Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
We tried Finding Nemo at age 3.5 or 4, and it was too soon for our twins. They were terrified of the opening sequence, and when we got to the shark we gave up. Then we traumatized them again with the Lion King musical when they were almost five.

We didn't try Disney again for another couple of years, and only watched them when little brother was asleep or elsewhere until he hit five or six. As a result they are all pretty woefully ignorant of a lot of Disney movies that their friends grew up with, so I know not everyone has this experience.

In the meantime, some videos they loved that I could stand to watch, too: Scooby Doo (especially the older ones--the more recent ones are less fun and more likely to be offensive); Animaniacs; Curious George.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:39 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,934,041 times
My daughter is 2 and she enjoys such Disney Movies as Frozen, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, Jungle Book, Tangled, and the Television Series Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

A few parts in Finding Nemo make her a little uneasy with the shark and the opening sequence but for the most part she gets over it real quick and it hasn't affected her from wanting to watch.

We are part of the Disney Movie Club and we also received the Tinkerbell movie about that Never Beast?... forget the title but I know it's a long one. She watched it a few times and I noticed a pattern that she'd have nightmares at night and wake up in the middle of the night completely freaking out.... The Never Beast seemed to make her uneasy, so for right now we've put that away.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,244,230 times
Im nearly 50 and they are appropriate for me

Old 06-30-2015, 01:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,228 times
The "princess" ones are not allowed in this house, but my kids like Finding Nemo, Cars, Planes, and a bunch of non Disney (non princess) movies too.

I am so thankful my kids are not scared of stuff! My son will sometimes look tense and he even screamed at that weird dog from Despicable Me, but it never lasts, no nightmares or anything. I can't even watch scary movie trailers without getting freaked out! I didn't want them to have that anxiety.

It really depends on the kid I guess and what YOU as the parent want to be impressed upon them.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
The "princess" ones are not allowed in this house, but my kids like Finding Nemo, Cars, Planes, and a bunch of non Disney (non princess) movies too.

I am so thankful my kids are not scared of stuff! My son will sometimes look tense and he even screamed at that weird dog from Despicable Me, but it never lasts, no nightmares or anything. I can't even watch scary movie trailers without getting freaked out! I didn't want them to have that anxiety.

It really depends on the kid I guess and what YOU as the parent want to be impressed upon them.
thanks for sharing.
why not the princess movies (like frozen, Cinderella, sleeping beauty, etc.)?
Because you don't want them to think that behaving like a princess is how it is in 'reality'? or...

Old 06-30-2015, 02:18 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
i know parents that think 'the simpsons' are a kids show. also there was an 'adult swim' bump about a parent that was mad about the content their 7 year old was watching at midnite on a school nite.

i heard there was contraversy with 'cars 3' because they had mafia cars that beat up another car and spilled a lot of oil ?

Old 06-30-2015, 03:23 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
My son watched Finding Nemo at about 3/4 and that would have made my daughter 18 months/2 (though she didn't have much of an attention span) and he was fine. They've watched the Little Mermaid, Rapunzel, Cars, Frozen, Planes, Tangled though the only one my daughter had interest in was Frozen. My son loved Cars but didn't really care for Cars 2 at the age of 4 and still doesn't care for it at the age of 7. They loved Toy Story (though is that Disney) at 2/3. They also watched a lot of Dora around the ages of 2/3.

They got into Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo, Octonauts, Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:16 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
For us, it's been dependent on each child: attention span and susceptibility to fear being the two biggest factors. Followed by: the overall message presented, and any objectionable language/scenes.

Some of mine weren't interested in sitting through a full-length movie at 2-3 years old (one child in particular) some were easily disturbed by frightening images (one child in particular) some were more prone to repeating questionable language/actions (one child in particular.)

We still try to "pre-watch" a lot of what we're unsure of for our kids. My oldest is ok with a lot of PG-13, but not all--we like to know what we're getting into before we say "yes." For the younger ones, we often skip through the upsetting scenes in movies: years went by where I did not see the barracuda scene in Nemo, or the stampede scene in Lion King, for example.

I limited princessy things more with my older daughter. After a while I relaxed some, and I made comments while we watched together about how silly certain aspects of the story were (love the line in Frozen: "you got engaged to man you just met THAT DAY?!" ) And positive attributes of the film/characters.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:28 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
A boy 5 years old: Peter Pan too scary, loved original cinderella

Since 6 likes to watch peter pan, not too scary anymore, not watch original cinderella anymore because that is a "girls movie". His sexist cousins are teaching him to learn to be a sexist young man, that is sad.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Definitely every child is different. My daughter's favorite movie at age 4 was Jaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting