Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Wow, I'm fascinated by the reactions.

I was wanderer when I was a kid. My mother finally resorted to a harness when I was outside. Don't remember any of it, Wasn't harmed by it. Was probably saved from danger because of it. There were a lot of kids in my family and she had a mother with dementia she was watching out for. I would walk right out the door when her back was turned.
I dont think that a mom choosing to use a simple harness with a child and a da care provider strapping a child in a seat are the same thing. One is for safety, one is for convenience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
When I worked in the public schools, this was expressly prohibited. I agree with hypocore, I would check to see if it is allowed. I would also ask them for a copy of their discipline policy. Dollars to doughnuts they don't have one in writing.

Next, I'd be finding a new daycare.
^^^ That. I have a son with Down syndrome and I caught the school doing this to keep him in his seat in a special education classroom. She said "We didn't think you would mind." I said "Take it off!" Turns out they had other barbaric issues which were brought to the attention of the State.

I wanted my child to learn self-control for one thing and I definitely oppose strapping him down to a chair anyway. This would be like me having leashed him in the yard and I cannot imagine the "visit" I would have gotten on that one.

At the time of this incident, my son was functioning at a 2 year old level and was curious about his surrounding. Toddlers and pre-schoolers should be curious about their surrounding. Also, depending on the child, it can be very uncomfortable to sit in one spot.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 AM

920 posts, read 932,031 times
To ensure your child's safety, you must be the one to care for them

It's not worth it to take chances with a toddler.

If Mom can get into another line of work, or even sign up for food stamps to get by, that's the way to go imho.

It's just not worth it

Old 07-15-2015, 10:09 AM

206 posts, read 382,825 times
What were they doing at the time? The one situation in which I can understand this would be if they were feeding her at the time--don't most high chairs and toddler boosters come with safety straps? I know we used them with our kids, though maybe not by age 3.

Otherwise, I agree, not acceptable. (And not even for feeding if the problem was that she wasn't hungry.)

Old 07-15-2015, 10:15 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
I am a 3 year old preschool teacher and our center would never use this as a technique to encourage a child to stay in their seat. This is absolutely wrong and not age appropriate. From your description it sounds like the workers were trying to hide what they were doing when you entered the room, I would be looking for another daycare.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:21 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Definitely have your daughter contact the licensing authorities. And I personally would pull my child immediately and find another childcare provider.

And I don't even know how to begin to address the narrow minded people who took this opportunity to bash working parents who use childcare. Ridiculous.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:37 AM

88,585 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Definitely have your daughter contact the licensing authorities. And I personally would pull my child immediately and find another childcare provider.

And I don't even know how to begin to address the narrow minded people who took this opportunity to bash working parents who use childcare. Ridiculous.
Yes, made me think I was back in the 70s.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:45 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I picked up my granddaughter, who is almost 3, from daycare today. When I went into her classroom, she was pulled off to the side with the 2 teachers in a chair. I said "Is she in trouble?" They both looked at each other and one looks at me and says, "no, she just wasn't staying in her chair". One of the teachers quickly removed a cloth with velcro around her waist that was used to strap her to the chair. At first, I was caught off guard and thought wow that is strange to strap a child to a chair. Are they legally able to do that at at a daycare?

I understand the intentions and there was no harm but what would go through your mind? My daughter is furious and is going to talk to them tomorrow. She's even thinking about pulling her from that daycare. She said it makes her think, if they strap her to the seat, are they mean to her other times or what else do they do?

Why do parents immediately blame the daycare? I guess their special snowflake couldn't possibly have been acting like a little assclown and wouldn't sit down, right?

I know my grandson, and I can totally see him needing to be strapped to a chair, because he doesn't mind anyone.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
To ensure your child's safety, you must be the one to care for them

It's not worth it to take chances with a toddler.

If Mom can get into another line of work, or even sign up for food stamps to get by, that's the way to go imho.

It's just not worth it
This country is well and truly doomed.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:52 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
I would be concerned. No confinement is necessary, or legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting