Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 08:05 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,957,544 times

Advertisements

When I was young my parents let me:

Walk around the neighborhood at 8.
Ride my bike to town at 9.
Walk in the woods at 8.

The overprotective environment today is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 08:14 PM

436 posts, read 422,326 times
I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer there to be laws (or at least firm guidelines) set by the state as to when a child can be left alone - even if it seems like a ridiculous age that I personally don't agree with. See, it goes both ways. If there are no guidelines and it's left up to the parents' judgment, then they can say, "clearly we don't think the parents made a good decision by allowing the 8 year old to play down the street by himself." Whereas if the law says, that they need supervision under age 8, well then there you have it. Parent refers to the law, is found to be in compliance, it's probably going to end well.

I think most people are mature enough to drink earlier than 21 (and most countries have laws which reflect this opinion, age 16 or 18 or whatever), but the law says that you can get in trouble for drinking under that age. If you drink under that age, you realize that you're taking a risk with the law. Now... if you're 22 and still immature, you can still get in trouble if you act a fool while drunk, sure. But at least the bartender doesn't have to assess whether or not the patron is or is not mature enough. Does the card say 21? Yeah? OK, here's your beer.

The cop could see a child at the park, ask if he's OK, is he allowed to be here, how old are you? 8? Alright, great, carry on. 6? OK, I'm taking you home to your parents, you need to be 8. Done and done. If the child is 10 and doing something stupid or needs help, obviously that will affect his decision making, but barring all other circumstances, it should help screen out SOME instances of "helpful busybodies" making snap judgments.

Incidentally... I've heard of people saying that a person was driving too fast for a given weather condition / unsafe driving, even if they were obeying the speed limit. It IS possible to get a ticket for that, right? Or no? Genuine question.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,724,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
I might be in the minority, but I actually prefer there to be laws (or at least firm guidelines) set by the state as to when a child can be left alone - even if it seems like a ridiculous age that I personally don't agree with. See, it goes both ways. If there are no guidelines and it's left up to the parents' judgment, then they can say, "clearly we don't think the parents made a good decision by allowing the 8 year old to play down the street by himself." Whereas if the law says, that they need supervision under age 8, well then there you have it. Parent refers to the law, is found to be in compliance, it's probably going to end well.

I think most people are mature enough to drink earlier than 21 (and most countries have laws which reflect this opinion, age 16 or 18 or whatever), but the law says that you can get in trouble for drinking under that age. If you drink under that age, you realize that you're taking a risk with the law. Now... if you're 22 and still immature, you can still get in trouble if you act a fool while drunk, sure. But at least the bartender doesn't have to assess whether or not the patron is or is not mature enough. Does the card say 21? Yeah? OK, here's your beer.

The cop could see a child at the park, ask if he's OK, is he allowed to be here, how old are you? 8? Alright, great, carry on. 6? OK, I'm taking you home to your parents, you need to be 8. Done and done. If the child is 10 and doing something stupid or needs help, obviously that will affect his decision making, but barring all other circumstances, it should help screen out SOME instances of "helpful busybodies" making snap judgments.

Incidentally... I've heard of people saying that a person was driving too fast for a given weather condition / unsafe driving, even if they were obeying the speed limit. It IS possible to get a ticket for that, right? Or no? Genuine question.
Okay.....who decides what age? Some people aren't mature enough to drink at 25....some younger than 21. ....same way with kids....not all 8 year olds are the same and I don't want your inability to perceive what your child is ready for effect how I raise mine because of some lowest common denominator law.

And yes...if I person is driving too fast for the weather conditions and causes an issue...they most certainly can get a ticket. Did you pass driver's ed?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,235,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
That might be one of the problems with the world everyone works the law out to benefit them when needed. There are so many gray areas that everyone needs it spelled out for them so I don't sue them.

Don't drink the coffee it might be hot!!!! (McDonald's lawsuit).
Don't sled down this hill you might hit the tree at the end of the sledding hill!!!

These are all things that have happened where lawsuits occurred and stupid things have had to be put into place for people with no common sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You show that you are not informed when you mention the McDonald's coffee lawsuit....it was legit case of negligence on the restaurants part....it's not the'lack of common sense' case so many try to make it out to be.
I agree. 3a's, please read the actual case before you use that as an example. Or change your comment to "Don't drink the scalding hot coffee, that is at a temperature that is guaranteed to burn human mouths and human skin, given to you in a cup with an ill fitting lid."

Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM

32,156 posts, read 15,156,265 times
[quote=Huckleberry3911948;38042400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I hope you're not trying to imply that these parents are abusive simply because they allowed their children to walk home from a playground.[/QUO
I don't want to walk home alone in dc and I am a grown man and I sure don't want to label DC drug parks playgrounds

Seriously, I grew up in DC and had no hesitations walking home alone. What drug parks and playgrounds are you talking about.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 PM

452 posts, read 900,211 times
You may want to read the below information, she spilled her coffee while putting creamer and sugar in it.

On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49-cent cup of coffee from the drive-through window of a local McDonald's restaurant located at 5001 Gibson Boulevard Southeast. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her grandson's 1989 Ford Probe, which did not have cup holders, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. Liebeck placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[9] Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.

McDonalds, Starbucks, Wendy's and many more still serve coffee at the same
temperature as they did then as they do now. (I do feel sorry for the lady).

I believe this post is about children and how the parents left them alone in a park and were walking home. Please keep on the subject there is a law not a rule but a law. Tired of wanting the laws when they benefit people but when they don't people complain. If you don't like the law then do something about it get it changed!!! Or obide by it!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I don't know if neglect is the right word, but frankly, I think it's too risky. The world is just too crazy nowadays. A mile is a long way for children that age to walk without any adult supervision. I don't think they are bad parents. I do think that they aren't thinking clearly about the dangers of what they are doing.
It's not neglect. In fact, it's just the opposite. They are trying to teach their children how to be responsible. They are teaching them life lessons, instead of many parents who coddle their kids to protect them. But it's not up to government to tell these parents how to raise their children. That is the problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,188,026 times
Not at all surprising that this happened in Maryland, one of the most "big brother" states in the USA.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 PM

450 posts, read 509,336 times
"...We've seldom been safer.....yet a parents are more fearful..."

Wow! As a parent of a 10 yr old, I find this to be interesting. I admit that I am a bit of a "helicopter parent". In my current neighborhood, I'm more concerned about wildlife than I am humans, but non-the-less I'll never, ever forget the Jessica Ridgeway case: The Jessica Ridgeway case: Timeline, maps | 9news.com

I lived two miles from the girl. Our eldest daughter lived only two houses away from her. My eldest and her husband had their home searched on at least 3 different occasions by police and FBI when the investigation started. Then my son-in-law was required to let them swab him for DNA testing. I know - they were just doing their job...

It was really hard for my daughter and her husband because they used to see Jessica nearly every day playing with the neighbor kids and behaving like a really sweet, normal little girl.

Since our youngest daughter is the same age as Jessica was, we often fear for her safety even though we probably go over-board.

We give her a "little leash", but not much!

To each his own, but as the adult you have to make the decision...

Old 01-17-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
"...We've seldom been safer.....yet a parents are more fearful..."

Wow! As a parent of a 10 yr old, I find this to be interesting. I admit that I am a bit of a "helicopter parent". In my current neighborhood, I'm more concerned about wildlife than I am humans, but non-the-less I'll never, ever forget the Jessica Ridgeway case: The Jessica Ridgeway case: Timeline, maps | 9news.com

I lived two miles from the girl. Our eldest daughter lived only two houses away from her. My eldest and her husband had their home searched on at least 3 different occasions by police and FBI when the investigation started. Then my son-in-law was required to let them swab him for DNA testing. I know - they were just doing their job...

It was really hard for my daughter and her husband because they used to see Jessica nearly every day playing with the neighbor kids and behaving like a really sweet, normal little girl.

Since our youngest daughter is the same age as Jessica was, we often fear for her safety even though we probably go over-board.

We give her a "little leash", but not much!

To each his own, but as the adult you have to make the decision...
I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kids but you have to let them go at some point. Teach them at an early age how to fend for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting