Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM

358 posts, read 229,258 times

Advertisements

One of my friends messages me on facebook saying her husband hit their kid. I am thinking like punched or slapped in the face. No, she sends a pic of his butt which is red. I was like so and?

Her kid is 2 or 3 years old. Ive been around her and her kid and he seems to lack zero discipline. Doesnt obey, throws temper tantrums, etc.

I tried to explain to her spanking is needed at an early age to instill discipline. Kids learn what is acceptable behavior and consequences for misbehaving.

She replies spanking is unjust. I am sitting their dumbfounded.

Scolding generally does not work, especially with very young kids.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:47 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
My husband wanted to be one of those that didn't spank, and it didn't last but about 1 1/2 years.

I slap the mouth for saying bad things, spitting, or biting. Basically, anything dealing with the mouth.

I slap the hands for hitting, punching, pulling hair, etc. Basically, anything dealing with the hands.

It's hard to spank a foot, so all other behavior gets the tush for a spanking.

My daughter is now 7 1/2 and she hasn't been spanked in a very long time as she gets sent to her room. My son is 4 1/2 and he's a work in progress...

Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 AM

358 posts, read 229,258 times
Yea, 2 - 6 is crucial for instilling discipline. Generally, you take care of business early you will have much smoother sailing later on.

Can't believe my friend is this naive. Her kid is disrespectful and acts a fool half the time. Smdh

Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Grey View Post
Yea, 2 - 6 is crucial for instilling discipline. Generally, you take care of business early you will have much smoother sailing later on.

Can't believe my friend is this naive. Her kid is disrespectful and acts a fool half the time. Smdh
I can't believe she sent you a photo of her kids butt. I can't believe she TOOK a photo of his butt.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:40 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
My husband wanted to be one of those that didn't spank, and it didn't last but about 1 1/2 years.

I slap the mouth for saying bad things, spitting, or biting. Basically, anything dealing with the mouth.

I slap the hands for hitting, punching, pulling hair, etc. Basically, anything dealing with the hands.

My daughter is now 7 1/2 and she hasn't been spanked in a very long time as she gets sent to her room. My son is 4 1/2 and he's a work in progress...
My mom would slap my face when we'd be arguing and she'd just get pissed and hit me.
Now I'm extra flinchy when people move quickly near my face.

Do your kids a favor and quit hitting them in the face.
Barbaric...just barbaric.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:

They will have fully learned by now that hitting people is not only acceptable way to act, its perfectly ok to do it if you can't think of any other way to resolve the situation. You have taught them well by your actions.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion Grey View Post

Yes its definitely easiest to scare them when they are small. Especially when you're an effectively omnipotent huge giant to them. Great way to parent. Because good parenting is shown by absolute obedience from the smaller being to the bigger one right?

Whenever I see that I say to myself "there's a parent who sure knows how to hit."

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times
Science has recently shown that spanking as a form of discipline harms the child in the long run.

Lack of discipline also harms the child.

The solution is very very easy. Learn how to effectively discipline your child WITHOUT hitting them. Timeouts, taking away privileges, positive and negative reinforcement, are all very effective discipline tools that don't require hitting.

Parents who ignore science and just hit their kids instead of disciplining them another way are lazy and doing their kids a disservice. But hey, that's okay, because it gives the rest of our kids an advantage. There's no law that says that you have to want the best for your kid. Feel free to screw them up to your heart's desire. I have the law of the survival of the fittest on my side.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:

Wow wow wow.

I was spanked as a child, but on the butt. I wasn't opposed to it as a parent, but I think I had to swat my kid on the pants, like once or twice. The right tone of voice and look took care of most situations.

Slapping the mouth??? This is ... WAY out of line.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Ah yes one of those "Only spanked kids are disciplined properly" parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting