Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,576,964 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to school starting September. She will be 3 and half years old. I feel more nervous then her! I attended the induction and the school seems OK. This will be a public school where there are going to be 30 children for every 2 teachers. They have their own rooms where the activities and learning are play-based (similar to Montessori set up I think).

Here is what we have accomplished so far and I want to know what I can still work on to make the transition from a home based daycare to a school easy for my little girl.

Things she already can do:
1. Potty trained completely. I am working on wiping herself after poo. She can pull/put her pants, flush wash.
2. Can eat independently as long as its not soup.
3. Can zip down her jackets.
4. Can wear her socks and shoes independently.

Things to work on:

1. The school didnt have a potty ring. They are expecting her to use the toilet without the potty ring. She is terrified that she will fall down in it.
2. She is having trouble opening and closing her lunch/snack boxes. I have to buy more to see which one's she is comfortable with.
3. Working on teaching her how to zip up the jackets and do the buttons.

I am so nervous with this change. Also, I am to send two different lunch/snack items for school for her to eat during recess. She has to finish in 20 minutes itseems. Right now she takes more than 30 minutes and sometimes 40 minutes.

What else can I do to help her transition? Please help us out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:23 AM

96 posts, read 136,310 times
I was nervous, too, but she will do just fine.

The teachers will be used to children needing some extra help with coats, lunch boxes, etc. I'd continue to work on these, but don't pressure her or worry about it much. I wouldn't go out and buy new lunch containers now. She has a few months to grow and she may well be able to open those containers by September. If not, address it if the teachers say it's a problem. They'll let you know.

She will get used to the new toilets (out of necessity, if nothing else). Her fears may be allayed by seeing that her classmates are using it and not falling in. In the meantime, take her to public restrooms from time to time when you're out, so she gets used to using the bathroom away from home and without her special seat. If she is too scared, don't push. My son is younger but has the same fear.

If you know any other families sending their kids to the school, try to arrange a few play dates before September. It'll help your daughter feel comfortable if she already has a buddy or two who will be in her preschool class.

You may find that she eats less at school because of the time limits and because she's too busy talking to her friends Both my kids are like that. I try to give them a bigger breakfast at home, and a good size snack after preschool. I also try to keep their lunches and snacks nutritious, but also full of some of their favorite foods (e.g., carrots and bell peppers are my daughter's favorite veggies, so she gets those in her lunchbox almost every day).

Good luck! My daughter is starting kindergarten in the fall, and I know I'll be nervous about that, too.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,764,728 times
See if you can find out what time(s) they eat, and when they nap. Then see if you can get on that schedule at home beforehand. If she gets her body used to eating and sleeping on their schedule, that should help her quite a bit.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:45 AM

483 posts, read 656,642 times
She will be fine. I teach this age(3-6 depending on what classroom I assist in). Don't let her see you nervous, if she gets there and jumps right into play just let her go and wave bye.
Even if she does get upset, trust me, her teachers will know how to distract her, I never had a child be more upset for more then a few minutes, but you have to trust that her teachers will get her settled.

The school toilets are probably slightly smaller, even if they don't look it, and yes. After she sees everyone going and having no trouble she won't be so nervous. Just make sure to mention that fear to her teachers(not a big long convo, just a heads up) They will be able to talk to her about why she is nervous(falling in) and assure her that she won't, and let her watch others because she needs to go.

As far as lunch goes, be prepared for her to maybe not finish. We had some kids who always finished within the 25mins we have, and some that never finish. No matter how many times you tell them to "eat not talk" they will still talk, or look around etc. Don't worry, it happens.
Make sure to make a list of her favorite foods that she loves to eat but are healthy and filling. We had one child who never finished his lunch, until his mom gave in and packed him: a cheese sandwich on wheat bread, sliced turkey, strawberries and carrots everyday. They were pretty much his favorite foods and he finished in under 25mins every lunch after that.

At 3 I wouldn't expect her to be able to zip her jacket. We always encourage that age to try(and very rarely one would get it, but not consistantly) but then we'd just go down the line and zip up. Its easier then having to fix a stuck zipper from a one who yanked it half way up lol
Help her learn to at least get the ends lined up, so then the teacher just needs to pull up, instead of the fitting the ends. I'm sure they would appreciate that with 30ish kiddos.

Teachers will be there to help open containers. Make sure she can open them WITHOUT spilling the food. I had many lunches on the floor because of that. Just because she can open by puling hard doesn't mean she should.
I saw that the containers that are the one big rectangle with compartments and the little snap-clasp lids worked the best. They could set it on the table and un-snaped each side one at the time. No spills.
I always helped open thermoses, even with the oldest kids. The heat from the food makes the lids really tough to get open.

Other than that just make sure she gets enough sleep, send her in comfy clothes! and help her be excited each morning for her day. We also practice play-based learning at my school and its a blast.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
I think the number one thing you need to do is stop being nervous. She will pick up on that. All these other things she will pick up from her peers or teachers. Its amazing what they learn in a group from each other (which isn't as great later in elementary school sometimes LOL).

Trust the teachers that if she struggles with her food container, she won't starve. If she struggles with her jacket, she wont freeze. And if the potty looks scary, well she will see lots of kids manage it and she will realize she wont fall in.

Step back, deep breath. She will be fine

Old 05-21-2015, 08:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,379,950 times
It's natural to be nervous for her, but it's important to be positive about the change in routine or she will be nervous also.

I'm guessing she'll be fine with all of the things she "needs" to learn before preschool. Kids learn and develop so much in such a short amount of time at her age. I'm sure you know this.

One suggestion for the potty. Perhaps while the two of you are out running errands or whatever make it a point to stop in public restrooms. They certainly don't have potty rings, and she can practice away from home. You might even try to give her a lot to drink before hand so she "has" to go. I do sympathize with you on this. My daughter was terrified of public toilets due to an unexpected auto-flush scare one time during potty training.

There are also lunch bags with velcro. Have you tried these? Most kids can do velcro straps, etc.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:11 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,576,964 times
Thanks sgw99, pkbab5, kaelti, hihflyingbird, rrah.

Appreciate your time and suggestions. I will make sure I don’t display my nervousness in front of her. There is going to be more than one change for he as I am due to deliver my second baby in August and in September she joins school.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think the number one thing you need to do is stop being nervous. She will pick up on that. All these other things she will pick up from her peers or teachers. Its amazing what they learn in a group from each other (which isn't as great later in elementary school sometimes LOL).

Trust the teachers that if she struggles with her food container, she won't starve. If she struggles with her jacket, she wont freeze. And if the potty looks scary, well she will see lots of kids manage it and she will realize she wont fall in.

Step back, deep breath. She will be fine
I agree with everything.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,957,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Thanks sgw99, pkbab5, kaelti, hihflyingbird, rrah.

Appreciate your time and suggestions. I will make sure I don’t display my nervousness in front of her. There is going to be more than one change for he as I am due to deliver my second baby in August and in September she joins school.
Be prepared for possible regression due to the new baby as well as going to school. She will probably love school, but she may feel pressured given that you will have a new baby.

Note - get this book and read it with her.

What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home by Heidi Murkoff
What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home (What to Expect Kids): Heidi Murkoff, Laura Rader: 9780694013272: Amazon.com: Books

There are some other good ones that you may already have thought of
I'm a Big Sister by Joanna Cole is popular.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Be prepared for possible regression due to the new baby as well as going to school. She will probably love school, but she may feel pressured given that you will have a new baby.

Note - get this book and read it with her.

What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home by Heidi Murkoff
What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home (What to Expect Kids): Heidi Murkoff, Laura Rader: 9780694013272: Amazon.com: Books

There are some other good ones that you may already have thought of
I'm a Big Sister by Joanna Cole is popular.
Luckily,most preschool teachers I have known are very well versed on kids with new siblings and the changes nana mentioned. Many kids start preschool right before or after a sibling comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting