Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times

Advertisements

is it 'neglect' to allow your 6 and 10-year-old kids walk home from the park alone?

Quote:
It was a one-mile walk home from a Silver Spring park on Georgia Avenue on a Saturday afternoon. But what the parents saw as a moment of independence for their 10-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter, they say authorities viewed much differently.

Danielle and Alexander Meitiv say they are being investigated for neglect for the Dec. 20 trek — in a case they say reflects a clash of ideas about how safe the world is and whether parents are free to make their own choices about raising their children.

Parents investigated for neglect after letting kids walk home alone - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,946,866 times
Crazy! I walked myself to and from school beginning in Kintergarten at age 5-in Philadelphia! And this was the 1990's.

I'd bike all over the neighborhood and play outside with friends until dark.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,595,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Crazy! I walked myself to and from school beginning in Kintergarten at age 5-in Philadelphia! And this was the 1990's.

I'd bike all over the neighborhood and play outside with friends until dark.
I remember walking as a 3-4 year-old-toddler a mile and back to the store. none of the other kids were older than 7 or 8.

is it really that much more dangerous now than it was in the 50s-80s, or has society just gotten paranoid?

Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,815,459 times
Yeah, walking home during the day on a Saturday afternoon doesn't seem all that horrible to me.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
I saw that story, and I was appalled. My first thought when reading that the officers scared the children by telling them that bad people were just waiting out there to snatch them off the street was that if it's not safe for a fifth grader to walk home from the playground, then law enforcement is not doing its job.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,503,462 times
Yes I wrote a whole post on this "what happens when you call the police."

Old 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,656,002 times
My brother and I (and sometimes my older sister) used to walk five miles to get to a park on the weekends. We'd play in the park all day and then walk the five mines back home. Summertime, I'd get on my bike and be gone all day, with a short stop back at home for a PB&J and a glass of milk. We started walking to the park when I was probably around 7 or 8; I was around 10 when I would be all day on my bike.

Before I was four years old, my sister, brother and I would walk to the river and play, trying to catch minnows all day! That would have made my sister around 8 years old and my brother 7 years old.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:32 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
many sick violent bad parents think they are normal.
i speak from experience. the miracle is i am not dead.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,383,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
many sick violent bad parents think they are normal.
i speak from experience. the miracle is i am not dead.
I hope you're not trying to imply that these parents are abusive simply because they allowed their children to walk home from a playground.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:00 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,322,063 times
Stories like this really anger me, and frankly, had I known it was like this in our society, I would have not had children or I would've moved to another country first, because to me, your children are YOUR children and short of molestation etc you should get to do whatever the heck you wish because you're the parent. Short of extremes like starvation or whipping with a bull whip, parental authority should be absolute and anything and anyone that interferes with it should be destroyed.

Anyone who would interfere in parental authority--and that includes the police and CPS--they belong in an African safari without protection from the lions, if you ask me. Anyone, ANYONE who would DARE interfere in a parent's business should be given the 'don't let the door hit you on the way out" treatment. Nothing would please me more than for these nut jobs to go after someone with lots of money and then, rather than the person speak of "cooperating with authorities" and all of that nonsense, they get just as nasty as it gets and let loose the biggest pack of legal wolves since OJ's "Super Team" in 1994 onto these meddling storm troopers. These people don't need to be cooperated with, they need to be resisted and to be tied up in so much legal red-tape that they can't see their face on account of it. Let it be known that if you DARE interfere in a parent's business without a GOOD reason, you will be treated like the scoundrel you are and paraded in shame for all the world to see.

Last edited by shyguylh; 01-15-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting