used together very effective.

Encouraging monogamous relationships seems to be the better route. I never had sex as a teen and most of my friends didn't have sex until their 20's either. It's not impossible you know and I wouldn't just assume that "my child is just going to have sex, so let's put an IUD in!" That is really lazy parenting.
If they asked for it, I would discuss it, but just to put it in and say "go have fun!", seems stupid! Expect more from your teen.
While I don't disagree with your overall sentiment, I would like to make two points.

1) There are certainly risks to using a spermicidal gel, as it irritates the cells that line the vagina and the rectum, making them more vulnerable to attack by STDs. Using a spermicide actually increases your risk of contracting the AIDS virus.

2) I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. We were strictly taught that sex before marriage was never an option. period. There were four children and (at least) two had sex in high school, all of us had sex before marriage. While I know many people will think "my children will be better" or "I will do a better job preaching abstinence" , I strongly believe my parents did an excellent job raising us, and teaching the importance of abstinence. But, we were all our own person, and all made our own choices, whether right or wrong.

So, while I do not agree with the "my child is just going to have sex, so let's put an IUD in!" theory either, I don't think it is realistic to just assume they won't have sex, just because you told them not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting