Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't find Hope Solo to be much different from Tom Brady or Alex Rodriguez in character issues. You can find bad decisions for any major sports star if you look hard enough. I grew up right next to Mike Vick's hometown in Virginia and I never remember a big burning of his jersey there when he got did in on the dogfighting. Heck, you can probably look in the anywhere in the 757 and find at least one Vick jersey per day. I don't think you worship the person just because you wear a jersey by them. I mean I don't worship my employer when I wear my badge to get into the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,170,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Male sport stars are a dime a dozen, so they can be held to a higher standard.

Another gender-based double standard...

Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Tom Brady received a four game suspension for cheating.

Would you let your child wear a Tom Brady jersey?
That's a non-issue, because my kids were raised better than to root for the New England Patriots.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We can hope!
We certainly hope not!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:53 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
That's a non-issue, because my kids were raised better than to root for the New England Patriots.
LOL!!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Is the kid wearing the jersey in recognition of her goalkeeping abilities or her extensive self-taken close-up photo collection of her lady parts and anus?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,982,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Another gender-based double standard...
Of course it is, but that doesn't make it less factual. Walk into any sporting goods store, and let me know how many female sport jerseys you find for sale. Then compare it to the men's jerseys.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:05 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Yes. I don't care about off the field antics/behavior. If you are wearing a jersey the only thing it means is you are a fan of the way they play. Athletes do not have to be role models. Great players can be huge jerks/criminals/whatever. That's why sports don't have a hall of sportsmanship or hall of personality, only hall of fames.
I only feel that way to a certain extent, and everyone has their own perspective on it. I'm just curious where other people draw the line. If I had a kid, I don't know if I would let her have the jersey (or poster or whatever.)

Quote:
Of course they are different. I just thought I'd point out to the OP that the jersey worn by thousands of people is the jersey of a man who cheated. But..... Brady sells tens of thousands of jerseys, is married to a super model, and no one starts threads about the ethics of wearing his jersey.
Wearing the jersey isn't ethical or unethical. I was trying to dig into whether or not parents would find it supportive of her decisions off the field. I don't see what Brady has to do with this, and while what he did may or may not be worse, its a totally different classification of transgression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Personally, I don't find Hope Solo to be much different from Tom Brady or Alex Rodriguez in character issues. You can find bad decisions for any major sports star if you look hard enough. I grew up right next to Mike Vick's hometown in Virginia and I never remember a big burning of his jersey there when he got did in on the dogfighting. Heck, you can probably look in the anywhere in the 757 and find at least one Vick jersey per day. I don't think you worship the person just because you wear a jersey by them. I mean I don't worship my employer when I wear my badge to get into the building.
I think that a lot of people in the 757 simply view Michael Vick as a product of his environment.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I was trying to dig into whether or not parents would find it supportive of her decisions off the field.
Very few people wear the jersey of an athlete to show support for what they do off the field.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:02 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,255,838 times
Quote:
Very few people wear the jersey of an athlete to show support for what they do off the field.
My boys don't wear a Neymar jersey because he is a great guy, just a great soccer player. Not sure what i would do with their jersey's if he beat his girlfriend. His antics at Copa America allowed me to discuss a few life lessons with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting