Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 PM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying that I am VERY pro-vax. However, as much as I loved reading Kristen Bell's new op-Ed in Huffington Post, it made me wonder if anyone will actually be swayed by this type of article. Do you feel celebrities should be giving parenting advice? I feel as though people should be persuaded by their pediatrician, family medicine doctor, or the smart scientists over at the CDC- not a pretty face in Hollywood. Idk. Maybe I am over-analyzing. It just seemed very "Jenny McCarthy" to me. It's not okay to get your medical advice from a pretty blonde when she is anti-vax but it's okay if she is pro-vax? Seems like a double standard. I wish celebrities would just defer these types of conversations to medical professionals.

What ate your thoughts?

For those who haven't read it, here is a link to the article
Facts Are Your Friends -- Vaccinate Your Children*|*Kristen Bell

My 2 cents:
I could relate to much of what was written in this piece (especially when I was a first time mom), and I appreciate her style of writing. I do think those that are already pro-vax will enjoy it. However if someone is on the fence then I don't think this would sway them.

Btw I initially posted this by accident in the adoption section of this forum-whoops! Any idea how to delete that post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
In general, I don't listen to celeb moms. Reason being, they don't live my life. They can afford a organic whole foods crunchy cook, nanny, serogant breast feeder (seriously), body guard, top schools, lessons, drivers, top doctors and doulas....etc. it's like looking to Oprah for weight loss secrets. When she got skinny she had a nutritionist, chef and daily trainer.

But I read this article and I appreciated it. Well partly because I am pro-vax...but I liked she was honest about it being a stressful and scary time being a new mom. I could relate to that. So I read it as just a moms first hand story. I guess it also helps I have no clue who she is. :-)

Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 PM

797 posts, read 1,750,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
In general, I don't listen to celeb moms. Reason being, they don't live my life. They can afford a organic whole foods crunchy cook, nanny, serogant breast feeder (seriously), body guard, top schools, lessons, drivers, top doctors and doulas....etc. it's like looking to Oprah for weight loss secrets. When she got skinny she had a nutritionist, chef and daily trainer.

But I read this article and I appreciated it. Well partly because I am pro-vax...but I liked she was honest about it being a stressful and scary time being a new mom. I could relate to that. So I read it as just a moms first hand story. I guess it also helps I have no clue who she is. :-)
A surrogate breastfeeder?! Wow. I knew that back in the day they had wet nurses but I assumed that was a thing of the past.

And I completely agree with you about celebs and how ridiculous their unattainable lives are, and it makes me peeved that they can gain so much fame from selling parenting advice (though as far as I know HuffPost is free, these types of viral articles can help cement celeb status).

She did the voice of Anna in Frozen

Old 04-18-2015, 08:54 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post

She did the voice of Anna in Frozen
Do you want to build a snowman?

Lol I have a 8 year old girl :-)

Old 04-18-2015, 08:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Freedom of speech is good and I believe they should be able to say anything they want. However I will start listening to them when they get a medical degree.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Well considering a B list celebrity gave a real voice of the anti-vaccination crowd, it's refreshing to have a another celebrity speak out for science and facts.

And like others have said....just because somebody gets a little bit of fame doesn't mean they lose their right to speak out on issues. It's up to every one else to decide if they are credible enough to listen to.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:43 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Freedom of speech is good and I believe they should be able to say anything they want. However I will start listening to them when they get a medical degree.
My thoughts exactly. If I want to learn something, I will chose as my teacher someone who is knowledgeable about the subject. If I want to learn about acting, I will seek out an actor for advice and information. If I want to learn about vaccination, I will go to a doctor or a scientist.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:46 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Anyone can give advice to anyone it is the choice of the one being given the advice to make their own decision about what is right for their own lives and their own children. No matter what anyone, including celebrities say about it.

The last time I checked there is no celebrity that knows me or my children personally so basically their opinion of how I should live my life and what I should do with my children means absolutely nothing to me.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
The article is great! The information is correct. Ms. Bell ( or her ghostwriter) probably knows as much about vaccines as many science writers do.

No one should take health care advice from a celebrit without fact-checking it with their personal care provider.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Most celebrities are nitwits who know less about things than the rest of us. Why would anybody listen to their "advice?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting