Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,210 times

Advertisements

Today I went with my 5 year old son to a wild animal park in our town. We have a family membership and haven't gone since the Fall. We park our van and I step into a sinking pile of mud. My thought is "Oh my God will it be this way the whole time?" My son bounces out of the van and right into the mud with a huge smile on his face rearing to go. We head on our way and there are multiple mud puddles and mud piles that I gingerly try to avoid. My son happily jumps in each mud puddle to wash off the mud he gathered while skipping through the mud piles. We came across a man with a very long grey beard and looking a little unkept. My thought is I hope he's okay and I say a timid "hello" and my son says "hi! We're here to get some fresh air, why are you here?" He answers, "I got a job here and I'm working. Nice to meet you."

Children are interpreting the dance that Jesus did so many years ago. Do not judge others by their clothes and looks and enjoy every moment. I am so full tonight and I thank my little guy who has graced my life for only 5 years, but is so much wiser than myself. Had to share.

By the way, Mom (myself) was known as the "Biz" kid. I told my son I have now passed that baton to him and he didn't understand. I called him the "Tide" kid. I was so the biggest tomboy you'd ever want to meet. My bestfriends were 2 nextdoor neighbor boys and the other was a tomboy girl up the road. We were country and I'm still country. I just forgot about it.

Last edited by Homewardbound66; 01-09-2008 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
It sounds like a fun day, just what a little boy needed! Little boys+mud puddles= FUN!!

I never worried about how dirty mine got when they were little and sometimes I would have to hose them off before I would let them come back in the house but they had FUN!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM

278 posts, read 910,500 times
Kids love being kids and getting old fashioned 'dirty'. Out society spends so much time trying to keep them sanitary...until they miss the whole point. Let them build up a few immunities with dirt and sunshine.

Good for you OP. I love when parents take the time to really let their little guy enjoy a great day!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:15 AM

371 posts, read 2,030,210 times
Thanks for the comments and I have to agree with both of you - a day without mud is a day without sunshine. His jacket has been thrown in the washer 2 days in a row and one of those days he was stripped down to the underwear before coming in the house. Luckily we had some warm sunshine on the deck that day.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Letting my kids play in the dirt was like the biggest secret I ever discovered for happy kids, good naps, long hours of satisfaction and peace for both mom and kids. A lot of the other moms didn't think so, though, they felt it was more important to have neat and tidy and clean kids at the playground.

It got to be a regular thing at the playground, I'd be the one mom letting the boys play in the mud, then all the other kids would soon be gathered around joining in and then their moms would get mad at me for "breaking the rules" they'd had about no playing in the mud! It has always been more important to me to have the kids engaged and happy and exploring.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 AM

894 posts, read 4,350,309 times
oh so true, my son grew up in Florida. If he was clean at the end of the day, he was either sick or had been swimming.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:25 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewardbound66 View Post
Children are interpreting the dance that Jesus did so many years ago. Do not judge others by their clothes and looks and enjoy every moment. I am so full tonight and I thank my little guy who has graced my life for only 5 years, but is so much wiser than myself. Had to share.
That is a wonderful paragraph Homewardbound66!
It humbles me, even on the worst of days, that my 4 year old boy knows no strangers. He just wants to say "HI, what's your name.." & so sincerely!
This is something that we must remember as adults.

Thanks for those thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting