Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:22 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times

Advertisements

As most people have mentioned it is a personal decision, which doesn't help you at all right? You likely have a few years to make that decision if you choose. Don't rush into something you do not feel ready for. Having a child is life altering and if anyone says it is not they are lying. Now you can wake up and be out the door in 15 min., forget it with a baby. By the time you get ready and feed the baby, dress the baby, change the baby and are ready to walk out it has pooped again and is ready to nurse again. You have to plan to go out, what to pack for the baby, best time to go and not interfere with it's naptime/feeding time etc. You lose a lot of sleep for awhile. You must always think of the baby first and his/her needs before yours. But on the other hand you have this little miracle, a part of you that you felt kick and move inside you for months. Its first smile will melt your heart, first laugh will crack you up. first shot will make YOU cry, first step will fill you with pride and excitment. They are life consuming (good and bad) but can be such a joy and fill your heart with so much love. Bottom line...your life will change, but that isn't always bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
How do you know when you are really ready to have a baby?
I sometimes think I am ready then other times I can't imagine losing all the freedom I now have.
I am in my late twenties and if I do decide to have children I would like to have one by the time I am 32, but I just don't have this overwhelming feeling that I MUST have a child.
How do you go about making such a huge life decision? I would hate to have regrets of not having them later in life but at the same time I know it's a huge life change. As I have heard it said... people say they want a baby but do you want a teenager? LOL
What is your advice?
I have never heard that about the teenager. But I will say this. There is never a right time. You just start trying and leave the rest to a higher power! Kids are a hand full but they are so much fun too. I only have one and will keep it that way if I have my way. He is great fun now. He just turned 8. He is getting a little pre teen on us already but that's life. My dad tells the story of a man he used to work with who would tell him he was crazy having "4 snot nosed kids at home to worry about" and he wouldn't have kids for nothing. My dad just shook his head and kept going. Then, a couple years ago, my dad ran into the man. He's old and alone. He told my dad he wished he had kids to come around and be there with him now. My dad let him have it. He told him you have to live through the good and bad with raising kids. It's not easy but he wouldn't take anything for us then and he sure wouldn't now that he's older and we are out of his house! That's to help you put it in perspective. I also have friends who don't have kids and are perfectly content. They take some awesome vacations, let me tell you. It's a personal decision. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting