Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times

Advertisements

Growing up, my mom would tell me that I needed to hug my Grandparents and relatives so their feelings wouldn't get hurt. Even the relatives I only saw maybe 1-2x a year.

I HATED it. To me when I was growing up, it just felt weird and me uncomfortable especially when I was going through puberty. I felt like my personal space was being violated.

At home, you can see where I'm coming from... My parents rarely, if ever hugged each other, showed any affectrion towards one another, or even say things like "I Love You". The same with me and my siblings. My father NEVER hugged us, NEVER showed us affection or say "I Love you". It was living in a very emotionally distanced home. I had someone tell me at least you had a father....Yes, but he was never a dad, very uninvolved and left all the parental responsiblities onto my mother.

So, as a child and teen, it made it very awkward being told to hug them when I didn't want to. I just didn't get it that I never hugged my parents but had to hug my Grandparents & relatives

When I turned an adult, I still hugged them when I saw them out of spite to avoid my mother getting mad at me. Then I decided to stand up for myself and just didn't go to family gatherings and such...Anything to avoid my relatives. And my mom say I'm cold and heartless. There's an old saying that goes...If you have to force love, then it's probably crap.". Sooo true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 AM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
I did not force my kids to do that... they hugged relatives willingly.

Sad that you could not do so, even once or twice a year. Seriously, it only takes two seconds.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
I imagine it would be difficult to feel comfortable with physical contact if you didn't experience it as a child, and I agree with Pitt Chick, it's sad.

My sons are natural huggers. They adored their grandparents, and never had to be forced to hug or kiss them. I wouldn't have required it of them.

With our grandson, we let him come to us. He gravitates towards my husband, but I can count on a hug or two.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Not ever, no never did I force my children to hug anyone. It's gross! Hug aunt tally now. Ugh! My kids willingly hug people they are comfortable with but there have been situations where other people wanted hugs and I was not at all willing to force them to be hugged.

I have the same rule about tickling. No means no and stop means stop. Not in 5 seconds, now. I hold my kids to that rule together too.

We cuddle and hug a lot at home. But if my kids don't know someone well, they don't want to hug them. I'm totally ok with that

Old 11-24-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

Sad that you could not do so, even once or twice a year. Seriously, it only takes two seconds.
Damn it I hate it when I mean to quote and give a rep point.

Personal space is people's rights. Taking that away is wrong. Nothing wrong with the op to not want to be forced into physical contact with a near stranger

Old 11-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
. Nothing wrong with the op to not want to be forced into physical contact with a near stranger
Didn't say there was...

Reread and you will see that I said it is sad that they could not do so, not that they are wrong.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Didn't say there was...

Reread and you will see that I said it is sad that they could not do so, not that they are wrong.
Perhaps I read it in a different tone then intended. It seemed like a put down.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Indeed you did.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times
No way with the forced hugging. My ex-spouse was very disrespectful of the personal space of others (as were some of his family and friends) and I was not going to make the children touch anyone/anything they did not want to. In addition, 2 of my 3 children are on the spectrum, and they prefer to initiate touch on their own terms rather than have others swoop in and hug them.

Over the years, the only relatives the kids truly shied away from were either seen very infrequently/in from out of town, or "impaired" in some way.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,357,367 times
Quote:

Yeah, you do have a point....However, It just made me uncomfortable. I wasn't trying to be a brat by not wanting to hug relatives I had seen infrequently. All it taught me was to disregard my feelings just to please someone else. If an adult is going to be butthurt over a child not hugging, then they're the one with issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting