Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Besides immunizations, there are very serious childhood onset diseases that have to be caught early for effective treatment. Leukemia comes to mind. A parent might not notice the symptoms, or misinterpret them. A doctor will do a blood test and know. There are many other diseases. They may not be common, but they happen. Most insurance covers an annual checkup for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 11:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Maybe my experience with well checks was different from others but they never drew blood. They checked height and weight to make sure growth was on target. They checked the heart rate, looked in the ears and at the eyes and throat. They checked the lungs, they checked the private parts, felt the abdominal area and I filled out a questionnaire about development and that was about it. The visits lasted about 15 minutes, max.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
My oldest daughter (middle child) was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes last year. Her doctor put some of the small signs and symptoms together (including a slight drop in weight) during a "well visit" and had her do a ketone urine test in the office. Next thing we know we are in the ER and being admitted to the hospital for a week long stay. It was caught early enough that while her blood sugar was off the chart high, she had not yet entered DKA (Diabetic Keto-Acidosis) which would have caused damage to her organs.

My son's well check resulted in a referal to an endocrinologist and some blood work to make sure he wasn't experiencing early onset puberty after the doctor noticed some signs. He wasn't, but it wasn't something we would have even thought to "check".

So, yes, I think they are well advised.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Maybe my experience with well checks was different from others but they never drew blood. They checked height and weight to make sure growth was on target. They checked the heart rate, looked in the ears and at the eyes and throat. They checked the lungs, they checked the private parts, felt the abdominal area and I filled out a questionnaire about development and that was about it. The visits lasted about 15 minutes, max.
One of the symptoms of leukemia is enlarged lymph glands. If the doctor had noticed them, you can bet there would have been blood tests. Metabolic disorders show up in the eyes and extremities. Bulemia shows up in tooth enamel erosion. There is a whole laundry list of things a pediatrician will check. It's best to put a kid in front of a pediatrician at least once a year. Most parents don't even maintain a chart of their child's weight after they are out of infancy.

I agree that Mom has no business being in an exam room with a 13 year old.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That sounds more like a sports physical and not an actual wellness check. They didn't draw blood each time...but yes blood work and urine analysis were done.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That sounds more like a sports physical and not an actual wellness check. They didn't draw blood each time...but yes blood work and urine analysis were done.
They were wellness checks, not sports physicals. I wonder if these well checks differ from one place to another. I know they shouldn't but it sounds like they might.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I agree that Mom has no business being in an exam room with a 13 year old.
Wow. Did I mention that my 13-year-old wanted me to be there? Practices must differ in this regard because my daughter and I were ushered into the room together--there was no mention of leaving me out.

At 15 or 16, yes, I am fine with that. At a young 13...not so much.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
We take the kids in and also every 6 months to the dentist.

When the kids get into high school they need a physical each year anyway for sports. Scouts wants them to have a Physical for the summer camps.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Young, minor children do not always want to tell their doctor in front of their mothers that they are sexually active, thinking about being sexually active, or are trying alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. Some teens are also not comfortable having their privates examined with a parent in the room.

Also, some parents (moms, in particular) are quick to jump in to answer the doctor's questions, not allowing the teens to answer. Doctor asks teenage Betty, "Betty, are you sexually active?" Quiet teen hesitates, and mom blurts, "Betty?! No! She's a good girl. She's not doing any of that stuff yet!" Conversation done.
I disagree with the parents not being included. We had the same pediatrician from birth to age 18 EXCEPT for a short period where our insurance changed and our regular pediatrician didn't take that insurance. I should have paid out of pocket, but we went to another pediatrician during that time, which ended up being one visit.

During that visit to the new pediatrician, the pediatrician asked me to leave the room. I did. They were something like 10 and 13ish. After the visit my daughters told me that when I left the room she asked them if they were sexually active and wanted to know if they needed birth control or anything and didn't want me to know, and that they could tell her and she wouldn't tell me.

What a bunch of BS. My regular pediatrician NEVER did anything like that! When my regular pediatrician examined genitalia, etc. once my kids reached puberty, I left the room voluntarily even though my kids didn't ask me to or indicate that they wanted me to.

When it came time that they needed birth control, they talked to me about it and they went to a gynecologist.

I just think it's ridiculous that my kid can't take an aspirin at school without my consent, but they can get birth control without my consent. I just feel like except in cases of neglect or abuse, no one should come between the parent/child and the parent shouldn't be kept out of the loop.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Wow. Did I mention that my 13-year-old wanted me to be there? Practices must differ in this regard because my daughter and I were ushered into the room together--there was no mention of leaving me out.

At 15 or 16, yes, I am fine with that. At a young 13...not so much.
Agreed. If she wanted you to be there, you should be. There have been times that I asked my daughters if they want me to wait in the waiting room and they told me they wanted me to come in the exam room. Now that they are older, that has included prenatal appointments. If they didn't want me to be there I'd be fine with that, but if they ask me to go with them, I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting