Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Last time something like this happened, I took the opportunity to learn my state laws regarding unattended minors. Fortunately, my state has only guidelines, so I was free to exercise my best judgement as a parent. I have absolutely no problem with the family's choice to allow the kids to walk home in that area. I frequently allowed my kids to go to the local grocery together and then walk home when they were younger, and I know they were very proud that I found them trustworthy enough to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:13 PM

452 posts, read 898,411 times
A rule is a rule it is not a law. Rules are meant to be broken a law was put into place by someone and by voting. If you do not like the law then get it changed!!! Vote!!! Have your voice heard!!!! There are many laws out that people do not like but you either voted on it or had someone that you voted into office vote for it. If you didn't vote then it is your own fault. I don't like a lot of laws but I have to abide by them and if not then I will have to pay the consiquences.

Have we became a nation of when there is a law we don't like we just say we don't like it and it doesn't apply to us? Therefore, I have no consiquence....

Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Just make sure everyone understand I do not agree with these laws, however, I do not live in Maryland!!!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:04 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What's her evidence that it's so much more dangerous now? Crime rates are actually lower than they have been in decades, and abductions or abuse of children by strangers is extremely rare.
You didn't read what she wrote.....it's how parents feel about safety....not the actual crime rate. We've seldom been safer.....yet a parents are more fearful.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
A rule is a rule it is not a law. Rules are meant to be broken a law was put into place by someone and by voting. If you do not like the law then get it changed!!! Vote!!! Have your voice heard!!!! There are many laws out that people do not like but you either voted on it or had someone that you voted into office vote for it. If you didn't vote then it is your own fault. I don't like a lot of laws but I have to abide by them and if not then I will have to pay the consiquences.

Have we became a nation of when there is a law we don't like we just say we don't like it and it doesn't apply to us? Therefore, I have no consiquence....
What law? There isn't a specific law they broke. They're guidelines for child neglect that can be interpreted. ...do you really think the world is black and white in regards to this?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM

That might be one of the problems with the world everyone works the law out to benefit them when needed. There are so many gray areas that everyone needs it spelled out for them so I don't sue them.

Don't drink the coffee it might be hot!!!! (McDonald's lawsuit).
Don't sled down this hill you might hit the tree at the end of the sledding hill!!!

These are all things that have happened where lawsuits occurred and stupid things have had to be put into place for people with no common sense.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
That might be one of the problems with the world everyone works the law out to benefit them when needed. There are so many gray areas that everyone needs it spelled out for them so I don't sue them.

Don't drink the coffee it might be hot!!!! (McDonald's lawsuit).
Don't sled down this hill you might hit the tree at the end of the sledding hill!!!

These are all things that have happened where lawsuits occurred and stupid things have had to be put into place for people with no common sense.
You show that you are not informed when you mention the McDonald's coffee lawsuit....it was legit case of negligence on the restaurants part....it's not the'lack of common sense' case so many try to make it out to be.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
I don't know if neglect is the right word, but frankly, I think it's too risky. The world is just too crazy nowadays. A mile is a long way for children that age to walk without any adult supervision. I don't think they are bad parents. I do think that they aren't thinking clearly about the dangers of what they are doing.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't know if neglect is the right word, but frankly, I think it's too risky. The world is just too crazy nowadays. A mile is a long way for children that age to walk without any adult supervision. I don't think they are bad parents. I do think that they aren't thinking clearly about the dangers of what they are doing.
The world is safer then it ever has been....most people have lost their perspective on it because of our access to the 24 hour news cycle with news from around the world.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:40 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm so sick of this argument. Please turn off your television and read some actual statistics. The world is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting