Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 PM

143 posts, read 133,930 times

Advertisements

There is this really dumb thing that young people often do and I did my share of it myself. Its this, when a dumb older person makes a bad choice the younger person goes along with it. The older people who make bad choices often are parents but not always and not necessarily. I just wanted to point that out that its important for young people to sometimes question the decisions of older people. Just because they're older and just because they're parents or whatever doesn't mean they're right. I speak from my own experience, I made that mistake all too often myself and I regret it to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:47 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
All-righty then!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
There is this really dumb thing that young people often do and I did my share of it myself. Its this, when a dumb older person makes a bad choice the younger person goes along with it. The older people who make bad choices often are parents but not always and not necessarily. I just wanted to point that out that its important for young people to sometimes question the decisions of older people. Just because they're older and just because they're parents or whatever doesn't mean they're right. I speak from my own experience, I made that mistake all too often myself and I regret it to this day.
As long as that young person is paying their own way, right?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As long as that young person is paying their own way, right?
Just because somebody else is paying your way doesn't mean you should be following every choice they make without question. Lets say somebody who is paying your way says you should binge drink and then go driving in a car, would you do it? There are some families that will encourage that believe it or not.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:27 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
There are some families that will encourage that believe it or not.
Not very many, if any at all.

Is that YOUR experience... you were encouraged to binge drink and drive?
For what did you get grounded?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not very many, if any at all.

Is that YOUR experience... you were encouraged to binge drink and drive?
For what did you get grounded?
I was never encouraged to drink and drive but there were other dumb choices that I dumbly went along with. Drinking and driving is just one of the many gazillion dumb choices a person can make and just because an older person doesn't encourage that doesn't mean they can't make other dumb choices.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,947 times
I think the moral of the story here is to follow your gut and if you feel a situation is wrong or you feel like you're being asked to go along with something that you don't agree with that you should question the situation and the person trying to lead you to do something against your better judgement no matter who they are.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I think the moral of the story here is to follow your gut and if you feel a situation is wrong or you feel like you're being asked to go along with something that you don't agree with that you should question the situation and the person trying to lead you to do something against your better judgement no matter who they are.
Exactly. Although you shouldn't just follow your gut, you should also use judgement and think it through. But just because somebody is older or even wiser doesn't mean they're always right. This has been a moral lesson that's been taught over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting