Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:40 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
AURORA, Colo. -- A note, sent home with a preschooler, scolded her mother for packing Oreo cookies in her daughter's lunch, according to ABC affiliate KMGH-TV.

Last Friday, a teacher at Children's Academy in Aurora didn't find 4-year-old Natalee Pearson's lunch to be entirely healthy.

Colorado mom chastised by pre-school for packing Oreos in daughter's lunch | abc7.com

how is this f'n news

if you don't like your daycare policy, switch daycare. . .maybe - just maybe - the daycare has the right idea obviously you have had one to many Oreos lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I agree when the schools start telling us what we can pack in our kids lunch then that is communism

stop right there, on so many levels - God I hope you don't have kids

1) Communism is a form of government where industry is owned by govt (people) not private.

2) In the united states all schools, by its nature, are "communist" as they are industry owned by government EXCEPT the private schools (like the ones in the article)

3) School policies about dress codes, food codes, recess time are school policies. its like a work policy that says don't put salmon in the microwave. its not communism. its purely a policy of that school for those who want to attend there

4) as with any school (public or private) if you dont' like the policy, switch.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
There is a good reason why schools are "getting involved" in kids meals. It's called an obesity crisis in children.

The school my son went to in kinder had no rules. Kids would have a soda, Cheetos, cold pizza and a candy bar packs. No joke. Lots of kids! Those thing affect behavior and learning, as well as cause obesity. So they started cracking down. Good for them.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Im kinda curious - I know Oreos are a no go at the school , but every news story I've read said that she put a "package" of cookies in the lunch. I very rarely buy packaged cookies but if I do include a cookie in my daughters lunch , it's like one cookie. I'm just wondering how many cookies were in the package she sent? I'm guessing at least four? Do they make a two cookie pack?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That 100% fruit juice has things in it worse than the Oreo cookie. I seriously doubt this was the teacher's idea. Most teachers are smarter than that.

Fruits should never come from juice. Eat an apple, not apple juice. Have you not seen what is in these juices on Dr. Oz. Nobody should be drinking fruit juices.
Your posts were questionable with your other rants, but this one seals the deal. You actually listen to that quack? LMBFAO

Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It needs to be screamed about. Schools have uniforms because it might hurt someone's feelings if your dress is prettier than their dress. Now you have to bring an approved lunch. Let the teacher take a break at lunch. What are we raising? Little communist robots who all do the same thing at the same time and all decisions are made for them?

How can a child learn to be an individual when they have to do everything just like everybody else? That's oppressive!
The school involved is "officially" private, but like most such schools, it does haver to answer to an abundance of state reguations. So, as in much of contemporary industry, we have the contradiction of a supposedly private, diversity-friendly instituion imposing a lot of arbitrary decsions and micromangement, all in the name of "We know what's better for all of you, (but sometimes not for us).

Go Figure??

Old 05-01-2015, 01:46 PM

36 posts, read 36,653 times
This frequently happens in private schools.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoriemorley View Post
This frequently happens in private schools.
I think it happens more. My one friend has kids that go to private school...and love the education but the lunch ladies send home notes anytime they don't recognize something in the kids lunch....once arguing that bell pepper slices were not vegatables.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:44 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
That's ridiculous. Micromanaging what parent's put in their child's lunchbox?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
The school's argument loses all credibility when it says that if a student has potatoes, the student also has to have bread. The people who made this up obviously have no idea what they're talking about in regards to nutrition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting