Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We had a pit bull from before any of my children were born until the oldest was 13. He was a house pet who never hurt, nor threatened to hurt, a child or any other human being. If parents requested it, we would put him in the back yard or garage while they were visiting. That was not a problem. But for them to refuse to come to my house because of the breed of my dog (not because they were allergic, or frightened of all dogs--just because he was a pit bull) would have been offensive to me. It implies that we knew we had a vicious, dangerous beast which we were unable to effectively control, and didn't care about the safety of our own family or of visitors. None of which was the case.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
By the way, I'm totally with you on the concern. I would also be concerned if, say, a family had a pool and I knew my child couldn't swim well.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut on these things. I would put the safety of the child ahead of concern over offending the other parents. There's a nice way to put your request and if they can't understand your concerns then maybe they don't have the best judgment.

We have a big mixed breed dog - we're not sure what she's mixed with because we found her on the side of the road where she'd been dumped, but she looks like she may have some boxer or some similar breed in her. She weighs 85 pounds. She is a gentle giant and LOVES kids. Loves loves loves loves loves kids. So it surprised me when my daughter, who had recently moved nearby and didn't know her well, was concerned about the kids being around my dog. My gut instinct was to protest and say, "Oh she would NEVER HURT a kid!" but I got to thinking, "we don't know that." I started thinking about how little kids try to ride dogs, or sit on them, or whatever, and our dog has literally never experienced a bit of pain in her life, the big spoiled lug. So really - we couldn't safely assume she'd be well behaved.

Consequently, we keep a close eye on dogs and kids together, and for months we wouldn't even let the kids play unsupervised around the dog, till we knew without a doubt that they were good together.

It's too big a risk to take lightly.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:58 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
People get offended if you don't like the color orange or you prefer polka dots to stripes. My kid hates dogs. Doesn't matter if it's big, little, pit bull or poodle. If you are offended because we don't want a play date with your pet then get over it. It was your choice to get a dog, not mine.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
By the way, I'm totally with you on the concern. I would also be concerned if, say, a family had a pool and I knew my child couldn't swim well.

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut on these things. I would put the safety of the child ahead of concern over offending the other parents. There's a nice way to put your request and if they can't understand your concerns then maybe they don't have the best judgment.

We have a big mixed breed dog - we're not sure what she's mixed with because we found her on the side of the road where she'd been dumped, but she looks like she may have some boxer or some similar breed in her. She weighs 85 pounds. She is a gentle giant and LOVES kids. Loves loves loves loves loves kids. So it surprised me when my daughter, who had recently moved nearby and didn't know her well, was concerned about the kids being around my dog. My gut instinct was to protest and say, "Oh she would NEVER HURT a kid!" but I got to thinking, "we don't know that." I started thinking about how little kids try to ride dogs, or sit on them, or whatever, and our dog has literally never experienced a bit of pain in her life, the big spoiled lug. So really - we couldn't safely assume she'd be well behaved.

Consequently, we keep a close eye on dogs and kids together, and for months we wouldn't even let the kids play unsupervised around the dog, till we knew without a doubt that they were good together.

It's too big a risk to take lightly.
I completely agree. I'd be just as apprehensive if it was a Chihuahua, too! I don't subscribe to "it's the owner, not the breed" because in the end,they're just animals who do what comes naturally to them. What happened was I had allowed my children over there before. THEN I found out about the pit bull and that the kids had played in the yard with him. My kids were thrilled about it. So, when the mom called and asked about another play date, I told her I was uncomfortable with my children playing so closely with a strange dog, and that I should've inquired sooner if she had animals. I think because I was so friendly with her I just plain neglected to. My fault, 100%. She never even offered to put away the dog. This dog was another child. So I suggested we go out to play, etc, but she got upset. I felt terrible, it was an awkward situation. But I'd rather feel terrible and have her mad at me than take the chance.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
I think you need to look into dog bite stats. My dashounds are more likely to bite/attack than a pit.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:10 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I completely agree. I'd be just as apprehensive if it was a Chihuahua, too! I don't subscribe to "it's the owner, not the breed" because in the end,they're just animals who do what comes naturally to them. What happened was I had allowed my children over there before. THEN I found out about the pit bull and that the kids had played in the yard with him. My kids were thrilled about it. So, when the mom called and asked about another play date, I told her I was uncomfortable with my children playing so closely with a strange dog, and that I should've inquired sooner if she had animals. I think because I was so friendly with her I just plain neglected to. My fault, 100%. She never even offered to put away the dog. This dog was another child. So I suggested we go out to play, etc, but she got upset. I felt terrible, it was an awkward situation. But I'd rather feel terrible and have her mad at me than take the chance.
would you have been so apprehensive if the dog was a lab or golden retriever or beagle?? or is it the name "pit bull" that strikes such terror in your heart??

Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
would you have been so apprehensive if the dog was a lab or golden retriever or beagle?? or is it the name "pit bull" that strikes such terror in your heart??
Was that a rhetorical question for you?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I think you need to look into dog bite stats. My dashounds are more likely to bite/attack than a pit.
I'd rather not get into stats. Because then the argument could be made that pit bulls are in top five of most lethal bites. But, like I said, I'd have been just as hesitant with a Chihuahua.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:18 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I'd rather not get into stats. Because then the argument could be made that pit bulls are in top five of most lethal bites. But, like I said, I'd have been just as hesitant with a Chihuahua.
I'm going to guess I'm in the minorty, at least of those who will admit it, but I never even asked about dogs.

Also seeing as how your child had already played over and survived I can understand how the mom would have been upset. A better approach would have been to allow your child to play over with instructions, to the child, that s/he was not to play with the dog.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm going to guess I'm in the minorty, at least of those who will admit it, but I never even asked about dogs.

Also seeing as how your child had already played over and survived I can understand how the mom would have been upset. A better approach would have been to allow your child to play over with instructions, to the child, that s/he was not to play with the dog.
Thx. I definitely dropped the ball by neglecting to ask. I don't see how giving my child instructions would have prevented the dog from possibly biting her though. I also don't understand how people who knowingly get a particular breed, that is known to have the most lethal bite, get upset that others aren't on board with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting