Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
...she would not have been on an equal standing with her brothers in our wills...
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Childhood is the foundation to adulthood and no one should have to support something they don't agree with especially when it comes to school functions . I have never in my life seen more back biting and nastiness as I have in school sponsored functions and like I said the mothers were just as bad as the daughters and yeah there they were suposidly supporting their kids , NO they were pushing their kids to be the best and who cares if they had to be bullies to do it . You will find this is the mindset of most cheer and sports parents .I have never known anyone who said "Oh yeah cheer leading made me what I am today " . Cheerleading certainly did not get you to medical school and so on .
Any extra-curricular activity that requires time management, and hopefully a qualifying GPA for participation, can indeed lead to further success.

We saw far more parental back biting during the Little League years than we did in high school and beyond.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:40 PM

519 posts, read 776,682 times
If it's a cheerleading squad for school sports then yea, those are always fun. It's just a popularity contest anyway, and isn't that what school these days is all about?

If it was for "competitive" cheerleading, then no way. Waste of time and pointless. People will turn anything into a sport and it just ends up becoming a time and money sink.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Really?
Wow. I hadn't bothered to read past her first paragraph. Some people...

Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
If it's a cheerleading squad for school sports then yea, those are always fun. It's just a popularity contest anyway, and isn't that what school these days is all about?

If it was for "competitive" cheerleading, then no way. Waste of time and pointless. People will turn anything into a sport and it just ends up becoming a time and money sink.

wow just did not realize that school is a popularity contest now . although kids are given everything now a days by their parents so they don't have to worry about silly things like grades , respect ,honor , dignity , and most of all honoring their parents . I have never seen a more spoiled generation than the one that is growing up now . Some of them have no work ethic nor do they know the meaning of the word . I think all of this techonology has made future generations worthless .

Old 02-15-2015, 02:09 PM

519 posts, read 776,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
wow just did not realize that school is a popularity contest now .
That was sarcasm.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
We would have allowed it. But we would not have encouraged it. We certainly would not have gone to any games, to "support" her.

Luckily, our daughter was absorbed with lifting weights/self-defense/making money/Temple projects/study groups/preparing to become a Surgeon.

We (and she) very actively had to defend our sons against pressure to become football players. They're big, and developed a lot of muscle really early. So, they were seen as ideal fodder for that filthy sport. Their sister threatened to expose one principal's little secret. I threatened a very specific torture-murder scenario upon a coach who was orchestrating peer pressure against them. And our 'Maid' (ex military) actually had a big knife out, ready to eviscerate another coach who was making trouble. That necessitated some big men paying that coach an immediate second visit, to persuade him to keep quiet. It could have gotten really messy and expensive. Knowing what we know today, we would have home-schooled. Our friends concur. It could have been one of our group projects, like when we raised the kids together, as toddlers.

So, yes: we would have "allowed", and kept our lips zipped. But we would have stopped buying properties for her trust funds, and she would not have been on an equal standing with her brothers in our wills. We would have considered ourselves failures as parents, had she turned out to be like that.
I would imagine that even today, and until you die, your daughter will constantly be reminded that her inheritance will be curtailed if she should dare to express interest in something with which you don't agree.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:18 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I would imagine that even today, and until you die, your daughter will constantly be reminded that her inheritance will be curtailed if she should dare to express interest in something with which you don't agree.
Something tells me for all this one's talk....the only inheritance any of her kids will get is a shoe box of medical bills for treatment of delusions of grandeur.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
I would strongly encourage other team sports. I don't think it sends the right message to girls that they should be on the sidelines supporting instead of being involved in the competition. I did cheerleading growing up mostly because I had friends doing it, but quit after a few years because of how objectified it made me feel. I was a tomboy at heart anyway My 7 year old expressed a brief interest in it; when I asked why, she said she wanted to look pretty like they do. Yikes! Fortunately she's naturally athletic and loves soccer and basketball.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:29 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
We would have allowed it. But we would not have encouraged it. We certainly would not have gone to any games, to "support" her.

Luckily, our daughter was absorbed with lifting weights/self-defense/making money/Temple projects/study groups/preparing to become a Surgeon.

We (and she) very actively had to defend our sons against pressure to become football players. They're big, and developed a lot of muscle really early. So, they were seen as ideal fodder for that filthy sport. Their sister threatened to expose one principal's little secret. I threatened a very specific torture-murder scenario upon a coach who was orchestrating peer pressure against them. And our 'Maid' (ex military) actually had a big knife out, ready to eviscerate another coach who was making trouble. That necessitated some big men paying that coach an immediate second visit, to persuade him to keep quiet. It could have gotten really messy and expensive. Knowing what we know today, we would have home-schooled. Our friends concur. It could have been one of our group projects, like when we raised the kids together, as toddlers.

So, yes: we would have "allowed", and kept our lips zipped. But we would have stopped buying properties for her trust funds, and she would not have been on an equal standing with her brothers in our wills. We would have considered ourselves failures as parents, had she turned out to be like that.
I can't decide if this is satire or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting