Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just bc a particular method worked doesn't mean anything. It doesn't even mean it addressed the cause.

All at once you are saying people can't help it and that they can help it.

Nonsensical.

Drunks don't do normal but they are ALWAYS full of excuses. I have worked with them for almost 20 years.
I just want to get my little two cents in here. AA does matter because those who chose that route and it worked for them, that's how many drunks are now "recovering alcoholics" and no longer endangering people's lives. In my brother's case, it did help him to address the cause. You can't make a blanket statement about the people who chose to turn their lives around.

My ex is a drunk and has used excuses all of his life. He used the fact that his mother abandoned him when he was five for everything. When we divorced, he refused to let my boys come live with me because of what his mother did to him and told our sons that I abandoned them, which I most certainly did not. Two years later he disowned them for the next 7 years. Now he fits into your category.

The fact that his dad and his brothers are all drunks scared the crap out of me because I was afraid that my sons would have that gene where they are more inclined to have an addictive personality.

I had a glass of wine at Thanksgiving and I bet that's the first time I've had a drink in 3 years. My ex's abuse of it made me hate it.

I like you stan from another forum we're on, but I do have to say we can agree to disagree on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:00 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Sorry about your brother, but I don't feel people should talk about all drugs while refusing to learn how they are different. Cannabis ("marijuana") has a 0% death rate. It has 249 known medical. It can help alcoholics become moderate drinkers & can help people quit tobacco. Bad? It is less intoxicating than alcohol, but costs more & is illegal. So people are not using it as the cheapest intoxicant. High could mean elevated mood, which is what some depressed people need to avoid suicide. Pills called anti-depressants cause suicides, homicides & other violence. Based on unproven theory for half a century. Best wishes.
If a kid drives a car high, I'm positive his chances are greater for getting into an accident, as with alcohol.

The topic of discussion is dispelling the stereotypes of drugs and youth. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to make people more aware of why their kids take drugs and why an adult who drinks alcohol thinks they have the right to bash a kid.

You do have a valid topic for a new discussion.

I'm trying to open parents eyes and hopefully they'll learn from my mistakes. I'm trying to make the point that an adult drunk has no right to bash a kid for doing legal or legal drugs and alcohol because a kids brain isn't completely grown until they're age 25. An adult has a fully grown brain and is able to make responsible decisions.

Thank you for your input to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting