Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 06:21 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,019,355 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/my-m...030728498.html

By Christine Schoenwald

My mother hates Mother’s Day.

I try to see it as a blessing that Mother’s Day is the one day a year where having a parent who doesn’t want to be a parent really pays off. I won’t be sending my mother any Mother’s Day cards or flowers; I won’t be expressing my love or gratitude for her giving me life in any of those standard ways at this time. Read more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,811,739 times
Well, that is really sad. Not everyone is meant or wants to be a parent and that's okay, but if you choose to bring a child into the world and raise it, you have to put your whole self into it, even if you don't want to. Children are innocent and do not choose their parents, so they shouldn't be punished for your decision. It's a shame stuff like this happens too often.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM

152 posts, read 174,370 times
I read this article earlier today online and found it to be extremely sad. I have two little ones and they are my world. I cannot get enough of them. I cannot fathom to not say kind and loving words to them. They sat on lap last night and we were looking at old uploaded pictures of them on the computer from when they were ages 2 and 4, that was almost 5 years ago. Looking back at those pictures I knew that I had the whole world in the palm of my hand, I was a stay-at-home mom to these kids, it was such a unique time, they were so stinking cute in those pictures! I'm not saying I am perfect because I am loving with my kids, but once again cannot fathom being cold to them and not interested in their lives.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,679,315 times
I'm not sure why a rant about a problem specific to the writer qualifies as an article suitable for general consumption these days. What does this article really say about mothers or even parenting?

Old 06-03-2015, 05:03 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm not sure why a rant about a problem specific to the writer qualifies as an article suitable for general consumption these days. What does this article really say about mothers or even parenting?
I don't know but to me it says I am not alone. Others out there live with this. I mean it made me cry, a lot, but in a weird way it's comforting.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,012,352 times
Sad article, and I'm sad mothers like that exist.

But FWIW I'm not a fan of Mother's Day or Father's Day (not yet a mother, though). I don't like the idea of a made up holiday in which we are forced to appreciate our parents. We are expected to buy them gifts or take them out and give them mass-produced cards with sentimental but un-personal messages in them that thousands or even millions of others have bought for their own parents, as well - meaning multiple parents across the country have received the same "you are special, I love you" Hallmark card. I think we should appreciate our parents and families every day or at least many days a year and there shouldn't be a designated, forced day for it. This is why I dislike Mother's Day and Father's Day. I guess they're good "holidays" for the forgetful or selfish children who may or may not live far away from their parents and don't interact with them much (which is still a choice - a phone call or email or text is not that hard) but still - it should be something we should think of on our own. We shouldn't need a designated day to stop and think and say, "hey - thanks mom (or dad) for being you. Here's a card (or insert any other MD of FD gift)." Just my opinion, I hope people can understand what I mean.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 AM

649 posts, read 571,546 times
This article reminds me of my own mother. When I was a child my mom took care of my basic needs but she was never very loving. I can't remember ever getting a hug or a kiss from her.

She's never been interested in my life. She didn't check my report cards or attend any of my school events. I was in chorus and she never went to any of my concerts. She even left my college graduation before I accepted my diploma because she was bored and It was taking to long (her words.)

I never want my own children to feel unloved so I make sure that they get lots of love and attention. My mom has zero interest in my children and it makes me sad but that's her loss.

My mom is not a bad person, she just doesn't have the mothering gene. I've learned to accept that she is who she is but it still hurts. I'll save the rest for my therapist.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,834,776 times
My mother is a narcissist, so I can relate. I haven't seen or spoken to her in almost 10 years, and have no regrets.

I miss the concept of having a mom. Don't miss her.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:01 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,531,121 times
Wow, so unbelievably tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting