Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:28 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times

Advertisements

You should have gone to the amusement park lost and found and said you found money (not the amount). You could have left a contact number for the person who lost it, to call you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I wouldn't have made them turn it in. Park workers make minimum wage and most of them are teenagers. How are you going to hand $100 to a teenager and say "someone lost this and I want to turn it in". ABSURD!!! It would go from your hand to the kid's pocket. No doubt about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I find it sad that you think that the park workers are all dishonest. Perhaps that is a reflection of your own dishonesty.

I have had teenagers and young college age kids return money or my wallet and not even ask for a reward. Most of the young people despite making only minimum wage are honest and likely to turn over the money to a person who claims it. They may get the money if no one comes looking for it, but it is really bothersome that you disparage their characters this way.
I agree.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree.
How can you agree with both? They contradict each other.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

Every on duty Police officer in Canada carries a property receipt book in their pocket, or in their patrol car. It is standard procedure to turn over "found property " to either the closest Police officer, or to the front desk at the nearest Police station. In either case it is being given to a person who is required by law to keep it safe and lodge it in the found property locker. That to me is the meaning of "safe keeping ".

The Police in Canada will make a effort to locate the owner of the property, by any means, including advertising it to the public, if the item is of great value.

Jim B.
Too bad this didn't happen in Canada. **shrug**

Quote:

There really is a difference between my country and yours. I think it comes down to a matter of trust, or a lack of it.

Jim B.
Really? What, are you trying to start an international incident?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spsamp View Post
I am a divorced father of 3 kids. A 17 year old boy with Autism, and two typical daughters, ages 15 and 11.

Today, we went to the amusement park, just the four of us.

My 11 year old daughter found $100 left behind on a ride at the amusement park. Returning the money to the lost and found would most likely result in a park employee pocketing the money, so I decided it was best to keep it. Of course, it would've been returned to the owner if there was a feasible was to locate them. In a large park, that's nearly impossible.

Anyway, my 2 daughters wanted to split the money amongst the two of them and go shopping with it. I suggested we use $40 for dinner for all of us on the way home, then split the remaining $60 between all 3 kids.

Neither of my daughter's were happy with this arrangement, arguing they found the money, therefore they should decide what to do with it. I then said, if they choose to be entirely selfish and entitled, the best thing to do is pay it forward to someone else.

Just that morning, a family of 4 young boys just buried their father who died from cancer. This man was my sons Boy Scout troop leader. He was a wonderful human being who treated my son as his own. His family asked for donations on behalf of their sons. Perfect charity I thought.

Needless to say, my daughter's are not happy, especially when I pointed out that this was found money, and none of us were entitled to it. While I understand their excitement, then disappointment, I was more hurt by their display of complete selfishness.

Outside of this incident, they are all loving, wonderful children.

So what would you have done?
Turned it in right away and not worry if someone from the park would keep it. At least you would have done the right thing right away and not have all this crazy squabbling.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:58 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
I have read this ENTIRE thread, and no one even mentioned what would be the common response in Canada...........Call the Police, and turn it in, and get a property receipt from the officer who you gave it to. After 60 days, if not claimed, it is yours to keep.

How hard is that ? But not one poster here said it ?

There really is a difference between my country and yours. I think it comes down to a matter of trust, or a lack of it.

Jim B.
All these large parks have security police. A friend used to work part time. Would have turned it into them, not just a random employee.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Hmmmmmm that IS hard isnt it??

Your sadly right I think. Returning CASH to lost and found would probably end up with the $$$ being taken in todays mean world..........

You should go to the lost and found office and ASK IF ANYONE WAS LOOKING FOR ANYTHING THE LAST FEW DAYS ... If they say one was $$$$$ LOST,you might have a chance of finding the individual

I know this is a hard choice and I know IF IT WAS ME,I would hope someone would return the $$$$$ but the way the world is now,I would understand why they didnt!!

God bless you and its good having you here @ City-data my friend
One thought would be to post a notice on Facebook (if the park had a site) and City-Data in the locale where the park was located asking if anyone lost "some property or money." If someone responds with the right amount the correct action is obvious.

Quote:
I am a divorced father of 3 kids. A 17 year old boy with Autism, and two typical daughters, ages 15 and 11.

Just that morning, a family of 4 young boys just buried their father who died from cancer. This man was my sons Boy Scout troop leader. He was a wonderful human being who treated my son as his own. His family asked for donations on behalf of their sons. Perfect charity I thought.

Needless to say, my daughter's are not happy, especially when I pointed out that this was found money, and none of us were entitled to it. While I understand their excitement, then disappointment, I was more hurt by their display of complete selfishness.

Outside of this incident, they are all loving, wonderful children.

As a parent I think you taught them valuable lessons. Thus I agree with what you did, as a teachable moment.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:

Can't say that I'd know how I'd handle it but I'm sure not as well as you did.

I think you handled it almost perfectly, and it's beautiful that you had that opportunity to pay it forward like you did. And I think most children have selfish sides to them, anyway - lessons like these are what they learn on their way to becoming adults.

However, I do hope that you explained to them why you didn't turn the money in, because they could have argued that it wasn't yours to give to charity, either. But I still think you did a good thing.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:15 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Finding property belonging to others and keeping it. THAT is good parenting? In what universe? Not one in which I want to live. I think the father behaved like a common criminal. It would have been bad enough if he did it alone. But instead he's effectively formed his own little syndicate of thieves by poor role modeling. Horrible example. Unless he's forming a new kind of family where he will be capo di tutti cappi. In which case he should take them out next week to the local mall for some shoplifting lessons.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Mattie.

Every on duty Police officer in Canada carries a property receipt book in their pocket, or in their patrol car. It is standard procedure to turn over "found property " to either the closest Police officer, or to the front desk at the nearest Police station. In either case it is being given to a person who is required by law to keep it safe and lodge it in the found property locker. That to me is the meaning of "safe keeping ".

The Police in Canada will make a effort to locate the owner of the property, by any means, including advertising it to the public, if the item is of great value. One example was a Stanley Cup winning player's ring, worth about $15,000, that was lost at a summer cottage beach. It was found 4 years later, and the finder turned it in to the local Police, who contacted the retired NHL player. He gave the finder a cash reward of $1,000. His name was engraved on it, on the inside.

Jim B.
Well that happens here too with regular John Q Citizen...do you know how many postings on Facebook I have seen that someone found a ring, medal, sentimental item with initials or a whole name and they are spreading the word? TRYING TO RETURN it? Too many to count....and it usually works...So, we aren't as a country full of dishonest people.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting