Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times

Advertisements

I am volunteering for my Summer Reading Program at my library this summer. The theme is "Every hero has a story."

I am trying to get a handler and a therapy dog to come and visit with the kids. I am also in search of any good children's books that you know of that have to do with therapy dogs or horses, search and rescue dogs, and any other helping animals for sick or handicapped people.

While we are at it I am also looking for any easy crafts that can be done with the children. I have a couple picked out but maybe there is something better.

I also need a like themed snack.

Thanks for all of your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Ummm... that theme is fairly common for 2015. A google search will get you lots of ideas.

I am surprised your librarian is not giving your guidance; I am surprised the library did not get the pre-made packet/program.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... that theme is fairly common for 2015. A google search will get you lots of ideas.

I am surprised your librarian is not giving your guidance; I am surprised the library did not get the pre-made packet/program.
I have looked all over the internet and found some ideas. Just looking for more or better ones

Yes my library has the book and I will get a copy on Friday but I don't think the section for animals is a very big one.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Summer reading program begins next week and I'm surprised a library would be expecting a volunteer to schedule special events, especially this late. However, your best resource really is the Children's Librarian.

They should know who to contact for such an appearance including the cost and whether the budget will cover it. They will know what books on the subject are available for story time, usually separate from guest appearances. They should know what kind of craft would be good and can also tell you whether they have the materials or if there is budget to acquire what is needed.

If I were doing this with my child care children and wanted to keep with the theme of service I would focus on dogs and do something easy that any age could do for a craft, like a paper plate dog mask. As long as you have the time to do the prep beforehand, this can be a simple craft.

Our library does not do snack of any kind because it is cost prohibitive (with the exception of popcorn for saturday movie time). It has to be either store bought or made in a commercial kitchen, so you can't just make your own dog bone shaped cookies or 'Puppy Chow' (also known as muddy buddies) at home and serve it to the kids. If it were me with my group of kids, either one of those would be fine.

How does your library present Summer Reading Program?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Summer reading program begins next week and I'm surprised a library would be expecting a volunteer to schedule special events, especially this late. However, your best resource really is the Children's Librarian.

They should know who to contact for such an appearance including the cost and whether the budget will cover it. They will know what books on the subject are available for story time, usually separate from guest appearances. They should know what kind of craft would be good and can also tell you whether they have the materials or if there is budget to acquire what is needed.

If I were doing this with my child care children and wanted to keep with the theme of service I would focus on dogs and do something easy that any age could do for a craft, like a paper plate dog mask. As long as you have the time to do the prep beforehand, this can be a simple craft.

Our library does not do snack of any kind because it is cost prohibitive (with the exception of popcorn for saturday movie time). It has to be either store bought or made in a commercial kitchen, so you can't just make your own dog bone shaped cookies or 'Puppy Chow' (also known as muddy buddies) at home and serve it to the kids. If it were me with my group of kids, either one of those would be fine.

How does your library present Summer Reading Program?
I live in a small town and the kids don't have much here. I volunteered for the summer reading program last year. It ran for an hour each friday. We broke it down into 20 minute intervals. Reading and asking the children questions about the topic for the first 20. 20 minutes for two crafts(depending on time), and the last 20 for snacks and juice. We are allowed homemade snacks.

We already have our guest appearance scheduled. Mr. Bond the Science Guy is a great entertainer for the kids. That is the first week before summer reading., The dog person I may get in is because my partner that day may know of someone who can stop by. I imagine that will be as a favor to the community as she is local. That was just a last minute idea when I asked if I could do dog heroes. My day id the last week of July.

The library has the money to purchase the books and also our prizes and giveaways. We have 3 big tubs of craft supplies in the back room. Drinks and packaged cookies are also on hand. Since we are small we have no problem donating a little more money with our time if it is needed.

I saw the paper plate dogs and that might be a good one. I also like the peat pot horses if I can get a horse therapy book.

I like the puppy chow idea. The kids can either eat those or take them home if I bag them up.

I will learn more when I see the summer reading manual on Friday. I just like to have ideas ready.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:23 AM

28 posts, read 28,106 times
Our reading program had an animal theme about 10 years ago (my kids are teens now). They made applesauce and peanut butter dog treats for the animal shelter. It was really cute. They also made chew toys for the shelter by tying knots in fabric strips. The fabric strips were made out of old t-shirts. The kids took a group photo with the goodies they baked and made. That photo ran in the newspaper.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofflin View Post
Our reading program had an animal theme about 10 years ago (my kids are teens now). They made applesauce and peanut butter dog treats for the animal shelter. It was really cute. They also made chew toys for the shelter by tying knots in fabric strips. The fabric strips were made out of old t-shirts. The kids took a group photo with the goodies they baked and made. That photo ran in the newspaper.

That is wonderful. I love helping kids and animals.

Yay….we have a woman coming in with her 2 therapy dogs. The kids will love it.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That is wonderful. I love helping kids and animals.

Yay….we have a woman coming in with her 2 therapy dogs. The kids will love it.
That is great. Our library has a Reading to Rover program (it's not called that here, but it was in Metairie, LA where we first went to it). The kids love sitting down and reading to the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting