Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:25 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

Boy, did I handle it differently. I'm mother of two young women (ages 29 and 23), and when they got their first periods, it was something to celebrate. Special afternoon out, shopping, took youngest to dinner as I remember...It's a major milestone meaning you are growing up, you're now a woman.

I didn't "talk about that kind of stuff" with my mother. She made me feel like I should be ashamed of it. Okay, maybe I went a little bit overboard with my daughters, but it didn't do any harm.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-20-2015 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I grew up in the 60's and it really wasn't anything that a girl was embarrassed about. I told mom right away. I was almost 12 years old and it started in the summer. I am past menopause and I sure am glad it is finally over! Starting is exciting and stopping for good, more than exciting!

My mother was 5 years old when her mother died. She had an older sister but no one told my mom "this" would happen. Now, that turned unfortunate.

I am really surprised that girls don't tell their mothers. I guess I am thinking more from a medical standpoint. My mom was not my best friend by a long shot.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I told my mom immediately, and my daughter told me immediately. In both cases, we had talked about what to expect and how to handle it for at least a year prior to menarche. I grew up in a health care family. Our dinner table conversation was always a little more explicit than most of my peers.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
I surely did not tell my mother for a few months because she had sent a lil playmate home one day when she asked me if I had a tampon . I did not know at the time what that was so I went to ask my mother and she asked me where I heard that ? I said the lil playmates name and my mother told me to send her in the kitchen where my mom was and she said for me to go back into my bedroom . Well when I came out of my bedroom I asked where nina was and my mom told me she had sent her home for being a fast girl . She did not want me around fast girls . Not knowing what that meant my mother told me that girls who wear tampons are having sex and their mothers were too stupid to know .I saw Nina the next day in school and she did not even look my way or wave or anything . I asked her one day what was wrong and she told me that my mother had called her mother and told her that she did not approve of her being a playmate of mine since Nina was obviously privy to sexual things more than I was . I don't know where that generation got that misinformation from regarding tampons but hey at least my daughter knew differently .

Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian4488 View Post
I am not a parent so I might be very off but my friend was telling me the problems she is having now that her daughter is almost a teenager. Lying, mouthing off etc....I asked if she had gotten her period yet and she said she thinks she might have but isn't sure. She thought she "saw something" she said. Wouldn't you be giving your daughter pads? Wouldn't you go to your mom to tell her when it started?

Why don't you mind your own business? Every post you make is all about you getting bajiggity about someone else's life.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:23 AM

625 posts, read 624,134 times
Default telling mom

Quote:
I am not a parent so I might be very off but my friend was telling me the problems she is having now that her daughter is almost a teenager. Lying, mouthing off etc....I asked if she had gotten her period yet and she said she thinks she might have but isn't sure. She thought she "saw something" she said. Wouldn't you be giving your daughter pads? Wouldn't you go to your mom to tell her when it started?
Not necessarily. Depends on your mom (if you have one). Depends on your home environment. If a teen feels safe and loved, yes, she probably would go to Mom. If not, she'd handle it herself, go to friends. Just like sex, birth control, STDs, boyfriends, even pregnancy.

These things were NEVER discussed in my home growing up. I handled it (all) myself. I had an older sister and friends. My mother never asked. NEVER. She obviously knew at a certain point, but it was still never discussed. That's an issue of not feeling safe and not having an open environment. The only time my mother ever discussed anything even remotely related was literally on my wedding day. She asked if I needed to know anything. She was MANY years too late.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 AM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Default I always know when they start searching for chocolate

Also when they start fighting amongst themselves. Advice is to keep chocolate hidden in the house at all times!
Calms them down immediately almost like a tranquilizer! Oh yeah and Motrin in the purple box,

Last edited by SailCT; 04-20-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Also when they start fighting amongst themselves. Advice is to keep chocolate hidden in the house at all times!
Calms them down immediately almost like a tranquilizer! Oh yeah and Motrin in the purple box,
OMG my sister who is the mother of four teen girls swears by this as well LOL ....

Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Quote:
My daughter and I had convos about it for over a year (maybe even 2 years) before she got her first one, and she called me at work the moment she got home from school that day to tell me that it started. She was VERY excited.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that in a few months she'd grow to hate that time of the month AND that she'd possibly have to suffer the ignominy of it for the next 45+ years!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
bajiggity .
I will use that word! I like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting