Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think same sex schools are a beneficial learning environment for children?
Yes 7 38.89%
NO 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:00 AM

40 posts, read 44,386 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on single sex schools being a better learning environment for children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:05 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Its abnormal in my opinion. Diversity is what were all striving for in this Nation, why would someone attempt to do the exact opposite??

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Single-sex High School here, Coed College.

I don't think it really made a difference. Instead of being distracted by girls, we were just distracted by other stuff (sports, cars, chit chat, etc).

I remember getting into college and thinking "Finally, some normality having the other sex around"

Old 05-18-2015, 11:38 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,083 times
It's not something I would choose unless my child was in a situation that needed extreme monitoring. My mom's friend's daughter had sex at a VERY young age and started experimenting with prescription drugs. She removed her from public school and put her in a private girl's school. It didn't fix the problem, but it did help a lot, because she wasn't around boys at school all day. So, I see their purpose, but I would rather my kid's experience coed relationships (friendships and dating) through middle school and high school than be segregated by gender.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times
I think it has its place. As far as elementary school is concerned I don't see the need but once hormones kick in it could be very helpful for some students. And not just "wild" kids but kids who don't do well with distractions or kids who really want to study and focus. We all know right up till high school the highest achievers are usually girls then something happens, they defer to the boys, don't want to be considered "too smart" and the boys take over. Not always of course but teachers will tell you they see it way too often.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:08 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
It depends on both the school and the child. I went to two all girls schools, loved one and hated the other. I have many friends from all boys schools who loved the experience and a few who didn't. I wouldn't evaluate a school on whether its single gender or not but whether I felt my child would thrive there.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:11 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think it has its place. As far as elementary school is concerned I don't see the need but once hormones kick in it could be very helpful for some students. And not just "wild" kids but kids who don't do well with distractions or kids who really want to study and focus. We all know right up till high school the highest achievers are usually girls then something happens, they defer to the boys, don't want to be considered "too smart" and the boys take over. Not always of course but teachers will tell you they see it way too often.
I think it works the other way too. Boys who are rowdy and interested in "boy stuff" can be labeled troublemakers in typical schools. Sometimes single gender schools with more male teachers are a better fit for them. Again depends on the kid and the school.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 PM

40 posts, read 44,386 times
These are all pretty good responses. I preferably would not place my child in a same sex school because I do think that it holds them back socially. Boys and girls need to be able to freely interact with each other. However, it can be helpful for some students especially those who are easily distracted. Thanks for all the feed back!

Old 05-18-2015, 05:18 PM

493 posts, read 511,789 times
I went to and all girls school it was okay. I mean the all boys school was across the street so if you were trying to keep your daughter away from boys that didn't work to well. But I must say I put a bit less in my appearance than most of friends at co-ed schools. But the girls were still cliquey and there were the mean ones and the nice ones. However, I honestly really loved my school.

I like it for boys more because they can often be placed in special ed. For not being able to sit. Or being rowdy. As far as hormones go again we were right across the street.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,204 times
20 years ago or so, there was a big push for single sex schools or just single sex classes within co-ed schools. They thought it would give girls more of an opportunity to be leaders, not be intimidated by boys, etc. I think since then, more families have just figured out that girls are as smart as boys and just raise them to do better. Leadership cannot be forced, some kids are leaders, some are not. Just raise your children so they are confident, let them start making choices from a young age, what to wear, what to eat, etc. so they can learn to trust themselves and when the BIG choices come into play, saying no isn't new to them.

In our experience, the girls tend to be the ones that lead the organizations and whatnot anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting