Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM

24 posts, read 40,579 times

Advertisements

I have a question about a 15 yr old boys behavior towards his mother. Sometimes on the couch in the evening, or even at the dinner table, this quiet boy will lay his head on his mothers' shoulder or chest, and start nuzzling her. He will close his eyes, and smile while he's doing it. He will lay there for minutes at a time, and has spent 15 or 20 minutes like that some evenings. I have mentioned my distain at both of their behaviors to my wife, and she says I'm the only one who has a problem with it.
Last night we went to myparents house for a Halloween family get-together. In front of my parents, my two siblings, and their families, my wife (52) and her son pulled a blanket over themselves. And my stepson started hugging and nuzzling his mother. I immediately told him to pull himself off of her, quietly and discreetly, at first. He smirked at me, and then he closed his eyes, and continued. My wife ignored me.
My family members started noticing, and one by one, four of them came over to talk with me. Comments ranged from... "What's going on over there" to "that is totally inappropriate, what's wrong with her?".
I was embarrassed, so I asked her to get out from under the blanket with him, and she said they were cold.
I then went to the bedroom and got my stepson his hoodie. I also told them to get away from the open front door, where we were handing out candy. They moved to a couch across the room, where they immediately cuddled up again, this time with his arm around his mothers' shoulders. and him laying his head into the crook of her neck. By now, I had had enough ( I was mortified!)... I told them we were leaving... and I lashed out at her saying... if he was that tired after having sex, he should get home and get to bed! ( I know, not my finest hour, but this has been going on too long, in my opinion.) When we got home, and I tried to calm down, we didn't speak for 4 hours. My wife wanted to pretend like nothing happened. I told her she embarrassed me. She said no one else seemed to care. I told her about the comments, and she went to the bedroom, and closed the door to go to sleep.
Is this normal behavior between a mother and son, or do I have reason for concern?
Thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 07:39 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Um, wow.

How long have you been married?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I cannot imagine that you did not know this situation happens before you married this woman.
You did spend time with her and her child before you got married correct?
Why are you just now saying something about this behavior?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 AM

Married eleven years... boy was four years old then... normal behavior for a four year old to cuddle with mommy..
How could I know this would start again when he was 14 or 15 years old???

Old 10-31-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I cannot imagine that you did not know this situation happens before you married this woman.
You did spend time with her and her child before you got married correct?
Why are you just now saying something about this behavior?
"Just saying something now" because this behavior has gone from sitting next to mom on couch, to nuzzling his head into crook of her neck, to now hugging her for minutes at a time, to him sitting in front of her and gazing at her for what seems like an uncomfortable length of time..
I have mentioned this to her before, and it get brushed away!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I literally don't know what to tell you.

It sounds like they are teaming up against you.

No, this behavior is not typical, but it could be that they enjoy getting a rise out of you. Try NOT reacting.

Did your whole family really comment on it and they STILL persisted?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
I think everyone involved knows it isn't normal. What else is going on?

Old 10-31-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Did your whole family really comment on it and they STILL persisted?
My family only pulled me aside... They would never say anything to her...
for my sake.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
It's time to see a family therapist. NOW.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
That's sick. There is something wrong with the kid. Your wife probably loves it and she feels like Mother Superior.

My stepdaughter snuggled with her daddy for many years but she's a girl, and he raised her himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting