Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM

7 posts, read 14,013 times

Advertisements

Call me old fashioned but, I personally still believe this should be taught by the parents. Looking to move to Medford, NJ and was curious when the school district starts teaching sex-ed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,264 times
You can check out their curriculum guide and it might say. I think the curriculum may come from the state and cover certain things at 5th/6th/7th/8th (and HS? not sure). However, each district probably puts their own spin on it. I agree they sometimes cover T.M.I....

Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Sounds like we have another Nunnor....

Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
This website contains information about what is taught in all states:

What About My State?

These are the relevant sections of NJ's actual laws on what is taught:

Quote:
New Jersey law mandates at least 150 minutes of health education during each school week in grades one through twelve. In addition, high school students must acquire 3 ¾ credits of health education each year. School districts must align their health education curricula with the New Jersey Department of Education's Core Curriculum Content Standards.

One of the four required health education standards, Standard 2.4:Human Relationships and Sexuality, addresses three subject areas: relationships, sexuality, and pregnancy and parenting. Learning expectations within Standard 2.4 focus on abstinence and helping students to identify and address internal and external pressures to become sexually active. Standard 2.4 also mandates that instruction in middle and high school classes address the use of contraceptive methods and risk reduction strategies as well as the implications of their use. Standard 2.4 also requires including information about sexual orientation. In addition to Standard 2.4, sexuality related information is also included in Standard 2.1: Wellness and Standard 2.3: Drugs and Medicines. Standard 2.1 includes sexually transmitted disease (STD)- and HIV/AIDS-prevention education, and Standard 2.3 addresses the impact of alcohol and drug use on the incidence of sexual assault, STDs, and unintended pregnancy.

In addition, the New Jersey Comprehensive Health Education and Physical Education Curriculum, put out by the New Jersey Department of Education, includes detailed suggestions for teaching about HIV/AIDS, STDs, and teen pregnancy prevention.

State law also requires that:

Any instruction concerning the use of contraceptives or prophylactics such as condoms shall also include information on their failure rates for preventing pregnancy, HIV, and other sexually transmitted diseases in actual use among adolescent populations and shall clearly explain the difference between risk reduction through the use of such devices and risk elimination through abstinence.

New Jersey allows parents or guardians to remove their children from any or all parts of sexuality, STD-prevention, and HIV/AIDS-prevention education or any topic that conflicts with their “sincerely held beliefs.” This is referred to as an “opt-out” policy. Local boards of education must establish procedures by which students may be removed from class, and alternative assignments must be created.

See New Jersey Statutes Amended 18A:35-4.7, 18A:35-4.20, and 18A:35-4.21; New Jersey Administrative Code 6A:8-3.1; and New Jersey Comprehensive Health Education and Physical Education Curriculum.
So, "health education" begins in grade one. By grade 4/5 they will generally begin discussing puberty. By middle school and thoughout high school there is actual "sex education" that covers all of the topics you most likely don't want them hearing about in school. You are well within your rights to "opt out" and request that your children not receive this instruction. Instead your kid will get a study hall and some other work to do.

The rest of your question regarding "what age is appropriate" is one better asked on the Parenting forum. However, I will say that you and I most likely have very different views on this. I have no problem with my kids learning about these things in school, because they will have already learned about them at home long before the lessons start. I don't think there is a "talk", but an ongoing age appropriate conversation that begins early in life.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM

7 posts, read 14,013 times
I have no problem with schools teaching sex-ed, but wanted to make sure they didn't beat me to it like you say. I want to cover all areas before making a decision on a school.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You are well within your rights to "opt out" and request that your children not receive this instruction. Instead your kid will get a study hall and some other work to do.
As a note: If you do, everyone in the class is going to notice and your kid is probably going to get heavily made fun of.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
By grade 4/5 they will generally begin discussing puberty.
Ha I remember this. They gave us deodorant and then we just watched a random movie (The Westing Game I think, so long ago). Meanwhile, the girls in the other room were talked to for the entire duration of the movie.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM

386 posts, read 871,879 times
Problem is, there are too many parents who dodge the issue.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:06 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,974,789 times
Grew up in that town decades ago. 5th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey